I think this is a playoff team if....

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
But we won't win those games , since our offense is worse. You aren't accounting for the loss of offensive output and the other teams around us improving...

Also making the playoffs requires more points than previously , your scenario doesn't account for that either as well as being overly optimistic.

I think the only chance this team has is for them to let in less than 2 goals, those are the only games they will win.

Last year the team scored 207 goals, the Vezna year habs scored only 7 more goals for 214.

So basically this teams only chance is for Price to repeat his Vezna/Hart year and win 37 games where he allows only less than 2 goals. If that doesn't happen (which it probably won't)then they have no chance.

Not saying it will, what I am saying is the only way this team can make the playoffs if for Price to repeat his 2015 performance.

You might be like me and think it won't happen, or you might think it will. But if Price doesn't have that performance there is no way this team is making the playoffs. Thats the only hope. Question is can lightning strike twice?

The thread is I this is a playoff team if... Its not money down on your prediction thread. Its a fantasy thread where we give our fantasy scenario where it would be possible for the team to make the playoffs.

For me looking at it the only mathematical way for this team to make the playoffs is for Price to win 37 games or so at 2 goals or less because the team does not have the offensive firepower to win games 4-3, 5-4 etc... Shoot out wins, 3 on 3 wins and 2-1, 1-0 games are all they will win.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well I don't think the team is going to score a lot this year so the only hope is for them to allow less than 2 goals a game. The team did it 51 times in 2015 during Prices Vezna/Hart season.

So to me the only shot this team has at making the playoffs is for Price to repeat that performance and win 37 games where he lets in 2 goals or less. If that doesn't happen the team doesn't have a chance to make the playoffs.
With our D? Teams like the Leafs, Bruins and Lightning will light us up for fun and I predict that we will rarely see the other teams starting goalie and still get steamrolled on a game in game out basis. A 60-65 point team and that is only because of Ottawa and Detroit sucking like us.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
With our D? Teams like the Leafs, Bruins and Lightning will light us up for fun and I predict that we will rarely see the other teams starting goalie and still get steamrolled on a game in game out basis. A 60-65 point team and that is only because of Ottawa and Detroit sucking like us.

And I say your prediction is probably going to come true. I think my posts have made it clear that I am not the biggest Price fan.

I don't think Price is going to be good enough or have enough support to win 37 games by letting in 2 goals or less. But with this roster, offense and defense the only way they win games is by Price playing out of his mind and bailing out the D all night and winning 1 goal games.

I don't think its possible, but do you think Price can repeat and win 37 at 2 goals or less?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And I say your prediction is probably going to come true. I think my posts have made it clear that I am not the biggest Price fan.

I don't think Price is going to be good enough or have enough support to win 37 games by letting in 2 goals or less. But with this roster, offense and defense the only way they win games is by Price playing out of his mind and bailing out the D all night and winning 1 goal games.

I don't think its possible, but do you think Price can repeat and win 37 at 2 goals or less?
It is tough to look in the direction of any goalie when your team has no number one or 2 center and one of the worst D squads in the league but I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Runner77

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Say we make the playoff by some miracle. Price stands on his head and pulls a Halak 40 of the 50 games he plays or something, then what?

Is the goal to simply make the playoffs and get our ass handed to us, again? This team needs a major overhaul, top to bottom starting with the ownership to management to coaching and players. We've been stuck in mediocrity since 93 and just when we ad a glimpse of hope with the emergence of Subban, Galcehnyuk, Gallagher, Eller, etc.. we had them stuck with Therrien and Julien before Bergevin decided to pulls his best Martin and Houle impression and trade them all away for peanuts.

We now have a lineup that will struggle to compete at the AHL, never mind the NHL.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Say we make the playoff by some miracle. Price stands on his head and pulls a Halak 40 of the 50 games he plays or something, then what?

Is the goal to simply make the playoffs and get our ass handed to us, again? This team needs a major overhaul, top to bottom starting with the ownership to management to coaching and players. We've been stuck in mediocrity since 93 and just when we ad a glimpse of hope with the emergence of Subban, Galcehnyuk, Gallagher, Eller, etc.. we had them stuck with Therrien and Julien before Bergevin decided to pulls his best Martin and Houle impression and trade them all away for peanuts.

We now have a lineup that will struggle to compete at the AHL, never mind the NHL.

Why are you so worried about the possibility of making the PO if you think that we have a lineup that will struggle to compete in the AHL?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Why are you so worried about the possibility of making the PO if you think that we have a lineup that will struggle to compete in the AHL?
Because of how it will affect our first round draft pick position.

Because management and most fans seems to believe that the old adage "anything can happen in the playoffs" mean that even mediocre teams can win the cup, when in reality they almost never advance past the first round. And that delays the full on rebuild we need for another year and the another and another and before you know it, we're the new Maple Leafs with 40 years since our last cup.

Because I'm sick and tired of seeing us lose in the first and second round.

Because I want to see us be like Pittsburgh with a team aiming for a 3-peat not a team hoping to sneak into the playoffs on a wild card spot.

Basically, because I'm a Canadiens fan and want them to actually win a cup.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Because of how it will affect our first round draft pick position.

Because management and most fans seems to believe that the old adage "anything can happen in the playoffs" mean that even mediocre teams can win the cup, when in reality they almost never advance past the first round. And that delays the full on rebuild we need for another year and the another and another and before you know it, we're the new Maple Leafs with 40 years since our last cup.

Because I'm sick and tired of seeing us lose in the first and second round.

Because I want to see us be like Pittsburgh with a team aiming for a 3-peat not a team hoping to sneak into the playoffs on a wild card spot.

Basically, because I'm a Canadiens fan and want them to actually win a cup.

And what are you suggesting? That players go out there and lose on purpose? This will never happen.

They will go out there and do their best. If we suck, we suck...

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
And what are you suggesting? That players go out there and lose on purpose? This will never happen.

Bergevin could help the team and guide them to the Bottom of the standing by trading Pacioretty, Plekanec, Byron, one of Weber or Petry and Price and taking cap dump. That's being pro-active and having a direction and a plan for the team. Bergevin will do half-measures and will get half-results.

Reactions: bsl and Edgy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Bergevin could help the team and guide them to the Bottom of the standing by trading Pacioretty, Plekanec, Byron, one of Weber or Petry and Price and taking cap dump. That's being pro-active and having a direction and a plan for the team. Bergevin will do half-measures and will get half-results.
I don't agree with this sell everything approach, you usually enter in some sort of never-ending cycle of a terrible team that even if it drafts high year after year it still sucks like the Oilers or Buffalo.

You need solid vets on the team that can show your youngsters the way.

I would personally trade Pacioretty and Byron but keep Weber, Petry and Price.

Reactions: bsl

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I don't agree with this sell everything approach, you usually enter in some sort of never-ending cycle of a terrible team that even if it drafts high year after year it still sucks like the Oilers or Buffalo.

You need solid vets on the team that can show your youngsters the way.

I would personally trade Pacioretty and Byron but keep Weber, Petry and Price.

By keeping both Weber and Petry and Price, you might miss on the top end talent the team really need and be stuck in a never ending spiral of mediocrity. Never good enough to contend and never bad enough to draft top end talent.

I keep Weber or Petry and Gallagher, That's 2 solid veteran and you could sign veteran UFA to surround the Young core. By trading Weber and Petry you also get more 1st round pick. So either more odds to win the draft lotery or more ammunition to move up in the draft.

Reactions: bsl and Edgy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
By keeping both Weber and Petry and Price, you might miss on the top end talent the team really need and be stuck in a never ending spiral of mediocrity. Never good enough to contend and never bad enough to draft top end talent.

I keep Weber or Petry and Gallagher, That's 2 solid veteran and you could sign veteran UFA to surround the Young core. By trading Weber and Petry you also get more 1st round pick. So either more odds to win the draft lotery or more ammunition to move up in the draft.
Trading elite established players for futures is usually a complete failure!

Those guys will get traded to contenders, so we're talking about late first rounders where there's no guarantee whatsoever.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Trading elite established players for futures is usually a complete failure!

Those guys will get traded to contenders, so we're talking about late first rounders where there's no guarantee whatsoever.

You can also get back good or great prospect(s) with that 1st round pick. Either way there is more upside and hope with 1 or 2 big tanking years than with Price and Weber who are both injury prone and on the wrong side of the 30 age mark. I have no confidence that in 4 or 5 years when Kotkaniemi and Phoeling will be ready to make an impact both Price and Weber will be still useful players.

Reactions: bsl and Bryson

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You can also get back good or great prospect(s) with that 1st round pick. Either way there is more upside and hope with 1 or 2 big tanking years than with Price and Weber who are both injury prone and on the wrong side of the 30 age mark. I have no confidence that in 4 or 5 years when Kotkaniemi and Phoeling will be ready to make an impact both Price and Weber will be still useful players.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers!

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

I already said what needs to be done in the previous post you quoted.

The "if we suck, we suck" attitude is exactly why we're stuck being mediocre. Molson has accepted it, Bergevin and countless GMs before him, have made sure of it and I'm sick of it.

We went from a team that was missing a piece or 2 to being a real contender to a team that only has a piece or 2 stopping it from becoming the next perpetual bottom feeder.

This team is no longer Les Glorieux and it's about high time we stopped living on the glories of 24 cups from ages ago and start fixing our problems.

We're now a team content to make the playoffs. Sweeping the Bruins in the regular season is our Stanley Cup.

That is what I'm suggesting.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I already said what needs to be done in the previous post you quoted.

The "if we suck, we suck" attitude is exactly why we're stuck being mediocre. Molson has accepted it, Bergevin and countless GMs before him, have made sure of it and I'm sick of it.

We went from a team that was missing a piece or 2 to being a real contender to a team that only has a piece or 2 stopping it from becoming the next perpetual bottom feeder.

This team is no longer Les Glorieux and it's about high time we stopped living on the glories of 24 cups from ages ago and start fixing our problems.

We're now a team content to make the playoffs. Sweeping the Bruins in the regular season is our Stanley Cup.

That is what I'm suggesting.

How can you say that this team was one or two pieces away from being a serious contender when all I've been reading around here through the entire Therrien coaching time was that this team is nothing but Carey Price?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Our offense keeps getting worse , especially when including offense generated by our D and Weber's injury.

I don't see where your argument shows how we plan on matching/outproducing the previous years where Price had elite stats. Essentially your scenario has everything going perfectly and even then I don't think it's enough to get us in. Finishing right outside the playoffs is by far the worst possible outcome.

The current D cannot hold a candle to the D in 2015. With Weber it's a league bottom 5 D or worse. Without, it's barely AHL level. Goaltending can only contribute so much. It will not be pretty.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
How can you say that this team was one or two pieces away from being a serious contender when all I've been reading around here through the entire Therrien coaching time was that this team is nothing but Carey Price?
Seriously?! Did you read any of my posts that you quoted before you did? Or are you just arguing with other people through me?

Here's a thought, argue your point with the people that wrote what you read. What I presented was my opinion.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Seriously?! Did you read any of my posts that you quoted before you did? Or are you just arguing with other people through me?

Here's a thought, argue your point with the people that wrote what you read. What I presented was my opinion.
I did!

Wasn't this your take?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I did!

Wasn't this your take?

It was. Not sure where the disconnect is, I specifically mentioned several players not named Price and said they provided a glimpse of hope for us becoming a contender. I never said the team was all Price.

We've been stuck in mediocrity since 93 and just when we ad a glimpse of hope with the emergence of Subban, Galcehnyuk, Gallagher, Eller, etc... we had them stuck with Therrien and Julien before Bergevin decided to pulls his best Martin and Houle impression and trade them all away for peanuts.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It was. Not sure where the disconnect is, I specifically mentioned several players not named Price and said they provided a glimpse of hope for us becoming a contender. I never said the team was all Price.
Let's just agree to disagree then.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Really?

I think I can be a millionaire...

If I decide to play a lottery ticket and
If I get the ticket purchased in time and
If I chose all 7 winning numbers and
If I get my ticket checked and
If I don't lose the ticket and
If I hand the ticket in to collect the money and
If I don't get into a life ending accident during this whole process...

Yup, just like the Habs not making the playoffs, I won't be a millionaire!

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Call me biased but I still think Price is the best in the league. Holtby actually had a defense in front of him yet he put up identical numbers as Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->