Post-Game Talk: I guess I'll make it... Oilers Lose 4-1

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Can definitely tell lots of posters are tuning out. Only 4 pages in a PGT after a loss. Wonder how many casual fans are finding better things to do with their time then watch this team?

The fair way to gauge fans interest is, how many people attended tonight's game at rexall? If the answer is a sellout then the organization has nothing to worry about.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
The thing that frustrated me as much as Yaks bad play on OV's goal is Eberles awful turnover at the Caps blueline that led to Chimera's goal. Seriously im so sick of Eberle trying to dispy doodle at the blueline instead of dumping it in or pass to a teammate coming with speed.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Yak was still trying to do too much by himself from what I saw. Doesn't seem to be getting the message.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Can definitely tell lots of posters are tuning out. Only 4 pages in a PGT after a loss. Wonder how many casual fans are finding better things to do with their time then watch this team?

Probably lots. I saw only some of the 2nd and none of the third and im far from casual. Just have better things to do that wont just piss me off doing.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Compared to the lazy games we've seen in the past this is refreshing.

Contrary to popular belief, some teams do play well and lose games.

The Sharks outshot and outplayed the Bruins by a wide margin today and still lost in regulation.

You're completely missing the point. The Sharks are sitting #1 in the West. These type of games are Ok to have for them because they usually win them. The gigantic, and I mean gigantic difference is that we usually do not.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton

Forget the casuals, some of the hardcores are getting fed up.

If this goes on for much longer Oiler tickets will be dirt cheap due to lack of fan interest :help:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
At the game section 130 row 3, so Caps net for 1st & 3rd.

My perspective : Oilers dominated the 1st and it seemed our top line was unlucky not to score. Yak had some nice creative moments. RNH was tenacious.

We never got a good look at the 2nd goal but sure looked like interference to me.

Perron & JSchultz were great. Belov was steady but needs to shoot. We overpass as a team.

4th line & Jones were quite solid.

Felt Arcobello & Hemsky didn't look great.

Dubnyk should have had Chimera's I think.

Overall for 2 periods I thought we played extremely well and we're unlucky not to be up.

Obviously the 3rd goal was a backbreaker and they just looked gassed the rest of the game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes but SJ is 8-1-1, that is completely different. If the Oilers played well and lost games sometimes that is fine. Being 3-7-1 vs 8-1-1 like the Sharks is a huge difference and makes that point irrelevant.

Of course.

Fine, I'll use another example. In their last game against the Jets, the Caps were outshot 47-32 and still managed to win the game.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Forget the casuals, some of the hardcores are getting fed up.

If this goes on for much longer Oiler tickets will be dirt cheap due to lack of fan interest :help:

This organization have become the Islanders of the west and its been going on for almost a decade, do you really see fan interest dwindling? Look at the stands.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Thats a reason for selfish/lazy play?

I'll try it another way.

Yakupov is a terrible defensive player, and a horribly selfish player, we both agree(just for the sake of the discussion)

Why then, is he on the first line playing against Ovechkin, the best goal scorer in the NHL for most of the night?

Either Eakins has no idea what he's doing with line matching, believes whatever matchup he sends outs against Ovechkin's line is going to lose no matter what and is sacrificing his lost causes, or is just flat out getting schooled by the opposing coaches.

That's not excusing Yakupov, that's pointing out there is a major problem with where he is playing.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Also wrt line matching for most of the game I didn't think Washington top line was destroying us.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Could not catch a bounce to save our lives today.

First two periods were strong, but that entire top line made some boneheaded plays all night. Every one of them.

The Arco line was off today too, despite a fair few scoring chances. Hemsky's hands were substandard tonight and I actually thought Arcobello looked shaky with the puck tonight. Perron has to bury some of those grade A chances, but at least he was stirring **** up.

Just doesn't feel consoling enough to say "we deserved the win tonight" anymore. Tired of waiting for us to have the hockey gods intervene and gift us 2 points for moral justice. Caps cashed in on their chances and we did not.

Eberle's choice to backhand deke into traffic instead of shoot from the middle of the slot wide open sums up why we didn't score when we had to tonigt. Still trying to do it fancy. You wanna talk about players on their own page tonight, Eberle and Yak are prime examples.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Hell, the only reason I'm here is because the girlfriend is having a "girls night out," otherwise I wouldn't have watched a second of this. Until that backlog of people wanting seasons tickets starts to shrivel and dry up, I don't think Katz and Co. really care.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I don't even know what to say. The team and fans have become so complacent.

Since when does running into a hot goaltender justify playing like ****.

Our powerplay can't score a goal. Our penalty kill can't stop a puck. Our offense can't isn't good enough to beat hot goaltenders. Our goaltender can't make big save. Out defence cant follow their man.

Nothing is going right for this team.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
This organization have become the Islanders of the west and its been going on for almost a decade, do you really see fan interest dwindling? Look at the stands.

Try the Panthers or the Thrashers. The Isles have had 2 playoff appearances since our last.

And believe it or not, IMO yes if this keeps up fan interest will definitely dwindle. Or at least it should.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Of course.

Fine, I'll use another example. In their last game against the Jets, the Caps were outshot 47-32 and still managed to win the game.

What's your point? This team is 3-7. Records don't lie. We need wins in the worst way now, I don't care how they come. Not nice looking losses.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I don't even know what to say. The team and fans have become so complacent.

Since when does running into a hot goaltender justify playing like ****.

Our powerplay can't score a goal. Our penalty kill can't stop a puck. Our offense can't isn't good enough to beat hot goaltenders. Our goaltender can't make big save. Out defence cant follow their man.

Nothing is going right for this team.

What i don't understand is, the pk was doing great last year, so what does the new coach decide to do? Blow it all up and emphasis offensive aggression on the pk with skill players rather then defensive oriented forwards.

Maybe its about teaching your skill guys to do everything well, but is that really the right approach when they are trying to make the playoffs this year?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Could not catch a bounce to save our lives today.

First two periods were strong, but that entire top line made some boneheaded plays all night. Every one of them.

The Arco line was off today too, despite a fair few scoring chances. Hemsky's hands were substandard tonight and I actually thought Arcobello looked shaky with the puck tonight. Perron has to bury some of those grade A chances, but at least he was stirring **** up.

Just doesn't feel consoling enough to say "we deserved the win tonight" anymore. Tired of waiting for us to have the hockey gods intervene and gift us 2 points for moral justice. Caps cashed in on their chances and we did not.

Eberle's choice to backhand deke into traffic instead of shoot from the middle of the slot wide open sums up why we didn't score when we had to tonigt. Still trying to do it fancy. You wanna talk about players on their own page tonight, Eberle and Yak are prime examples.

AS a Center Arco doesn't have the skills to hold onto the puck at this level. This of course is disguised when he's playing with a consummate puck handler like Eberle and has guys like Hall to pass to. Hemsky, while very talented, is not a reliable puck handler imo and just as prone to giving it away. The trouble with this line is it kind of lacked a mail carrier.
The lines were odd tonight and should not be repeated. This is strange MacBlender. Like putting spinach in a berry smoothy. I dunno.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You know the team has problems when the GDT prior to the game was more fun than the game itself and watching the team.

You know its worse when people knew that would be the hilite of our Oilers related day.

The game was er, um, anticlimactic...

I never said anything, never mind..:laugh:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What's your point? This team is 3-7. Records don't lie. We need wins in the worst way now, I don't care how they come. Not nice looking losses.

The point is that these losses happen to everyone.

Holtby played very well. It's frustrating but if you play that way more often than not you'll win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad