Post-Game Talk: I guess I'll make it... Oilers Lose 4-1

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Batty ‏@ryan_batty 3m

The season ticket holder beside me has a source that says Eakins will be fired within the week and replaced by Messier.

From the guy who writes for Copper & Blue. I will riot if this is true (doubt it anyways).

Oh great. Yet another new coach for us to chew up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are we really trusting random fans as sources now?

Yeah my source tells me MacT is going to hold Holtby at gunpoint and force him to switch souls with Dubnyk.

Billybaroo*

Yakupov was /is HORRIBLE>
Please, oh please , dont make excuses for him.
It is what it is, hopefully his horriblness is a function of been young.
Truly, he should be sitting

OILFAN #81

Apr 14, 2006
San Jose, California
After you get 3 1st overall picks in 4 years, shouldn't you show some improvement????? We are dead last in the conference yet again. It's beyond embarassing and absolutely pathetic.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They played well in the first 2 periods. Trouble is, they gave it all back by not showing up in the 3rd, when they should have been using the momentum and pushing even harder. This team is so incredibly frustrating. All they talk about is playing a complete game, not just 10 minutes, or 20 minutes, or whatever. And then they play 40 and then g meekly to sleep. Show me, don't tell me.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yakupov was /is HORRIBLE>
Please, oh please , dont make excuses for him.
It is what it is, hopefully his horriblness is a function of been young.
Truly, he should be sitting

He's a 20 year old struggling player, yet he played all night against one of the top lines in the entire NHL by the coach.

You don't need to make excuses for Yakupov, because the problem lies elsewhere.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
ah how amusing. A 20 year old is being made the scapegoat yet on his line were two players that are supposed to be leading this club offensively. That whole line was ****, as far as I'm concerned. RNH, Yak and Eberle were directly, or at least partially responsible for a goal against tonight.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
After you get 3 1st overall picks in 4 years, shouldn't you show some improvement????? We are dead last in the conference yet again. It's beyond embarassing and absolutely pathetic.

Were only going to make strides after big change, we've done good so far in improving the team culture but we need to move a kid to take the next step IMO.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005

Totally agree! How can Katz idly sit and watch this crap continue? Good grief. I know there are many underlying problems here but it's gotta start with scorched earth type clean out of management.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nah, in the head of the guy who thinks an immature defensive player should be out there against Ovechkin.

Oh I get it, Yak shouldn't be expected to play defense at all.

If you're not scoring (and he isn't) then you better make up for it elsewhere.

Billybaroo*

He's a 20 year old struggling player, yet he played all night against one of the top lines in the entire NHL by the coach.

You don't need to make excuses for Yakupov, because the problem lies elsewhere.

My god man. Hes an elite talent who plays frickin pond hockey ,with zero regard for his team & is unbelievably selfish as a player.
QUIT MAKING EXCUSES.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
That really wasn't a bad game.

Yes Yakupov had a bad game.

Hopkins and Eberle were both really good. Got some good shots on net, made some good plays and kept some good plays alive.

I would have gone with Perron-Hopkins-Yakupov for the first game if I knew Yakupov was going to play like that. Yakupov looked good in the first period but from then on it all fell off for him.

Petry and some really good moments. Justin Schultz had a few. I blame Dubby for 1 of those goals for sure.

4th line was epic in the first two periods and every time they got on the ice and had a good shift the rest of the team responded really well by having good shifts and creating good scoring chances. Nothing came out of it because Holby was literally standing on his head.

Most people would say that Pitlick, Jones, Eager and Gadzig are a pretty brutal for bottom six forwards, but they were doing their job.

Really disappointing loss, but I'm more disappointed by luck. Not as much by execution, discipline or effort level. We actually did a great job of staying out of the penalty box despite the fact that a fair number of our players were banging bodies.

That should have been a totally different game given how we played today.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I think Eakins was making a statement tonight to all of the Oilers org. He played our 'best' players (aside from Hall who's out with an injury) against the best of Washington. Everyone in the org. thinks these kids are the best thing since sliced bread. I think Eakins is trying to show them a bit of reality. Maybe I'm off; I don't know. Just spitballing here. I don't see any other reason for what he did when it clearly wasn't working.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You know our fanbase has been drilled into a losing culture when half the posters are blaming the game on a 20 year old that's played less than 82 games and the other half thinking we still played alright in a 4-1 game

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

No

I was referring to the coach matching up a poor defensive player against one of the best players in the entire NHL. There are different lines, and levels of competition he could play against that wouldn't utterly expose him(and eberle/RNH) every single shift.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RNH has been on for a ton of GA in 9GP.

Goaltending not being the issue anymore either. He's just getting owned night after night.

Billybaroo*

ah how amusing. A 20 year old is being made the scapegoat yet on his line were two players that are supposed to be leading this club offensively. That whole line was ****, as far as I'm concerned. RNH, Yak and Eberle were directly, or at least partially responsible for a goal against tonight.

Hes not a scapegoat.
But phenomenally selfish right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You know our fanbase has been drilled into a losing culture when half the posters are blaming the game on a 20 year old that's played less than 82 games and the other half thinking we still played alright in a 4-1 game

Nobody's blaming the entire game on Yak. But he needs to play better.

And if you think we didn't play pretty good in the first two periods you obviously weren't watching.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Sigh.

I mean, we played well. Forechecked hard, created some forelonged offensive pressure in their own zone, minimized stupid giveaways, and come away with a 4-1 loss. Nothing much you can say.

They look better, but the results need to start. Last in the West, and looking at another top-5 pick is just......unbearable.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
So who here is paying top dollar for this? Shame on you. I say we break into Katz's house with a crib and then burn it. He'll get the message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->