Post-Game Talk: I guess I'll make it... Oilers Lose 4-1

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Win or loss, that GDT prior to puck drop was a lot of fun.

I was going to say.

I even had a .gif lined up for goals... but it was too late and I had already become disenchanted.

What the hell... Justin Schultz, this is for you

poppop1.gif

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I don't even know what to say. The team and fans have become so complacent.

That's exactly it. What else is there to say?

3 1st overall picks, 4 head coaches, 7 years with out playoffs, and we're still dead last in the West. If this board is completely honest, this year will make it 8 years with out playoffs.

At this point all you can do is shrug and say, well more of the same old right?

Tambo and Lowe really screwed us with their incredibly stupid plan to rebuild. Thus far, MacT hasn't been able to remedy it.

So far, it seems to be going towards another top-10, possibly top-5 pick.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
I have only watched 3 games this year but by the sounds of it we should have won every game we have lost so far. :sarcasm: You have to have a complete team game and be able to keep the puck out of the net as well. We would have had to score 4 more goals to win this game tonight. Doesn't sound like a "stolen game" by any means. I think because we have been brutal for so long a 4 - 1 loss where we showed two good periods of offense seems like a win. Not to me it doesn't. There are other parts to this game than just dipsy doodle plays and we will need to get much better in these areas or eventually get some help brought in.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
AS a Center Arco doesn't have the skills to hold onto the puck at this level. This of course is disguised when he's playing with a consummate puck handler like Eberle and has guys like Hall to pass to. Hemsky, while very talented, is not a reliable puck handler imo and just as prone to giving it away. The trouble with this line is it kind of lacked a mail carrier.
The lines were odd tonight and should not be repeated. This is strange MacBlender. Like putting spinach in a berry smoothy. I dunno.

I mean the line looked good at points last game more so than today, but the mail carrier point has merit. Doesn't help that they're all right handed shots which makes it awkward passing up the neutral zone and on breakouts from the right side.

The one play that would work is hitting Hemsky with speed, but the D refuse to pass to him in full flight I've noticed.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Shame about the loss. At least it wasn't a shutout. We always suck getting back from a trip, so no big surprise tonight. This was a game where Hall's spark really could have helped.

And to those lamenting the loss of the gifs in the GDT. I like Alison Brie as much as the next Community fan, but if I didn't remove them posters risked infractions if they got reported. So I accept that this loss is entirely my fault.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The point is that these losses happen to everyone.

Holtby played very well. It's frustrating but if you play that way more often than not you'll win.

There wasn't a single play created all night where Holtby didn't know exactly where the play was headed. This team offense is outright predictable and star players that rather than being imaginative are trying to forcefeed the same limited plays all the time game after game, year after year. We're an easy offense to scout.

Other than Perron theres very little unique plays here. If you can cover passes across with the Oilers you've covered basically everything we do.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I don't know what but something has to give. Another potential top 5/10 pick would be incredibly disappointing. Sad thing is I don't see some miracle turn-around where they gun it for the playoffs, but rather they just marinate in the basement like the previous stale Oilers steaks that they are.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Try the Panthers or the Thrashers. The Isles have had 2 playoff appearances since our last.

And believe it or not, IMO yes if this keeps up fan interest will definitely dwindle. Or at least it should.

What i meant as far as the Islanders is the drafting record and how many years they finished in the basement of the entire league and how a lot of their drafting beyond the first round was awful, and most of their first rounders did not pan out.

This team does not look any better then 7 years ago, with 3 number 1 draft picks in the organization in a 5 year span, think about the futility of that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The thing that frustrated me as much as Yaks bad play on OV's goal is Eberles awful turnover at the Caps blueline that led to Chimera's goal. Seriously im so sick of Eberle trying to dispy doodle at the blueline instead of dumping it in or pass to a teammate coming with speed.

I missed the game, but man did the top line look ugly on the Sportscenter highlights.

I don't know what Yak was doing on Ovie's goal, Eberle with the soft turnover and RNH laying on the ice in his own net on another.

Ugly.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Please guys.

No Hall, Gagner, Smyth, or Joensuu. All those guys would have helped tonight.

Of all the losses this year, this was one of the only ones where I felt the Oilers deserved a better fate.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There wasn't a single play created all night where Holtby didn't know exactly where the play was headed. This team offense is outright predictable and star players that rather than being imaginative are trying to forcefeed the same limited plays all the time game after game, year after year. We're an easy offense to scout.

Other than Perron theres very little unique plays here. If you can cover passes across with the Oilers you've covered basically everything we do.

Isn't it a goalie's job to track the puck?

And we've seen the top players be "imaginative". I do believe they call those "turnovers" nowadays.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I missed the game, but man did the top line look ugly on the Sportscenter highlights.

I don't know what Yak was doing on Ovie's goal, Eberle with the soft turnover and RNH laying on the ice in his own net on another.

Ugly.

The first line had a lot of chances but Holtby played well and stoned them.

This is just one of those games where nothing went our way.

But we do need to do something about the PP. It was dominant last season. Hire Kreuger back and give him the special teams.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
And to those lamenting the loss of the gifs in the GDT. I like Alison Brie as much as the next Community fan, but if I didn't remove them posters risked infractions if they got reported. So I accept that this loss is entirely my fault.

I would've taken an infraction if it meant my HFOil brethren could enjoy Annie's boobs for a few more hours!

Also, the Oilers suck.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Ugly.

Unfortunately, those were the most egregious mistakes, and they all led to goals. I kind of understand why RNH was the 3rd stat, because I felt he was pretty tenacious at both ends.

Pitlick played his game but man I'm not sure I've ever seen a player with less offensive game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Isn't it a goalie's job to track the puck?

And we've seen the top players be "imaginative". I do believe they call those "turnovers" nowadays.

3 times this year the Oilers have been scored on with a setplay where D passes it to player at goal line who then looks for guy coming wide open in slot.

3 goals against with that simple bang bang play. The Oilers don't know what hit them anytime it happens. If I'm an opponent I'm trying that set piece every game.

Number of times Oilers have tried to fire up a setplay like that?

Approaching zero.

jebus, players, coaches, could at least take note of how clubs are scoring against us.

Not everything happens CROSS ICE. Its primarily the kidline that thinks thats how to play hockey all day any day. Forces passes across ice.

Like Eakins says I don't know where they learned to look for that one play all the time. Thats what I mean with lack of imagination. You don't know its missing here until you watch a lot of other teams play.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005

Agreed. Even Perron's shot off the post was very well covered by Holtby. He had the whole side of the net pretty much covered when Perron took the shot.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Themed GDTs are all we have left now lol.

Just have to grasp at whatever straws we can at this point. Sad time to be an Oiler fan. Sad 7+ years, actually.

This is getting to be near a decade. A DECADE long of outright futility. OMG, I'm gonna go out to the shed and bring some rope with me...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I would've taken an infraction if it meant my HFOil brethren could enjoy Annie's boobs for a few more hours!

Also, the Oilers suck.

Fair enough. I didn't want a passing Admin or Team Lead to jump on one our posters. I would have been fine with you getting an infraction as well for the 2p(which Annie would have ensured). Perhaps, that is what HFOil is missing. Sacrificial lambs in each GDT...

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Unfortunately, those were the most egregious mistakes, and they all led to goals. I kind of understand why RNH was the 3rd stat, because I felt he was pretty tenacious at both ends.

Pitlick played his game but man I'm not sure I've ever seen a player with less offensive game.

Colin Fraser.. Eric Belanger..

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Our guys like to turn off their engines if nothing goes right. We take bad bounces personally, and that's all tied in with the loser mentality.

We need a winning streak bad to save this season.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
What i meant as far as the Islanders is the drafting record and how many years they finished in the basement of the entire league and how a lot of their drafting beyond the first round was awful, and most of their first rounders did not pan out.

This team does not look any better then 7 years ago, with 3 number 1 draft picks in the organization in a 5 year span, think about the futility of that.

Yeah I totally get where you're going. Like I said Panthers or Thrashers are more comparable.

Because they were worse :help:

Most of this board (and yes I know we're extremely bi-polar) is already calling this season a wash in the third week. That's how terrible the Oil look.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
it only gets worse...we play PHX and LA this weekend...could be staring at a 3-9-1 record by Monday

I've come to a point where I'm indifferent to wins and loses...I expect them to lose and even if they win a couple games in a row....I just know a longer losing streak is coming around the corner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad