Post-Game Talk: I don't have a creative title

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think Game 1 was worse than people remember. And that's fair. We beat the Devils 5-1 in a playoff game, people are excited. It was closer than the score indicated and Vanacek or whatever the f*** his name is really shit his pants in that game.

Game 2 we absolutely blew them off the ice and we probably deserved to win game 3.

Games 4-7 were some of the worst hockey I ever watched.

It was a weird series. There wasn't a single game (outside of most of game 1 before Vanacek fell apart) where both teams played well.

Doesn't this point to the Rangers getting skated off the ice to being exaggerated?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Doesn't this point to the Rangers getting skated off the ice to being exaggerated?
Not really, because games 4-7 (which is enough to lose a series) looked like the Devils playing a local peewee team. That wasn't an accident.

One of the things about the playoff meta is that teams adjust to you in a series and the Rangers are easy to adjust to.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not really, because games 4-7 (which is enough to lose a series) looked like the Devils playing a local peewee team. That wasn't an accident.

One of the things about the playoff meta is that teams adjust to you in a series and the Rangers are easy to adjust to.

You'd think the Devils would have adjusted before game 4. You even said that the Rangers should probably have won game 3.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Reaves spending all night goading a rookie into a fight after avoiding them his entire Ranger tenure says a lot about his character.

Other than that I’ll take the point.
Here's a thing that happened:

At some point during the 2022 season, I happened to be in the city after a game and stopped on 8th avenue where the players exit in their vehicles.

Everyone was nice. Fox waved to the people. Ryan Strome rolled down the window and fist pumped to the crowd. Kakko whole ass stopped his car and signed autographs. Even the guys who were super awkward still said hello.

Ryan Reaves was the only one who rolled through with his tinted windows, nearly running people over, without so much as grunting at the crowd.

That's his right, but man, he was the only one.

I didn't like him after that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You'd think that would play in the calculus in the analysis of the series.
It kind of does. The series turned around when the Devils just played hockey and stopped slowing down to play "tough."

And then they went up against Carolina and started hitting again which was a huge mistake because that team is physical and good while doing it.

Ruff seemed to have this idea that "oh, it's the playoffs, so we have to hit and stuff."

He's terrible. That team is extremely flawed since Brunette isn't a factor anymore.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I missed the game but please tell me the PGT thread wasn’t 11 pages of analytics/eye test shit in a game we outshot the Leafs on HNIC and lost in a shootout. Don’t do this to yourselves.

Reactions: Crease

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Having the best or 2nd best goaltending masks a lot of problems. Plus a good PP and PK. But we went through this less than a decade ago and this team hasn’t won shit. Why is it so outrageous for us to be displeased that they are bad at the most important part of the sport?
Because homers can’t stand to hear negativity even when it’s the obvious truth.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I just don't get how people can watch this team day in and day out and unironically claim this is a good hockey team that has a meaningful chance to win in the playoffs. Similarly, I don't get how people can watch Zibanejad, and Trouba, and Lindgren and say things are fine. It's not even a case of "muh charts" it's legitimately just having functioning eyes and a working brain.

Unless we're able to get at least 2 of those 3 (i've given up hope long ago on Goodrow), back working again at a level remotely close to what they're being paid, we're dead in the water.

You aren’t fixing Trouba. He’s been terrible for years. Mika may have his ebbs and flows but the reality is his best days are almost assuredly behind him and they benefit from moving him.

I like Lindgren but he may be broken already. He is having an outlier bad year on D but it’s real bad.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Way too much whining around here. Going into Toronto on a HNIC game is a tall task and we walked away with a point while getting outplayed against a very good potential PO opponent. We didn't even really have Zbad and Kreider - our first line - doing anything at all. Laviolette has to get them going but that means we have a lot more firepower than we showed tonight and it was still close.

Reactions: Crease and Elvis P

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Need to replace Chytils production/what he would've brought this year as he was growing still.

Drury go do something smart and creative.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Passed out before the 3rd. Respect for Rempe going at it against Reaves, and getting a point was good. Just put Vesey next to Mika and Kreider and Kakko next to Cuylle and Brod. The 1st still sucks (not because of Vesey), but at least the third line becomes good again.

Or here's a revolutionary thought, separate Kreider and Mika o_O

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Mika and Kreider have fallen in love with the fancy pants saucer pass. Throwing sauce to each other even when the other isn’t even open. They need to get back to basics or be broken up.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Glad Laffy’s shitty shot at the end of the game didn’t result in an ENG to end it, he had a great one.

Kreider just needs to pass it to Miller, Miller couldn’t believe it.

The Rangers defense will be their downfall, and they just don’t see the issue, pretty crazy.
On offense Kreider really has tunnel vision.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
1st line got absolutely pulverized last night. Horrific performance. I am much more lenient on Kreider but at this point i'm ready to put Mika in front of a firing squad.

Kakko sucks on that line. Put him back on the 3rd.

The Leafs are playing very well lately and a loss to them isn't tragic but holy christ were they terrible in the 2nd period especially.

Lindgren got caved too but that's the norm at this point.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I’ve accepted we’re stuck with Goodrow playing, but he shouldn’t see the ice time he is unless we’re on the PK half the game. Also, stop putting him out there with Trouba 5v5, unless it’s by request of Shesty to keep him mentally in a game by seeing 30 shots in 4 shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad