Post-Game Talk: I’m not even mad

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Today u see the limitation in Nurses game, he simply cant be klefbom, no matter how much some you want him to be. Klef plays 25-30 mins a night like a pro, nurse approaches those numbers and he is exposed so hard its not even funny.

This isnt Nurses fault, he is a good 3-4 but hes just not as good as klefbom, im sorry Nurse fans
I think we can all agree that Nurse had some weak moments last night, that are somewhat typical of his game in general. That being said, when Klef was out last year, and Nurse was playing ~25 minutes per night he was pretty great. He hasn't really been the PP QB all year and hasn't had a ton of 3 on 3 time either. I'm willing to give him a bit of slack.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Ok well I will eat some crow... I never thought Yamomoto would amount to anything and I was very critical of the pick and his development curve... Man was I wrong. That kid has heart and skill. The kind of energy I believe is infectious to his teammates. He will be successful if he keeps his energy level high - I thought he was great last night... Tip of the cap to him and pass the salt, my crow is bland... :) Glad to be VERY wrong on that one.

I had no real problem with the pick but you don't just plug a guy who's 150 lbs soaking wet with his equipment on into the NHL as an 18 year old. He should never have played a game that year & should have been sent back to junior, which he eventually was, & then spent some time in the minors, which he eventually did.

Hopefully the days of us sticking 18 year olds directly into the NHL, even if it's just for the obligatory 9 games, is over.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I had no real problem with the pick but you don't just plug a guy who's 150 lbs soaking wet with his equipment on into the NHL as an 18 year old. He should never have played a game that year & should have been sent back to junior, which he eventually was, & then spent some time in the minors, which he eventually did.

Hopefully the days of us sticking 18 year olds directly into the NHL, even if it's just for the obligatory 9 games, is over.
Maybe, again it depends on the player. Also, probably good to stop inferring the Oilers are the only team that play 18/19 year olds.

Reactions: oilynutz

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nurse +/- when playing >25 minutes in games: net 0 in 10 games
Nurse +/- when playing <25 minutes in games: net +1 in 50 games

Klefbom +/- when playing >25 minutes in games: net -13 in 38 games
Klefbom +/- when playing <25 minutes in games: net -7 in 21 games

I know +/- isn't a perfect stat but this shows that no, Nurse doesn't "shit the bed" worse than Klefbom when playing huge minutes... ie >25 minutes per game.

Surprisingly (to me)... Klefbom has about the same +/- performance per game when playing big minutes ie >25 minutes per game as he does when playing lighter minutes (<25 minutes per game).

Nurse on the other hand seems to be right around the "treading water" mark when playing big minutes (> 25 minutes per game) or lighter minutes (<25 minutes per game). It seems he does just as well even with higher minutes.
I don't think either one of them should be playing any more then 25 a night, it is where you see mistakes start forming in both there games, but honestly right now what other choice is there? Jones and Legs are our only other LHD right now.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Way too many people acting like this game is the whole story for Nurse.

he had a very poor game, but he’s been one of our better defenders all year, played incredibly well last year when klef went down, and played way too much tonight.

Next game will hopefully be better. I hope Tippett takes him off the pp so he can focus on where he’s best at evens. There’s no reason for him to be playing on both special teams units with better options on either while also being on the top pair at 5v5.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Way too many people acting like this game is the whole story for Nurse.

he had a very poor game, but he’s been one of our better defenders all year, played incredibly well last year when klef went down, and played way too much tonight.

Next game will hopefully be better. I hope Tippett takes him off the pp so he can focus on where he’s best at evens. There’s no reason for him to be playing on both special teams units with better options on either while also being on the top pair at 5v5.
I think he had some poor moments(that one on the PP was pretty bad) but overall he did not play that bad. What other options are there now? Jones? Legs? Nurse did fine, it does show the value of having both him and Klefbom in the line up. If not for Nurse Chiasson would be bleeding out somewhere, how he became the first Oiler into that scrum after being held up by the linesman is beyond me. Almost like Haas and the others did not see what was happening until Nurse came in.

Our depth is being tested at the toughest time of the year and they are not just treading water either, aside from the first period we did not look outclassed.

I would move Bear to the top unit though....and keep him there even after Klefbom comes back.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I've said it before, tyler yaremchuk is an idiot.

I have no problem with him and I find myself agreeing with him a lot (maybe I'm an idiot haha) but he is a little arrogant so I can see how he rubs some people the wrong way. He's not wrong about Nurse however, he made a ton of mistakes last night albeit against the best line in hockey.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
He is just so frustrating to watch re: Nurse. Has all the physical tools and does many things well but his decision making and puck distribution continually lag... that said, he just cracked 300 games this year so has a year or two of development still to go.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Thing I find with HF, or with most fans, is they'll hammer on a few isolated mistakes, and that is what shapes their assessment of a players game

Hockey evaluators like Button will assess on the whole.

It's why boring, low risk D tend to get favoured by fans. Little obvious, glaring mistakes get made
You are definitely right, but I think it goes both ways. Lots of posters/people underestimate the effectiveness of low event Ds as well, because they keep it simple and don't do flashy passes and/or shooting.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
You are definitely right, but I think it goes both ways. Lots of posters/people underestimate the effectiveness of low event Ds as well, because they keep it simple and don't do flashy passes and/or shooting.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, the players at that level are so good that when a mistake happens it gets keyed in on.

I would love to challenge everyone to see the positives on this club instead of always focusing on the negative(I have been very guilty of this). I think you might be stunned at how enjoyable the game is when you focus on all the good things. For example:
Benson was physical last night, threw a few big hits
Smith was fantastic
Nuge, Drai, Nurse played beast minutes(a lot of that was PP time though)
Yammimoto going toe to toe with Chara might be the best thing I have seen all year.

Reactions: TB12 and LaGu

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

That is true, and there is value in a D with little activity.

Ill always feel bad for whichever Oilers D is playing the most minutes though. Whether its Petry, Klefbom, Nurse etc- they will always get their games picked apart. But in reality, when you play 25+ minutes, there is just way more chances to make a bad pass, or have a bad moment where you get beat

Reactions: elmeroil and LaGu

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Klef may not be perfect on the PP, but is 100% better than what we saw from Nurse tonight. Way too casual out there. Almost like he was using it as a breather from his 5x5 play.
Agreed. I hope the 30+ minutes was just for this game. He looked completely dead out there. The more tired you get, the less your brain works

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That is true, and there is value in a D with little activity.

Ill always feel bad for whichever Oilers D is playing the most minutes though. Whether its Petry, Klefbom, Nurse etc- they will always get their games picked apart. But in reality, when you play 25+ minutes, there is just way more chances to make a bad pass, or have a bad moment where you get beat

It has become the nature of our fan base to focus on the negative. The Bruins goal was on Yammimoto not picking up his guy and Bear not being ready.....but who actually cares? Aside from the goal Yammo and Bear played an amazing game(Bear was instrumental in the make up goal).
Our team held themselves in a game they had no business being in. The work ethic of this team last night was damn inspirational(so much so that the fans gave them a standing O for going to OT). Last night I became a believer. This team deserves the playoffs and I pity the first round team they have to play against.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What I meant by the comment is that i think this team can go 3 rounds in the playoffs and we should load up for a big run.
3 rounds is already a big run. Any team that gets to the third round can definitely go all the way already. Unless you're adding a Pronger-like D or Mario Lemieux type of player, adding 3rd tier players won't do squat. Players are going to be amped up and play at beast mode even if you called up Ethan Moreau to suit up now.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
3 rounds is already a big run. Any team that gets to the third round can definitely go all the way already. Unless you're adding a Pronger-like D or Mario Lemieux type of player, adding 3rd tier players won't do squat. Players are going to be amped up and play at beast mode even if you called up Ethan Moreau to suit up now.

Psst, we have our Lemieux type player, we need one top six winger and a healthy D. These injuries have provided some amazing development for our young guys.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I have never, ever been less annoyed about getting the loser point. There's zero disappointment in me. They battled so hard to stay in this game and they got a point they never should have.

Though, there is the topic of Darnell Nurse. If there's any debate left on him vs Oscar, this game is a great reference point. Oscar played the same load against the Canes, while injured, and was better in every regard. Bear or even Bouchard should take those PP minutes. Nurse does not dish the puck as well, nor does he make good enough decisions to replace Klefbom there.

That's what I've always said. Klefbom isn't perfect in that he's not an ideal number one Dman like a Lidstrom. But he plays the hardest minutes better than anyone else we've had in a long, long time. He makes mistakes that make you angry, but there have been very few Lidstroms in this league that don't (or rarely) make them. Most things in life aren't black or white -- they're shades of grey with a lot of nuance. I've come to like Nurse a lot though, so I won't rag on him. It was a well-earned point by the team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are you just watching old Rock'em Sock'ems mixed with the NHL app highlights when you put your assessments together. This so nonsensical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad