TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif
Not very Hart like :laugh:
giphy.gif

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Today u see the limitation in Nurses game, he simply cant be klefbom, no matter how much some you want him to be. Klef plays 25-30 mins a night like a pro, nurse approaches those numbers and he is exposed so hard its not even funny.

This isnt Nurses fault, he is a good 3-4 but hes just not as good as klefbom, im sorry Nurse fans

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This depleted group of Oilers battled one of the best teams in the NHL to a draw in regulation.
That was a joy to watch.

From a work ethic perspective this reminds me of the 90;s teams. If Connor can commit to playing both ends of the ice (hard) when he comes back this team can beat anybody.

Reactions: RattsSSV

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can somebody explain the 'too-many-men-on-the-ice' rule? I was a bit perturbed by the call against Edmonton in the third period. In a 1-1 game, with little time left on the clock, I think that has to be a clear-cut infraction to be called.

I get that there's a grey-zone there, at the discretion of the officials. But in tonight's game, Drai was delayed getting off when the puck came to him at the bench, so he played it. Simultaneously, Nuge (? note sure) jumped on -- just for a split second -- saw that Drai was playing the puck, and then jumped back onto the bench.

Immediately, a penalty was called. But my argument would be: Nuge didn't touch the puck, or interfere with the play, or interfere with any Boston player. Had Nuge not jumped on the ice, the exact same sequence would have occurred. Nuge's body was never anywhere in the zone of play, or between the opposing team and the receiving player (Draisaitl). And it's not like he lingered there. He touched the ice for an instant, and then jumped off.

It just seems weird to me, because there are countless other examples -- literally, in every game -- where too many players are on the ice for much longer than that, but as long as one player is heading off and one has jumped on, the ref almost always lets it go.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nurse +/- when playing >25 minutes in games: net 0 in 10 games
Nurse +/- when playing <25 minutes in games: net +1 in 50 games

Klefbom +/- when playing >25 minutes in games: net -13 in 38 games
Klefbom +/- when playing <25 minutes in games: net -7 in 21 games

I know +/- isn't a perfect stat but this shows that no, Nurse doesn't "shit the bed" worse than Klefbom when playing huge minutes... ie >25 minutes per game.

Surprisingly (to me)... Klefbom has about the same +/- performance per game when playing big minutes ie >25 minutes per game as he does when playing lighter minutes (<25 minutes per game).

Nurse on the other hand seems to be right around the "treading water" mark when playing big minutes (> 25 minutes per game) or lighter minutes (<25 minutes per game). It seems he does just as well even with higher minutes.

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
Today u see the limitation in Nurses game, he simply cant be klefbom, no matter how much some you want him to be. Klef plays 25-30 mins a night like a pro, nurse approaches those numbers and he is exposed so hard its not even funny.

This isnt Nurses fault, he is a good 3-4 but hes just not as good as klefbom, im sorry Nurse fans
Eh, hard to say. Klefbom, regardless of who he plays with, has another really good pairing (Nurse and Bear) to shoulder the burden. Still wasn't a good showing for Nurse today (on the offensive side of things -- PP, O-zone, etc...), but I think it was a combination of trying too hard and being too tired.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Klefbom is more well-suited to the role than Nurse, but realistically, I don't think either of them should be occupying that kind of role. Neither guy is a #1 defenseman who can play 25+ minutes in all situations at a high level. There's nothing wrong with that, as I don't think there are that many guys like that in the league right now. I think there will be enough collective talent on the blueline in a year or two where no one has to fill a role like that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think realistically Tippett is trying to make lemonade out of lemons that are already squeezed out.

IE... too many minutes to certain players and ice time should be spread around more.

#1 dman ~24 minutes
#2 dman ~22 minutes
#3 dman ~21 minutes
#4 dman ~19 minutes
#5 dman ~18 minutes
#6 dman ~16 minutes

Of course that's flexible because some nights are going to be different by necessity... special teams usage, injuries etc... but those should be around the average TOI targets to shoot for which would result in less tired players throughout the pairings and likely better overall production as well.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Haha. One can only dream. Not happening. Holland would be an idiot to make any significant trade. We ride it out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Team is hot without mcdavid. The only trade we make is Granlund to bakersfield for Mcdavid.
We aren't first in the league so it is broke. We can always improve. Good teams do

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I think realistically Tippett is trying to make lemonade out of lemons that are already squeezed out.

IE... too many minutes to certain players and ice time should be spread around more.

#1 dman ~24 minutes
#2 dman ~22 minutes
#3 dman ~21 minutes
#4 dman ~19 minutes
#5 dman ~18 minutes
#6 dman ~16 minutes

Of course that's flexible because some nights are going to be different by necessity... special teams usage, injuries etc... but those should be around the average TOI targets to shoot for which would result in less tired players throughout the pairings and likely better overall production as well.

He is, and he is doing a good job.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

#1 dman ~24 minutes
#2 dman ~22 minutes
#3 dman ~21 minutes
#4 dman ~19 minutes
#5 dman ~18 minutes
#6 dman ~16 minutes

Listen, you can sit there hunched over your computer all night and look up stats. It wont predict shit. The oilers are going to finish strong this year. Plug that into your corsi. Nerd

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Listen, you can sit there hunched over your computer all night and look up stats. It wont predict shit. The oilers are going to finish strong this year. Plug that into your corsi.

I don't use corsi... so you are full of shit dear sir. :)

I predicted about ~100 point season for the Oilers from the start of the season so I'm clearly on board the "Oilers will be a playoff team train this year".

I'm just pointing out that a little better distribution of TOI might be a benefit and lead to more productive levels of offense/defense and less tired and possibly less injury prone key players on the roster as well.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

I predicted about ~100 point season for the Oilers from the start of the season so I'm clearly on board the "Oilers will be a playoff team train this year".

I'm just pointing out that a little better distribution of TOI might be a benefit and lead to more productive levels of offense/defense and less tired and possible less injury prone key players on the roster as well.
I dont use stats either. But i can predict the outcome of most games. Would you like to make a wager on the next one?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

I'm just pointing out that a little better distribution of TOI might be a benefit and lead to more productive levels of offense/defense and less tired and possibly less injury prone key players on the roster as well.
Trust me. You do not have to call me sir... Call me Dragon.

What do you want to bet, Homie?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

The problem with your method is that it is in a vaccuum. My point being, your numbers add up perfectly to 120 mins divided by two defencmen. Now, when the game is on the line are you looking down on your little notepad or are you trying to win a hockey game? Think about that for a moment.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Math doesnt win hockey games. Oilers can beat the Bruins, Lightning f***ing Leafs or Flames. On any given night. f***ing stupid stats.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

#1 dman ~24 minutes
#2 dman ~22 minutes
#3 dman ~21 minutes
#4 dman ~19 minutes
#5 dman ~18 minutes
#6 dman ~16 minutes

This game was messed up by all penalties. Nothing relevant about ice time can be concluded by look at the TOI alone.

PK:
Nurse 5:58
Larsson 5:21
Bear 4:58
Lagesson 4:40
Benning 2:12
Jones 0:25

I have no issues with that, makes perfect sense to me, 4 main guys taking the most minutes. Especially since it is pretty hard to plan for PK ice time.

PP:
Nurse 8:55
Bear 1:37
Larsson 0:46
Jones 0:46

I mean we could play Nurse less (wouldn't change the 3rd pair's TOI), but the way the PP is set up makes it a bit hard. Anyhow I don't think the PP is the place to adjust TOI so again I really don't have a big issue with this and as with the PK it is pretty hard to plan PP ice time.

EV:
Larsson 18:34
Jones 15:48
Nurse 13:49
Bear 12:24
Benning 7:39
Lagesson 7:07

Nurse and Bear playing way less than they usually do on EV. I mean I guess you could push up Lagesson's and Benning's ice time, but seeing all the penalties there is only so much ice time to go around.. Also, at the same time, that would be at the expense of the other pairs who were already playing less than they usually do on EV.

To change the TOI times towards what you suggest they would have had to change the PP set up for starters (although again that wouldn't have changed the 3rd pair's TOI), secondly Tippett would have had to put Lagesson Benning on the ice more and more as the game progressed. I see what you are getting at of course, but I don't really see it as reasonable to start to up the 3rd pair's EV ice time late in a tight game against one of the best teams in the league.

This game was great all things considered. Getting a point against Boston with all our current injuries. Let's see how things go in terms of ice-time and performance in the next 3-4 games and then we can have a relevant conversation about the D ice times sans Klefbom.

edit: sorry for all the grammar errors, I have tried to correct most of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDNicks17

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I didn’t see the game . I followed along on HF Oilers . Hearing Nurse was real bad . Watched TSN this morning and Button is praising Nurse for the game he played . Not sure if fans are being hard on him . Remember he is facing one of the best lines in hockey so they will force mistakes .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

This is true but the problem is Klefbom misses so much time to injuries then he had for a number of games until he gets up to speed . If Nurse wants 8 million trade him . If you get a D that close to Klefbom good and more durable you move Klefbom . Can’t move either tho unless we have replacement .

Broberg Bouchard
Jones Bear
Samorukov Larsson

Just need replacement for a few years . Larsson would also need to take less money . Samorukov hits like a truck and I rather that then someone that fights.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I didn’t see the game . I followed along on HF Oilers . Hearing Nurse was real bad . Watched TSN this morning and Button is praising Nurse for the game he played . Not sure if fans are being hard on him . Remember he is facing one of the best lines in hockey so they will force mistakes .

Tbh I think Nurse would be taking a lot less criticism right now if he didnt have 9 minutes on the pp without a goal produced. Our powerplay was baaaaaad...

Shoutout to Jones and Larsson, they hauled a lot of even strength time (and PK in larssons case) and looked good.

Also Lagesson had a couple eh moments, but shout out to him (along with the coaching staff) for his performance penalty killing for the first time in the NHL for almost 5 minutes minutes this game against the Bruins without a goal against

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad