Post-Game Talk: I’m not even mad

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
we only dressed 6 dmen last night. With Bouchard in town now, minutes should slow down for Nurse.

Take away all of Nurse PP1 duties and his ice time drops to a level he can easily maintain. It gets him out vs the other teams first line more often and fresher.

From what I recall, Bakersfield has similar systems to the Oilers so Bouchard should be able to be plugged into the PP immediately

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’d like to see Bear take Nurse PP minutes. Lagesson and Jones played well enough. Good effort for the D group overall despite a couple vapour locks by Nurse.

Rest up and be ready for the Wild on Friday. Desperate team coming in here. Will need to bring the A game again.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
For sure not a strong game from Leons linemates tonight but this featuring more prominently anytime they were matched against the "perfection line" which at times was really tough because all 3 of those guys are far better players than either Nuge or Yama. Its a matchup we just can't win without a McD in the lineup.

Solid effort by the Oilers, and good to get the point, but it kinda pisses me off that we give Pasta 2pts and Drai gets zero in our own rink. It shouldn't matter but that'll be a burn if Pasta ends up somehow winning the Hart.
We have to all care a lot less about the Hart and points and stats. I just care about wins, and success, and I hope the team does too. Being the scoring leader is LAME if you don't make the playoffs... screams that there are other issues at hand.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
except that the calls were not too consistent. They were almost randomly applied. Half of the calls tonight were really borderline. Even the Bruins got screwed with the call on Bergeron. Weak ass calls. That doesn't help the flow of the game or how its being played. They were losing control of this game even with the several penalty calls because they were not addressing the most blatant infractions. These are not even teams in the same conference, they hardly ever play, and yet there was bad blood due to how poorly the game was called.

I dunno I saw trips being called trips (Krug, and the no-namer who extended his leg on Jones). All slashes were immediately flagged. Hooking by definition is any impeding with the stick horizontal to the ice, and Bergeron got caught for at least the rule book definition for that on Bear. Can't argue too many of the calls made on us either. One miss on the Benning crosscheck he took into the numbers. What were some of the misses you saw?

I'm not sure the game was ever out of control really. All I learned was the Bruins really can't handle being hit clean after Beninng crosscheck and the mauling of Chiasson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We have to all care a lot less about the Hart and points and stats. I just care about wins, and success, and I hope the team does too. Being the scoring leader is LAME if you don't make the playoffs... screams that there are other issues at hand.
Sure, I'm obviously a big Draisaitl fan and it would be awesome imo for him to get that Hart Trophy win, he's deserved it. Its not either/or accomplishment we are speaking of. The Boston and Tampa players that have been around this trophy play on loaded teams and loaded lineups. For Drai its much different, and again this season, and not nearly as much to work with other than McD. Add that we have no PMD stud here and its amazing what McD and DRai have put together.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I didn’t see the game . I followed along on HF Oilers . Hearing Nurse was real bad . Watched TSN this morning and Button is praising Nurse for the game he played . Not sure if fans are being hard on him . Remember he is facing one of the best lines in hockey so they will force mistakes .

Thing I find with HF, or with most fans, is they'll hammer on a few isolated mistakes, and that is what shapes their assessment of a players game

Hockey evaluators like Button will assess on the whole.

It's why boring, low risk D tend to get favoured by fans. Little obvious, glaring mistakes get made

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’d like to see Bear take Nurse PP minutes. Lagesson and Jones played well enough. Good effort for the D group overall despite a couple vapour locks by Nurse.

Rest up and be ready for the Wild on Friday. Desperate team coming in here. Will need to bring the A game again.
Yeah, clearly Bear needs a look there on the top PP unit, especially if Klefbom is going to be out for a bit. This is of course, unless the plan is to slot Bouchard into the lineup next game, then have Bouchard play with the top group, and, imo, that's probably what we'll see.

I certainly trust Bouchard's passing skill and offensive instincts over Nurse's.

Reactions: frag2

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Having my morning coffee and just saying it again that it's a delight to have Yamamoto on this team. A guy like that raises the level of play for everyone on the team. Played against an absolute beast of a line all night, and got mangled by Chara and company in front of the net, and didn't look out of place at all. He's as important to his line as Draisaitl is for sure. Just in a different way.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
......and there goes the new, more lenient swear jar censors..... it always takes just 1 asshole to ruin it for the rest of us. f*ckingick. :sarcasm:

I'd be cool with an HFOIL swear jar, if we could all agree on a place to donate. I think that'll either make this place wholesome or maybe donate a bunch of f***in' money to kids!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Having my morning coffee and just saying it again that it's a delight to have Yamamoto on this team. A guy like that raises the level of play for everyone on the team. Played against an absolute beast of a line all night, and got mangled by Chara and company in front of the net, and didn't look out of place at all. He's as important to his line as Draisaitl is for sure. Just in a different way.

I like how they're calling him the honey badger now, exactly what he is, tenacious! I don't even mind losing, Oilers looked good vs the top team in the NHL and the got 1/2 a dozen PPs even.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I like to keep things simple. I am a simple man. My Momma told me when I was young. Troubles will come and they will pass. Listen closely to what I say.

Do you like Skynyrd's version or Shinedown's better? I'm a big Shinedown fan (underrated band in my opinion) and love their cover of it.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Smith was really solid all game.

No McDavid, Klefbom, Kassian, Neal, Nygard, and Russell and we played like that? That’s a good sign. Outstanding effort by the guys tonight.

The only upsetting part is how Nurse played. All in all, really happy with the effort from the Oilers tonight.

For sure. Smith had some big saves in the third.

Huge points and I feel a little bad for assuming this game was just going to be men vs boys and an uneventful loss. I'd imagine seeing them play like this must also give Connor a mental boost, or at least he must be enjoying seeing them put up points while he's not there.

Good stuff.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Step 1 of the Holland/Tippett experiment has succeeded - get this team to work hard and grind points. "Next man up" ringing true right now.
Step 2 will be to get the team to treat every game like this instead of laying turds against SJ, LA, DET etc...

Hot take: Nurse chews minutes but makes egregious decisions and unless he is transporting it with his feet, cannot move the puck. Glad he is not at $8 mill. Tyler Yaremchuk was a little over the top, but I generally agree with his Twitter rant:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Good game. Good effort by both teams. If we can play like that, & get that kind of goaltending, we'll continue to do well.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hot take: Nurse chews minutes but makes egregious decisions and unless he is transporting it with his feet, cannot move the puck. Glad he is not at $8 mill. Tyler Yaremchuk was a little over the top, but I generally agree with his Twitter rant:

Standard take, tbh. Nurse's only offensive skill is skating the puck out, but when he skates the puck out the play typically ends with him skating into the corner and throwing it on net blindly. Will only become more evident to people the more minutes he plays with these injuries.

Personally interested to see how he responds next game, because I have a feeling he knows this is an audition for him to be The Guy, and that he failed his first try pretty spectacularly. Was clearly frustrated and then went out and tried to be a hero in OT which lost his team the game.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Ok well I will eat some crow... I never thought Yamomoto would amount to anything and I was very critical of the pick and his development curve... Man was I wrong. That kid has heart and skill. The kind of energy I believe is infectious to his teammates. He will be successful if he keeps his energy level high - I thought he was great last night... Tip of the cap to him and pass the salt, my crow is bland... :) Glad to be VERY wrong on that one.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad