OT: Hypothetical: Who would you use a compliance buyout on.

Who would you buy out?

• Josh Anderson, 5 years left at 5.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Savard, 3 years left at 3.5

• Shea Weber, 4 years left at 7.8

• Jeff Petry, 3 years left at 6.25

• Christian Dvorak, 3 years at 4.45

• Total voters

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Webers contract is tradeable to a cap floor type of team. Might lose a 2nd rounder but we have lots of picks. I’d also wonder if Nashville would trade for him and then compliance buyout him? Would rid them of a potential headache

I am aware. It would still be the 2nd best compliance buyout we could do, by far.

Gallagher
____
____
Weber
____
____
Hoffman
____
Savard
Armia
____
Drouin
Byron
____
Petry
Dvorak
____
Price
____
____
Anderson
____
____
Suzuki

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Price age and health issue should be a no brainer. Last I checked Gallagher was protected not Price.

Both could be traded if half their salaries are retained... I prefer a 3,25 hit than a 5,25.

Price AINEC

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Price. While he might recover and his knee might hold up and he might go back to game stealing form, no guarantees of that happening. Even worse, if he recovers and those things don't happen, his contract becomes a massive anchor, that makes him a bigger liability than Gallagher who can still serve a role, put up some points and can be traded with a small retention and/or a decent pick or prospect.

A team looking to get to the cap floor would sooner take Gallagher over a recovered, under performing Price. Price's value is playing as #1 at an elite level, no one wants a 10mil backup.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price age and health issue should be a no brainer. Last I checked Gallagher was protected not Price.

Both could be traded if half their salaries are retained... I prefer a 3,25 hit than a 5,25.

Price AINEC
Price has more wrong than knee and addictions issues. Remember when Waite left, he said Price has back problems and hip is wore out. He is only a sneeze away from being out another 6 months. He's done, meanwhile his cap hit is killing us.

Petry I don't even know he was included in this poll. I am quite sure Hughes will move him this summer for whatever he can get for him. Likely give Petry away. The 6.25 million caphit Montreal can use to help the team in offseason.

Same as Armia, be surprised if he is here at start of camp. Habs may even give up minor asset to move him. Those 2 caphits are 10 million.

Drouin no way they are buying him out. He is in final year of contract and was one of our best players at start of season. On pace for 50 points under DD that is. He will improve under MSL. Drouin be traded next trade deadline.

Weber also likely gone this summer. His contract is movable. Why buy him out?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Price has more wrong than knee and addictions issues. Remember when Waite left, he said Price has back problems and hip is wore out. He is only a sneeze away from being out another 6 months. He's done, meanwhile his cap hit is killing us.

Petry I don't even know he was included in this poll. I am quite sure Hughes will move him this summer for whatever he can get for him. Likely give Petry away. The 6.25 million caphit Montreal can use to help the team in offseason.

Same as Armia, be surprised if he is here at start of camp. Habs may even give up minor asset to move him. Those 2 caphits are 10 million.

Drouin no way they are buying him out. He is in final year of contract and was one of our best players at start of season. On pace for 50 points under DD that is. He will improve under MSL. Drouin be traded next trade deadline.

Bergevin didn't really have a salary structure so most of his contracts are sort of randomly bad, but not buyout bad whatever the terms unless the prospects explode and the habs are suddenly in cup contention. Price's made sense when he signed it and it may still be OK if he's healthy. Gallagher's contract made sense in that MB was panicked he wouldn't sign and believed he was still the same player from 5 years ago, but doesn't make sense in competitive NHL terms.

The habs should have a better idea of Price's health than we do, so they would make the call between Price and Gallagher.

Impressively bad team building, though. Capped out and bottom 3 at the same time.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Bergevin didn't really have a salary structure so most of his contracts are sort of randomly bad, but not buyout bad whatever the terms unless the prospects explode and the habs are suddenly in cup contention. Price's made sense when he signed it and it may still be OK if he's healthy. Gallagher's contract made sense in that MB was panicked he wouldn't sign and believed he was still the same player from 5 years ago, but doesn't make sense in competitive NHL terms.

The habs should have a better idea of Price's health than we do, so they would make the call between Price and Gallagher.

Impressively bad team building, though. Capped out and bottom 3 at the same time.
The Price contract wasn't good at any moment, especially not at the moment it was signed and it only got worse with every passing year. The structure of the contract itself was a disaster before the ink was dried. With an imperfect team and a pipsqueak offense and no good players getting developed, you should think to sell off a prized asset instead of investing everything in him and going nowhere.

The Gallagher contract was terrible from the moment it was conceived and most reasonable people knew that. Bergevin and his bozo bicep club were not reasonable, nor their fanboys who equivocate(d) for their every decision.

Reactions: amethyst

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Gallagher for me too.
It's really between him and Price as they are the biggest contract on the longer terms.

But replacing a middle 6 winger is easy (especially with our prospect pool) while finding a good starting goalie is very hard, plus replacing a starting G cost a lot money, a middle-6 winger would cost less.
This^ if we retain on Price, we still have to replace him. Hes the best so... might as well suck up the $5m overpayment and just enjoy having the best goalie.
Gallagher on the otherhand, can and is already replaced with a warm body.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If Price proves he's still healthy, he does have value. Actually, some of the teams he'd be a good fit in have enough bad contracts that they could make it work if they sent then our way, with futures.

Gallagher though, I have no idea how they'll manage that contract. We can only pray he gets back to at least to his 20 goal form.
No chance he has any value at all. He’s a 35 year old goalie who has been very mediocre in 3 straight seasons who checked himself into rehab for substance abuse to start the year and has had knee injuries on and off for several seasons along with a 10.5m caphit. His value is as low as it gets, zero, nadda, zilch. If we move price it will be for another garbage contract.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

For all his reported problems he’s still been an awesome goalie behind bad teams. Nobody knows what’s left in the tank but he did just bring a crap team to the finals in one of the best playoff runs in recent memory. Some people are too quick to write him off. And it’s the same folks who’ve written him off for years. Then he upsets Pittsburgh and goes on last year’s crazy run.

That being said, it was silly to sign him and blow up the team. That made no sense whatsoever.

If he returns healthy, teams will definitely be interested. There’s a finite window for winning a cup and teams with goaltending issues would love the guy. He doesn’t fit with us though. Rebuild mode, crappy team… But at least he can still deliver. I’m not sure that Gallagher can anymore.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
For all his reported problems he’s still been an awesome goalie behind bad teams. Nobody knows what’s left in the tank but he did just bring a crap team to the finals in one of the best playoff runs in recent memory. Some people are too quick to write him off. And it’s the same folks who’ve written him off for years. Then he upsets Pittsburgh and goes on last year’s crazy run.

That being said, it was silly to sign him and blow up the team. That made no sense whatsoever.

If he returns healthy, teams will definitely be interested. There’s a finite window for winning a cup and teams with goaltending issues would love the guy. He doesn’t fit with us though. Rebuild mode, crappy team… But at least he can still deliver. I’m not sure that Gallagher can anymore.

Months before going into rehab. You think those performances suddenly just came out of his behind after 3 years of being average at best and with a bum knee?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I think with a good offseason of training, Gallagher could turn it around. He has too much pride. It really depends on what would be considered fair value. I think he's capable of getting back to 25g and 45-50pts. That is probably fair value for his contract, so the objective should be clear. As for Price, his value really depends on getting in the playoffs. Since that is unlikely for a couple of years, it is a tough one. But I think we'll be making the playoffs in 2023-2024. That's a couple of playoffs with Price.

Overall, I'm not too worried about the cap for the next two seasons. If we're worrying about it, then the team isn't focused on rebuilding, which means we're doing everything wrong anyway. The cap is an issue when preparing the roster for a playoff run.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The only ones I would consider are Gallagher and Weber.

The others either provide enough value to be worth keeping (Price, Anderson, Petry, Dvorak, Suzuki), not worth buying out just to need a replacement (Armia, Hoffman, Savard) or don't have enough term to make it worth it (Drouin).
Disagree with Anderson so not worth the money and term he got. And would not waste it on Weber given he just goes on LTIR.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It will matter hopefully in year 3
Well that’s when you make that move if it’s still needed.

I have a hard time believing the owner signs a buyout cheque for a team that has no aspirations to compete in the short term.

You buy out a player because you want to re-allocate that money elsewhere. Not because you think he’s overpaid.

But I realize the point of this thread is just to play the hypothetical, so in that sense, Joel Armia is the most logical one IMO.

Reactions: jaffy27

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Months before going into rehab. You think those performances suddenly just came out of his behind after 3 years of being average at best and with a bum knee?
Being average behind those teams is actually pretty good. He’s taken bad teams and turned them into bubble clubs.

Reactions: dcyhabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
With all the issues Price has you couldn't get 30 games a year out of him. No team is touching that contract. Even 50% retained his caphit still more than Hoffman almost as much as Gallagher. Both of whom can actually play
If you cant get 30 games out of him then he’s still injured….back on the LTIR and cap hit disappears…..that’s the ace in the sleeve with Price.

Gallagher is not a LTIR and his cap hit will always count on the cap, he lacks foot speed, thats not LTIR worthy

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I think with a good offseason of training, Gallagher could turn it around. He has too much pride. It really depends on what would be considered fair value. I think he's capable of getting back to 25g and 45-50pts. That is probably fair value for his contract, so the objective should be clear. As for Price, his value really depends on getting in the playoffs. Since that is unlikely for a couple of years, it is a tough one. But I think we'll be making the playoffs in 2023-2024. That's a couple of playoffs with Price.

Overall, I'm not too worried about the cap for the next two seasons. If we're worrying about it, then the team isn't focused on rebuilding, which means we're doing everything wrong anyway. The cap is an issue when preparing the roster for a playoff run.
Gallagher's longshot ceiling at this point in his career is a 3rd line agitator. Basically we are paying him $5m too much. So whatever the cap is, we will effectively ice a team that is valued at $10m less than the cap ceiling (incl prices contract overpayment)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Is Nashville on the hook for Webs contract? thought I read that somewhere..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad