OT: Hypothetical: Who would you use a compliance buyout on.

Who would you buy out?

• Josh Anderson, 5 years left at 5.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Savard, 3 years left at 3.5

• Shea Weber, 4 years left at 7.8

• Jeff Petry, 3 years left at 6.25

• Christian Dvorak, 3 years at 4.45

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Gally has more value AINEC.
In the most recent playoffs, which was last year, who had the bigger impact, Gally or Price?

Between the two, who has a better chance at making an impact if they recover, Price with his knee, or Gally with his lack of pace and speed?

Hey, they can possibly both make comebacks….but my money is on Price and the impact he can have on a team is far greater then the impact Gally would have.

IMHO

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Price has no value, actually, I’d say he quite clearly has negative value. There won’t be anyone looking to take this contract on. Even if we eat half of it it is still a tough sell.

If Price proves he's still healthy, he does have value. Actually, some of the teams he'd be a good fit in have enough bad contracts that they could make it work if they sent then our way, with futures.

Gallagher though, I have no idea how they'll manage that contract. We can only pray he gets back to at least to his 20 goal form.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Looking at is as purely cost savings I’d go with Price. He will be overpaid by $5MM for 4 years and Gally will be overpaid by $3MM for 5. First 2 years shouldn’t matter as we shouldn’t be trying to sign UFAs, next couple would be better to have Price off the books.
difference is if Price gets hot, you can trade him with his blessing, but if it goes south, it's because the knee gave out and he goes on LTIR and his cap disappears.

Gally's problem is footspeed, if he shits the bed, he doesn't go on LTIR, he's on your cap at 6.5m$ playing on the 3rd line chipping in 10 goals a year.

Reactions: zeeto

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If Price proves he's still healthy, he does have value. Actually, some of the teams he'd be a good fit in have enough bad contracts that they could make it work if they sent then our way, with futures.

Gallagher though, I have no idea how they'll manage that contract. We can only pray he gets back to at least to his 20 goal form.
Only two teams that are competitive, need a goalie upgrade, and have longterm bad contracts are Blues and Pens.

Blues: Binnington/Faulk/Krug although Faulk and Krug are key pieces for them and they need to save the cap to resign Thomas, Kyrou, Tarasenko, and ROR.

Pens: Matheson/Pettersson and maybe willing to give up Jarry to go for one last run with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Realistically, we need to retain on Price at around 50% to trade him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Only two teams that are competitive, need a goalie upgrade, and have longterm bad contracts are Blues and Pens.

Blues: Binnington/Faulk/Krug although Faulk and Krug are key pieces for them and they need to save the cap to resign Thomas, Kyrou, Tarasenko, and ROR.

Pens: Matheson/Pettersson and maybe willing to give up Jarry to go for one last run with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Malkin and Letang are UFAs and could still get a big payday if they choose that route. I think the Pens "window" is already closed. Can't imagine they'd take discounts when they already have 3 cups.

St. Louis would need to be Saad + Binnington if they want to keep their core intact. Saad is a nothing piece making almost 5 mil.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Gally is very loved by the people who just watch games and don't follow anything going on with the cap, draft, etc.

Lol as opposed to the hf boards geniuses such as ourselves. Remember when everyone on here was sure Pacioretty was going to return nothing?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lol as opposed to the hf boards geniuses such as ourselves. Remember when everyone on here was sure Pacioretty was going to return nothing?
Nah we're definitely idiots too. The reddit fanbase are too optimistic, here we're 100% cynicism. It just so happens that bad things happen in life more often than good so we look right more often.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gallagher. Not close.

Love what he’s done for us. Great heart. But it’s a long expensive contract and he seems to be out of gas. Hopefully he comes back healthy and better next year but right now it doesn’t look good.

Price if he can return healthy we’ll be able to trade or we can just play him if the rebuild is short.

Don’t know why anyone would vote Drouin.

Reactions: jaffy27

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Why someone would vote for anyone other than Gallagher is totally beyond me.

And lol at people voting Drouin. The guy has 1 year left on his contract. Why waste a compliance buyout on a useless guy with an expiring contract over a guy that will be useless AND paid more than Drouin for 5 more years? Plus Drouin will likely pass some considerable time on LTIR as usual next year, and his contract will be up afterwards.

Man, that contract will be painful. It already is, so imagine 3 years from now.

As for Price, true, his cap hit hurts, but he's still a very good and useful player. He's not even in my top 3 candidates for a compliance buyout on this team.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Gallagher. Not close.

Love what he’s done for us. Great heart. But it’s a long expensive contract and he seems to be out of gas. Hopefully he comes back healthy and better next year but right now it doesn’t look good.

Price if he can return healthy we’ll be able to trade or we can just play him if the rebuild is short.

Don’t know why anyone would vote Drouin.
Or Suzuki, lol

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Thing is Price still holds tons of value, especially if the knee holds, you can then trade him.

Gallagher has obviously lost a step, will be much more difficult to move if not impossible.....

Who knows, he's a gym rat so maybe he spends the off season working on speed
Well 10.5 million a year for 4 years has a lot of value too!

A lot than Carey Price with wonky knees and addictions at 35 has. He's done

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
As alot of people here predicted Gallagher's body would break down due to the way he plays. How Bergevin didn't have the foresight to predict the same thing just shows what a bad GM he was.

Gally is a warrior and has sacrificed his body for the team. I don't like to criticize the guy but that contract is a real stinker. Another great move by Bergevin. A good GM would have unloaded him when his value was high.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No one this coming year…maybe Armia next year if he still stinks and you can’t trade him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Looking at is as purely cost savings I’d go with Price. He will be overpaid by $5MM for 4 years and Gally will be overpaid by $3MM for 5. First 2 years shouldn’t matter as we shouldn’t be trying to sign UFAs, next couple would be better to have Price off the books.
If it doesn’t matter…why buy anyone out?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Edmonton can make it work, so can Washington, with retention (and not that much retention). If motivated, so could the Avs and Stars. That was my count, around 4-6 teams that would be interested. For a lot of GMs, it's like trading for a 35 year old Malkin at goal. It's still worth it for a number of them, especially the old school guys who don't mind giving big deals to a Pavelski, for example. I think the 50% retention is only necessary if we want a ridiculous haul. Price is worth way more than 5,75M, he would get more on the open market even at his age.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Sorry but Gallagher buyout doesn't make any sense, he has 5 years remaining at his contract, if we buy him out he'd stay on the cap for 10 years at 2.266 M cap hit average , that's crazy
the contract is awful from the get go, would take a miracle to fix this, I don't see a trade possible neither
anyway next 2 years it's not like we are contenders, so just keep him and buy out his last 3 years maybe

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sorry but Gallagher buyout doesn't make any sense, he has 5 years remaining at his contract, if we buy him out he'd stay on the cap for 10 years at 2.266 M cap hit average , that's crazy
the contract is awful from the get go, would take a miracle to fix this, I don't see a trade possible neither
anyway next 2 years it's not like we are contenders, so just keep him and buy out his last 3 years maybe
The topic is Compliance Buyouts, not regular ones. No cap penalty with Compliance Buyouts.

Bergevin had two when he started, he used them on Gomez and Kaberle.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Voted Price. At least with Gallagher you get some cap relief the regular buyout route. With Price, the only way to get cap relief is a compliance buyout route.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The only ones I would consider are Gallagher and Weber.

The others either provide enough value to be worth keeping (Price, Anderson, Petry, Dvorak, Suzuki), not worth buying out just to need a replacement (Armia, Hoffman, Savard) or don't have enough term to make it worth it (Drouin).

Webers contract is tradeable to a cap floor type of team. Might lose a 2nd rounder but we have lots of picks. I’d also wonder if Nashville would trade for him and then compliance buyout him? Would rid them of a potential headache

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad