OT: Hypothetical: Who would you use a compliance buyout on.

Who would you buy out?

• Josh Anderson, 5 years left at 5.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Savard, 3 years left at 3.5

• Shea Weber, 4 years left at 7.8

• Jeff Petry, 3 years left at 6.25

• Christian Dvorak, 3 years at 4.45

• Total voters

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Let's get into a hypothetical scenario; the NHL gives every team one compliance buyout due to stagnant cap from the COVID years. You are the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and are following a similar path that Hughes and Gorton have set up. Who would you buy out for "free"? For which reason did you choose that player?

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Gallagher. His contract has the most term and he just is not good anymore.

I would consider Price but if he so make it to the POs 2-3 years from now, I expect him to be able to pull off a playoff MVP performance. I also am a huge Price fan.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Gallagher for me too.
It's really between him and Price as they are the biggest contract on the longer terms.

But replacing a middle 6 winger is easy (especially with our prospect pool) while finding a good starting goalie is very hard, plus replacing a starting G cost a lot money, a middle-6 winger would cost less.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Hoffman is the only buy out that doesn't hurt our cap that much. Buying out Gally doesn't make any sense for cap management especially with one year at 4.7M of cap hit.

Edit : Misread. Compliance buyout goes to Gally 100%

Last edited:

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
To me it’s Gallagher and Hoffman after.

We could live with Price. Elite but costly elite goalie.
Armia contract is better then this bord acknowledged

Drouin would be #3 for a buyout. The only reason he’s lower than Gally and Hoffman is the numbers of years. He’s trash.

Petry and Savard isn’t too bad either.

Suzuki has a good contract.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let's get into a hypothetical scenario; the NHL gives every team one compliance buyout due to stagnant cap from the COVID years. You are the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and are following a similar path that Hughes and Gorton have set up. Who would you buy out for "free"? For which reason did you choose that player?

Oh this poll should be a real nail-biter ... NOT!

Reactions: jaffy27

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Oh this poll should be a real nail-biter ... NOT!
I think if it were on reddit or another platform the results would be more varied. Gally is very loved by the people who just watch games and don't follow anything going on with the cap, draft, etc. He is pretty clearly f***ing up our entire cap/roster situation though with his contract relative to his performance.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Love my boi Gallagher, he gave a lot to the team, but 6,5M for 5 more years is absolutly atrocious

Same for Price (my runner-up). He's a legend, but 4 years at freakin' 10,5M is madness. Only reason why I'd buy out Gallagher first is that Price can still steal games for us.

Drouin, I would not do it. Either I trade him at the next tdl or I sign him back but much cheaper. I'd like to see him play too under a coach that will not try to make him a play a garbage defense-first system.

Reactions: Pickles and dcyhabs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The only ones I would consider are Gallagher and Weber.

The others either provide enough value to be worth keeping (Price, Anderson, Petry, Dvorak, Suzuki), not worth buying out just to need a replacement (Armia, Hoffman, Savard) or don't have enough term to make it worth it (Drouin).

Reactions: dcyhabs

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I read it wrong and voted Drouin.

Absolutely Gallagher.

Honestly, buying him out regular wouldn't hurt too much. Only one year it's $4.7M and the rest basically $2.2M. This is the last season where the Alzner buyout hurts ($1.9M drops to 833k)

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Gally. That money and term, plus his output is a killer.

Price literally took us to a SCF last year so I'm not sure why people choose him when he clearly still has value and once we offload the Weber contract, Price can move to LTIR if he decides to hang them up, but if we retained some salary, I promise there would be 3-4 teams dying to get his services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad