OT: Hypothetical: Who would you use a compliance buyout on.

Who would you buy out?

• Josh Anderson, 5 years left at 5.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Savard, 3 years left at 3.5

• Shea Weber, 4 years left at 7.8

• Jeff Petry, 3 years left at 6.25

• Christian Dvorak, 3 years at 4.45

• Total voters

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If you cant get 30 games out of him then he’s still injured….back on the LTIR and cap hit disappears…..that’s the ace in the sleeve with Price.

Gallagher is not a LTIR and his cap hit will always count on the cap, he lacks foot speed, thats not LTIR worthy
By ovation fans gave Price other night many thought maybe his last game there. Or one of final ones.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Being average behind those teams is actually pretty good. He’s taken bad teams and turned them into bubble clubs.
The teams were meh when he was healthy and hopeless when he wasn't. Same when Markov was in or out. They just barely had enough key guys to compete when everyone was available. It was up to the GM to get, not many players, but maybe one or two more key guys, a really good center and maybe one other play driver. They had a sniper, a #1D, a #2D (edited) and power play QB, a star goalie. They didn't need some mediocre veteran depth for the playoffs, they needed one or two key play drivers. Radulov could have been one, but then they couldn't re-sign him or Markov, and then they needed 2+ guys again.

If Price comes back they'll have him, and a few pretty good young guys. If they are really lucky and Romanov is a #1D, Suzuki a #1C, and Caufield a play driving first liner then they probably need 2-3 more guys. What are the chances Romanov becomes a #1 D or Suzuki a dominant #1 C? Chances are they still need more than 2-3 guys, and not just bodies, but elite top players.

The buyouts would help, lose Gallagher's contract, maybe lose Weber's and/or Price's if he's no longer a healthy star goalie, but it won't really matter until the habs get a few more elite players. It's not likely they'll get those players before most of the contracts they'd buy out are up. Not sure that one year of Price or 2 years of Gallagher's salary is enough to cause cap problems. If things work out there will be a lot of young guys on ELCs. It's unlikely the team will be good before 2025 or so, though.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I'd really like to see if Gallagher will still be a 5% shooter next year before using a buyout on him, and anyway, it's all theoretical. Maybe I'm an optimistic fan but I'd rather buyout Hoffman, as he's clearly not fitting anywhere on this team and doesn't even bring intangibles except being a dedicated tank commander.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd really like to see if Gallagher will still be a 5% shooter next year before using a buyout on him, and anyway, it's all theoretical. Maybe I'm an optimistic fan but I'd rather buyout Hoffman, as he's clearly not fitting anywhere on this team and doesn't even bring intangibles except being a dedicated tank commander.
I think we could move Gallagher next year. If he wants to go??

Likely LA. His old friend Bergs is out there. Along with Danault. If Habs retained some probably could get decent return on Gallagher

Reactions: GrandBison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad