OT: Hypothetical: Who would you use a compliance buyout on.

Who would you buy out?

• Josh Anderson, 5 years left at 5.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Savard, 3 years left at 3.5

• Shea Weber, 4 years left at 7.8

• Jeff Petry, 3 years left at 6.25

• Christian Dvorak, 3 years at 4.45

• Total voters

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Looking at that list of contracts.....
Oh No Emoticon

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gally
Gally
Gally
It's not even close guys......and I have always been a fan, but the second he signed that deal, and Bergy cried like a baby, I knew we would regret this contract.
He had zero chance to live up to it.......zero.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Thing is Price still holds tons of value, especially if the knee holds, you can then trade him.

Gallagher has obviously lost a step, will be much more difficult to move if not impossible.....

Who knows, he's a gym rat so maybe he spends the off season working on speed
Price has no value, actually, I’d say he quite clearly has negative value. There won’t be anyone looking to take this contract on. Even if we eat half of it it is still a tough sell.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Pretty easy choice of Gallagher. Price either comes back healthy next year - - making himself useful to the Habs or attractive to a contender looking for a goalie - - or breaks down physically again and becomes a LTIRetired candidate. Gallagher's contract is extremely difficult to move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson and Eco

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Someone can correct me but because the bulk of Price's contract is signing bonus there would be little savings in buying him out.

So it's probably Gallagher.

Those two players were rewarded for past service which is risky business, the law of diminishing returns is kicking in.

Is there a reason Paul Byron is not on the list?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Price has no value, actually, I’d say he quite clearly has negative value. There won’t be anyone looking to take this contract on. Even if we eat half of it it is still a tough sell.
You get a 3 team deal and it's very likely that the money will definitely work and Price will prove he still has value. It was just months ago he led us to the SCF, He's a giant in the playoffs and you get some of these teams are missing a goalie for a true SCF push, and I'm sure they would love to work out a way to get Price on their team.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Someone can correct me but because the bulk of Price's contract is signing bonus there would be little savings in buying him out.

Those two players were rewarded for past service which is risky business, the law of diminishing returns is kicking in.

2 years at 3.4m isn't the worst in the world, especially since it'll be gone by the time our rebuild is over.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

This is a compliance buyout. Contract structure doesn't matter as there would be no cap hit.

Reactions: Chili

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
This is a compliance buyout. Contract structure doesn't matter as there would be no cap hit.

If those were the rules, then Price would be my easy choice. That's a lot more cap space.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Looking at is as purely cost savings I’d go with Price. He will be overpaid by $5MM for 4 years and Gally will be overpaid by $3MM for 5. First 2 years shouldn’t matter as we shouldn’t be trying to sign UFAs, next couple would be better to have Price off the books.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Some truly heinous contracts and commitments there. The way the Price contract is structured makes it buyout proof too. This is majorly why I didn’t like that Sedgwick guy to stay with the organization — what’s the point of a capologist if they won’t protect your cap interests?

I’d use a compliance buy-out on Price because Gallagher is so bad that a normal buyout+ 2m player would be a positive replacement.

But many of these contracts are very bad in terms of cap efficiency. MSL needs to get them to keep playing pond hockey and pump up their values.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The only ones I would consider are Gallagher and Weber.

The others either provide enough value to be worth keeping (Price, Anderson, Petry, Dvorak, Suzuki), not worth buying out just to need a replacement (Armia, Hoffman, Savard) or don't have enough term to make it worth it (Drouin).
I think with Weber there is still the possibility to trade him to a cap floor team because of the salary to cap hit disparity. I fully expect he'll be dealt early to mid July. Arizona have like 30 mil coming off the books for guys who aren't going to be re-signed. I figure even in a compliance scenario it's moveable.

Byron was excluded because his term is not too bad and he's played pretty much where he should be in the lineup. He'll likely be flipped at the deadline next year. I only kept Drouin, also 1 year left, on there because he's faced a lot of scrutiny. For some I'm sure buying out Drouin and using the money immediately on an upgrade would be their preferred choice.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Thing is Price still holds tons of value, especially if the knee holds, you can then trade him.

Gallagher has obviously lost a step, will be much more difficult to move if not impossible.....

Who knows, he's a gym rat so maybe he spends the off season working on speed
He has an nmc. He stays if he wants to stay and he could stop the tank, drag the team into mediocrity. Price is a wild card. Have to keep him if he’s healthy and the rebuild goes fast, have to “rest” him a lot if the tank is on and he’s still good. If he’s not able to win his contract is a problem.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Lmao Anderson has good value. Players like him are rare commodity. Even if Wilson is better, Teams would line up to get Anderson.

He’s far from being in buy out territory
We better capitalize on that then before other GMs realize he's a terrible hockey player that kills every line he's on

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Gally, of course. He's become a nuisance. And whoever thought light blue typeface against a white background was a good design choice needs to go back to school. :skeptic:
Almost as great as how the page suddenly jumps downwards every time it's loading it's stupid banner ad making you click on the wrong thing every time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad