Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was very against trading for Daniel Winnik (as well as ALL moves after Perron). But it seemed like 90% of this board was in favor of getting him.

So this is hilarious to me now, when people diss him.

I have nothing against Winnik the player in a depth role, it was the price paid and the principle of more mediocre vets. I could have easily said "the next Goc, Murray, Stempniak, etc."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have nothing against Winnik the player in a depth role, it was the price paid and the principle of more mediocre vets. I could have easily said "the next Goc, Murray, Stempniak, etc."

It was nearing the deadline...it didn't matter who it was, the player was going to get over paid for.

I was hoping this team had the brains not to, but then the Despres trade, then this one and the team giving up on Bortuzzo as well because they couldn't reign him in..etc.

Just too much stupidity in such a short amount of time, you know?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I strongly dislike the rising trend of management by committee in the NHL, especially when the management structure is used to absolve each particular person of accountability. How is it that our GM and Assistant GM have both gone on the record saying they didn't approve of a trade?

Neither has really gone on record. But Rutherford was obviously distancing himself from the trade even while he was announcing the trade at the press conference, and has done-so even more lately, even admitting he wouldn't make the trade again if he had a chance. The Botterill stuff is all rumor as far as I know. The stuff about Spaling is a rumor (and not a believable one in particular), as well as the stuff about him warning the team about cap issues late in the season and about him not wanting to trade Despres. Some of it might even just be logical thinking.. like how could someone with Botterill's experience and resume be so stupid as to approve the Despres trade, or not see the cap situation since he is the cap-guru.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Assistant coaches don't fall under that rule, Nasreddine would be free to go to New Jersey.

We could, theoretically, block him from doing so...but it'd be an incredible dick move to block him from getting an NHL job.

He's served as an Assistant Coach in the AHL for Hynes since 2010-11...I would think he would be in line for that Head Coaching gig, but them saying they are going to look for one means they probably know he's gone?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If Madden made up the stuff about Botterill not wanting Spaling for cap reasons, he made it up about a week after the trade. He's been saying that for a long, long time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Neither has really gone on record. But Rutherford was obviously distancing himself from the trade even while he was announcing the trade at the press conference, and has done-so even more lately, even admitting he wouldn't make the trade again if he had a chance. The Botterill stuff is all rumor as far as I know. The stuff about Spaling is a rumor (and not a believable one in particular), as well as the stuff about him warning the team about cap issues late in the season and about him not wanting to trade Despres. Some of it might even just be logical thinking.. like how could someone with Botterill's experience and resume be so stupid as to approve the Despres trade, or not see the cap situation since he is the cap-guru.

Yeah, when JR is gone after next year, I really hope someone asks him about all of this.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He's served as an Assistant Coach in the AHL for Hynes since 2010-11...I would think he would be in line for that Head Coaching gig, but them saying they are going to look for one means they probably know he's gone?

It would appear that way. He may also not be a head coach candidate period...some guys are better fit being assistants.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Assistant coaches don't fall under that rule, Nasreddine would be free to go to New Jersey.

We could, theoretically, block him from doing so...but it'd be an incredible dick move to block him from getting an NHL job.

They could block it by advancing him in their own NHL coaching core.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
They could block it by advancing him in their own NHL coaching core.

I'd imagine they'd have done that last year when putting the staff together, if they were going to do it.

I don't think an AHL assistant coach is worth losing our hair over. He's worked under Hynes for his entire coaching career, so I'd have to imagine that his loyalties are more to Hynes than the Penguins.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd imagine they'd have done that last year when putting the staff together, if they were going to do it.

I don't think an AHL assistant coach is worth losing our hair over. He's worked under Hynes for his entire coaching career, so I'd have to imagine that his loyalties are more to Hynes than the Penguins.

That seems logical.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be happy to let Nasreddine go with Hynes. I'm sure he's a fine assistant and might even be a good AHL head coach as well but he doesn't strike me as some up-and-coming hockey mind like Hynes was/is. Or even Bylsma was for that matter. Or Todd Richards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It was nearing the deadline...it didn't matter who it was, the player was going to get over paid for.

I was hoping this team had the brains not to, but then the Despres trade, then this one and the team giving up on Bortuzzo as well because they couldn't reign him in..etc.

Just too much stupidity in such a short amount of time, you know?

For sure

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

Well, he did play 5 years in the Penguins organization, including 56 of his 74 career NHL games and a couple hundred AHL games with WBS. He has fairly deep ties to the team that could potentially influence him. An NHL gig is an NHL gig though. I figure that's the main reason he'd follow Hynes.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This is a big loss for the Wilkes-Barre Penguins. He was a great coach for them and was a regular 40+ win coach. Good to see him get an NHL gig but the Devils is a sucky job.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think he's going to do great. You hope for his sake that he's not there to take the fall for the rebuild.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Found it interesting Shero's comments about what kind of team he wants to build. Attacking with speed and support. 5 man units in all 3 zones. Pretty much everything Bylsma struggled with and alot of what Johnston wants here. His comments really showed me he was finally done with DB hockey.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Pittsburgh Penguins: we don't have any 1st round picks but we have a crap ton of 3rds!!! This year? Uhhmmm.. Well next year but still! 3RDZ

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
This is a big loss for the Wilkes-Barre Penguins. He was a great coach for them and was a regular 40+ win coach. Good to see him get an NHL gig but the Devils is a sucky job.

This is a big blow to the big club as well. Once Johnston is handed his walking papers after next season we don't have any internal options for replacement.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is a big blow to the big club as well. Once Johnston is handed his walking papers after next season we don't have any internal options for replacement.

its a shame that we already fired MJ. Weird that we're letting him coach another year first.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
its a shame that we already fired MJ. Weird that we're letting him coach another year first.

Predicting the future here seems to be all the rage so when in Rome...

Oh and I clearly stated AFTER next season. I do not believe he will be the coach longer than that.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Found it interesting Shero's comments about what kind of team he wants to build. Attacking with speed and support. 5 man units in all 3 zones. Pretty much everything Bylsma struggled with and alot of what Johnston wants here. His comments really showed me he was finally done with DB hockey.

Didn't he interview Bylsma for that job as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad