Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
If we get a 2nd for him, will that allow us to offer sheet Brandon Saad? Or do the picks need to be all of our own?!

The picks need to be our own.

We could gamble and trade Toronto this year's 2nd for next year's 2nd if the Pens want to plan on doing that. But if you fall short of doing that, you're left with no picks in the first 4 rounds of a deep draft.

On the other hand, we would have our 2016 2nd back, and at the moment, we would have our 1st, 2nd, three 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Plus we can acquire picks this year by selling off players like Kunitz, Sutter, maybe Scuderi, etc.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hey guys,

we're just wondering what kind of system Hynes runs. Any specifics you can elaborate on?

Strictly speaking, he's supposed to run exactly what the big club does, but most people think that he's been calling audibles for years, particularly as it pertains to the breakout. It's anybody's guess what he'll do when his hands are completely untied. He's also never had forwards like Henrique or Zajac at his disposal. Usually undersized nobodys or college players that can't skate.

Someone who follows Wilkes-barre closer than I do can try, but I'm not sure anyone but Hynes can actually tell you what to expect tactically once his hands are untied.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I read a Devils fan say they still want Scott Stevens behind the bench so "when this guy (Hynes) gets fired, Stevens can take over" :laugh:

If Stevens was the guy, they would have hired him already!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Disagree. The organization needs fixed first.

Dude. You've been saying for years this team had the talent to win a Cup. You were wrong. The team has never been built correctly, and now Sid and Geno can't carry them anymore.

Stamkos went half the playoffs without a goal. He's in the Cup Final right now. Toews scored a grand total of 3 en route to a Cup in 2013.

That's the problem. Not the coach. Not Sid and Geno.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I remember we originally didn't ask for compensation for Shero, but I thought I read somewhere that we changed our minds after Chiarelli went to Edmonton....Can someone confirm If this is true?

They signed Shero, Bylsma, Hynes.....do we get 3 picks or just 2?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Is JB saying this because Daniels is a Rutherford crony and therefore a likely candidate or because he'd be a good coach?

I'm going to say the former.

The Charlotte Checkers haven't made the playoffs since the 2010-11 season. I don't know how much of that is on Daniels.

Jeff Daniels apparently likes running the same system as the NHL Club just like Hynes did under Bylsma, so maybe Daniels would have success here if he runs a system similar to Johnston.

That would be a good hire.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why are we getting picks for coaches/GM's? I don't ever remember teams getting compensated.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dude. You've been saying for years this team had the talent to win a Cup. You were wrong. The team has never been built correctly, and now Sid and Geno can't carry them anymore.

Stamkos went half the playoffs without a goal. He's in the Cup Final right now. Toews scored a grand total of 3 en route to a Cup in 2013.

That's the problem. Not the coach. Not Sid and Geno.

the organization is more than the coach. The team did have the talent to win a Cup. But the team has consistently gotten worse pretty much every year. The organization has no idea what its doing.

penguins2946*

I wonder how high of a 1st we could get this year by packaging our 2nd with these 2 compensation picks. Could we get a 1st for that?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Interestingly enough, we were trying to hire Utica Comets head coach Travis Green as an assistant coach before we hired Gary Agnew (who is still a pretty good coach).

Travis Green was Johnston's right hand man in Portland, being his assistant coach and assistant GM.

There is this tidbit about him from Wikipedia.

Midway through the 2012–13 season head coach and general manager Mike Johnston was suspended by the WHL for player-benefit violations. Green took over as interim head coach, finishing with a 37–8–0–2 record in the final 47 games. In the playoffs Portland advanced to the final where they defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings in six games to win the Ed Chynoweth Cup as WHL champions and secure a berth in the Memorial Cup tournament. In the tournament Portland lost in the final to the Halifax Mooseheads.

He is in the Conference Final right now, 1 win away from the Calder Cup Final. I know there is no way he comes here in terms of being Wilkes Barre's head coach, but assuming he doesn't get hired by an NHL team soon, he could be our new head coach if the Pens and Johnston go in a different direction at some point.

Not saying Johnston would lose his job, you never know though. I'm an MJ supporter and think he's a good coach, but our next head coach doesn't have to be in Wilkes Barre.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Interestingly enough, we were trying to hire Utica Comets head coach Travis Green as an assistant coach before we hired Gary Agnew (who is still a pretty good coach).

Travis Green was Johnston's right hand man in Portland, being his assistant coach and assistant GM.

There is this tidbit about him from Wikipedia.

He is in the Conference Final right now, 1 win away from the Calder Cup Final. I know there is no way he comes here in terms of being Wilkes Barre's head coach, but assuming he doesn't get hired by an NHL team soon, he could be our new head coach if the Pens and Johnston go in a different direction at some point.

Not saying Johnston would lose his job, you never know though. I'm an MJ supporter and think he's a good coach, but our next head coach doesn't have to be in Wilkes Barre.

If our next coach is another first time NHL coach I may riot

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Really going off on a tangent (par for the course) but the roster AND the organization are in need of fixing. I'd rather fix the organization first. That is the best way to fix the roster.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really going off on a tangent (par for the course) but the roster AND the organization are in need of fixing. I'd rather fix the organization first. That is the best way to fix the roster.

right. at this point, the roster needs fixed obviously. But I just have zero faith in it happening without the organization being fixed.

regardless, I do not think coaching is our biggest concern at this point. Though I still really hate that coach was the only position we didn't seem to value experience.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
the organization is more than the coach. The team did have the talent to win a Cup. But the team has consistently gotten worse pretty much every year. The organization has no idea what its doing.

Roster construction and luck are what this team needs more of. I think we can only improve on both fronts from here on out.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Roster construction and luck are what this team needs more of. I think we can only improve on both fronts from here on out.

I mean, if the roster was properly constructed, I wouldn't say the organization needs fixed. But the organization being a mess is why our roster has gotten worse every year while also giving away assets every year along the way. The end goal needs to be to fix the roster, but at this point I think we need organizational changes for that to happen.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
If our next coach is another first time NHL coach I may riot

It depends on who is available. If it's guy like Tippett, then okay, I'd want him as an NHL coach with experience, but if it's a guy like Marc Crawford? :laugh:

We won't have to worry about this anytime soon I don't think. I can see MJ being employed through the duration of his contract and when his deal is up 2 years from now, we'll re-evaluate.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Hmmm. Wonder if the Devils get 2 of our coaches if we can get more than a 3rd from them. They should give us a 1st and take Scuds for taking Shero, Hynes, and Nasreddine :laugh:

The guy I'm most pissed about losing is Nasreddine if that happens. I think he's going to be a diamond of a coach one day.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I hate losing Hynes, but it's obvious he wasn't going to get promoted inside the organization...so at least we get a pick for losing him.

I was kinda hoping he'd get the job last year...but he didn't and that basically put a ticking clock on how much longer he was going to be in the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad