Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Honestly not sure why he didn't get the Penguins' gig last year if they were going to go with a Junior guy.... I feel like this is a big blow to the organization.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's one way to get draft picks.

Truthfully... we weren't doing anything w/ Shero, Bylsma, or Hynes. Even though I would like Hynes over Johnston since both had zero experience, it doesn't matter if it means we can get picks for a WBS coach we'd never use.

Sooooooo not bad. Now move Johnston to AHL and go get Todd Mclellan.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's one way to get draft picks.

Truthfully... we weren't doing anything w/ Shero, Bylsma, or Hynes. Even though I would like Hynes over Johnston since both had zero experience, it doesn't matter if it means we can get picks for a WBS coach we'd never use.

Sooooooo not bad. Now move Johnston to AHL and go get Todd Mclellan.
McLellan is with the Oilers. Only person left will be Tippett if he gets let go.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know. Nasreddine's been understudy for quite a while. Have to think he learned something (or a lot of somethings). Could just slot him in and have Kostopoulous understudy him when he's ready to call it quits, which should be after this next year I would think. TK's the new mister Wilkes-Barre after Bonvie skipped town.

Still, even though I'm not displeased with Johnston's work, per se, yeah, if you were going to go off the board, may as well have been with Hynes.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I hope the pick is for this year but doubt it. Given Shero just coming aboard and them having three next year.

If we could flip Scuds and Kunitz for some picks we could make a draft of it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't know. Nasreddine's been understudy for quite a while. Have to think he learned something (or a lot of somethings). Could just slot him in and have Kostopoulous understudy him when he's ready to call it quits. TK's the new mister Wilkes-Barre after Bonvie skipped town.

Still, even though I'm not displeased with Johnston's work, per se, yeah, if you were going to go off the board, may as well have been with Hynes.

I didn't want another AHL/inexperienced coach after Bylsma, but they went that route anyhow, so yea, I would have just preferred to keep "the next hottest AHL commodity."

Maybe he'll be a massive bust and this'll work out because the Pens get a 3rd for it

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly not sure why he didn't get the Penguins' gig last year if they were going to go with a Junior guy.... I feel like this is a big blow to the organization.

Beat me to it.

So this is a double edge sword. Since we were going w/ inexperience, I thought the right guy would have been Hynes. I just don't think inexperience was the right move. PERIOD. I know you agree with me.

I agree that Hynes was better used in the organization but i GUARANTEE we wouldn't have used him. So to get a pick.... why not?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think it's a blow to WBS, don't get me wrong, Hynes is a great coach but we've seen coaches come and go from the team. 5 current head coaches were there. Therrien, Yeo, Bylsma, Richards, Hynes.

Botterill was on the staff for most of those hires. I'm sure he will lead the coaching search (he is the GM of Wilkes Barre IIRC).

I have 0 doubts in my mind about the new WBS head coach, they'll find someone. I mentioned Todd Nelson or Dallas Eakins as guys who have already coached in the AHL. There are CHL, USHL, and NCAA coaches out there that could be looking for a promotion.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't know. Nasreddine's been understudy for quite a while. Have to think he learned something (or a lot of somethings). Could just slot him in and have Kostopoulous understudy him when he's ready to call it quits, which should be after this next year I would think. TK's the new mister Wilkes-Barre after Bonvie skipped town.

Bombulie suggested the Nasreddine may be following Hynes. (I posted the tweets in the around the NHL thread.) Both going at once would be a big loss for WBS. I would hope the Penguins try to promote Nasreddine before anything with NJ is agreed to, but I would imagine he'd rather be an NHL assistant the AHL HC.

Also, regarding the experience argument: Johnston has a ton more experience than Hynes. Nearly a decade as an NHL assistant, years with Canadian national teams, etc. It's not even close.

That said I was really hoping for Hynes last year, too. Bummed they're losing him, but I hope he does well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Bombulie suggested the Nasreddine may be following Hynes. (I posted the tweets in the around the NHL thread.) Both going at once would be a big loss for WBS. I would hope the Penguins try to promote Nasreddine before anything with NJ is agreed to, but I would imagine he'd rather be an NHL assistant the AHL HC.

Also, regarding the experience argument: Johnston has a ton more experience than Hynes. Nearly a decade as an NHL assistant, years with Canadian national teams, etc. It's not even close.

That said I was really hoping for Hynes last year, too. Bummed they're losing him, but I hope he does well.

Do Pens get compensation for Nas aswell?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Huh. Isn't that yet another pick?

But yeah, that could be a problem.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
we're finally going to have prospects to develop, but no coaches to develop them!

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd really dig Johnston in WBS.... :laugh: He's a good coach who understands the game but definitely does not have the ability to coach our situation. We need a big time name/vet coach to handle this issue. Someone who stands up to idiotic management decisions.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I'd really dig Johnston in WBS.... :laugh: He's a good coach who understands the game but definitely does not have the ability to coach our situation. We need a big time name/vet coach to handle this issue. Someone who stands up to idiotic management decisions.

I don't think that coach exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad