Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Hynes will do great and I believe the Pens will regret not making him the Head coach of the Penguins last year!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Didn't he interview Bylsma for that job as well?

I don't think so. I think the only guys he talked to were Boucher at worlds and Hynes, at least that's what was being reported in the Devils' coaching threads. The 'reunion' idea was more media speculation than anything else. And, in his interview with the Fire & Ice guy after he was hired, Shero was politely putting distance between himself and Bylsma.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And honestly, if I was Bylsma, I would have still taken the Sabres job, I mean the NJ Devils are a mess, not a ton of "bright future" type outlook with that team. Sabres on the other hand, just need someone to lay down some roots for a system, Bylsma could possibly do that.

In any case, I am curious how Hynes does. He's used to winning with very little with offensive help.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And honestly, if I was Bylsma, I would have still taken the Sabres job, I mean the NJ Devils are a mess, not a ton of "bright future" type outlook with that team

Yeah, that's a gloomy organization. No fan support, old team, weird financial issues.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I decided to throw a few names together that might be targeted for the AHL head coaching gig. I think it's of high importance not only for player development purposes but also because the possibility always exists that your AHL coach might get promoted mid season if the NHL club flounders, as we've seen twice in 10 years.

DJ Smith:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=23900
Former gritty AHL d-man that earned a few NHL call-ups. Won OHL coach of the year last year and an OHL championship + Memorial Cup this year. Oshawa looks to play a rugged, heavy game and led the league in goals against. Is only 38 years old and looks like Chris Penn.

Derek Lalonde:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78967
Current coach of Toledo in ECHL, with a 74% winning percentage in his first season. Former GM/coach of Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL, winning a league championship + coach of the year in 2012. Has coached team USA's U19 team to a gold medal. Also an assistant for several NCAA teams. 41.

Eric Veilleux:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5555
Current AHL assistant in Norfolk but also a long time QMJHL head coach. Reached the Q finals in '09, '13 and '14 but never won. Q coach of the year in 2014. His team's GAA was consistently amongst the lowest in the league. Former AHL forward that won the Calder Cup under Bob Hartley. 43.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I really like Kris Knoblauch, coach of Erie and also won in the WHL as a rookie head coach with little in the way of superstar junior talent, sweeping a Saskatoon team coached by Lorne Molleken with 56 wins in the process - then beating Mike Johnston's Winterhawks in the Final. Only 36, but he's been earmarked for some time.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I really like Kris Knoblauch, coach of Erie and also won in the WHL as a rookie head coach with little in the way of superstar junior talent, sweeping a Saskatoon team coached by Lorne Molleken with 56 wins in the process - then beating Mike Johnston's Winterhawks in the Final. Only 36, but he's been earmarked for some time.
He's probably a good candidate as well. How come he only coached there 2 years?

Is there a list of guys that the team is interested in?
Not that I know of.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think it was some contractual thing, a Canadian University tried to poach him and he met with them without permission or something, so Kootenay let him go. I'll look it up when I'm not posting on my phone.

ADD: Here;

When this season ended, Knoblauch had one year left on his contract. Earlier this month, Chynoweth, convinced that his head coach was staying put, gave him a one-year extension through 2013-14.
At that time, Chynoweth said he knew Knoblauch was interested in returning to the U of A. At the same time, Chynoweth said he didn't know if he could wait until after May 15 to find out whether his coach was leaving.
When Chynoweth confirmed Friday morning that Knoblauch was pursuing the Golden Bears job, Chynoweth felt he had no choice but to relieve Knoblauch of his duties.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...noblauch-interest-cis-coaching-224957745.html

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Proceeding with the search for Hynes’ replacement with their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre. Rutherford said the Penguins have compiled a list of candidates and could begin interviews late next week. He might well have to find a new assistant coach for the Baby Penguins, too, because New Jersey has asked permission to interview Alain Nasreddine.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2015/06/06/Rutherford-Business-as-usual-for-Penguins-even-with-possible-sale/stories/201506050321

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jay McKee is also with Knoblauch in Erie as an assistant. Them coming to WBS wouldn't be bad at all.

I like him or Lalonde or Smith.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Weird that Knoblauch wanted to go from the WHL to the CIS, which is basically a demotion.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm kinda torn between those four (Knoblauch, Smith, Lalonde & Veilleux). They all seem about equal. Some are more experienced than others but the two least experienced (Smith & Knoblauch) have had the most success (in terms of championships). I think though I like Veilleux because he has the most head coaching experience and he's already an AHL assistant so he's familiar with the league and has less distance to travel to go to HC. It probably won't be any of them.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Has anyone Heard anything about Butterbeer? This article just mentions GMJR 'and his staff'. I thought the Baby Pens were more or less his to run. IIRC, someone had said his contract was up this year, but I haven't been able to find anything about it ... anyone know if this is true?

There was a rumor that one of the hydra would be 'exploring other options' and I thought at the time he was the most likely one ... if nothing else to put some distance between himself and the clown show for the sake of his reputation. Anyone think Butterbean will decide to join Shero in NJ?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure why Botterill would move to NJ to be Shero's assistant for the next 10 years. At least here, he has a very high chance to become the GM in a couple years.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I doubt Botterill goes anywhere to be an assistant, he's pretty set up here in Pittsburgh, he got a promotion and is behind what is considered a stop gap GM, the Penguins wanted to make a change and probably thought he didn't have enough experience (don't laugh :laugh: ) to take over the team.

He was promoted to associate GM, and I can't see Jim Rutherford being here long, maybe one or two more years at best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Guerin go to New Jersey, when he was hired here, he said the first person he called was Ray Shero because if it wasn't for him, he wouldn't be here. Also, Bill Guerin was drafted by Lou and the Devils and they also run an old boys club. So someone like Guerin who has connections with Shero and the Devils, it's easy to assume he'll go there.

Maybe Tom Fitzgerald ends up in Boston under Sweeney at some point, I think Botterill should have a chance to hire his own staff here.

Anyways, about the Wilkes Barre coaching search, I didn't know what happened to the guy until I did a google search on him, Mark French had success with the Hershey Bears a few years ago, he's now the head coach of the Calgary Hitmen, the Bears teams he was the coach of were stacked, but to be a CHL and AHL head coach, you must know a thing or two about player development.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Anyways, about the Wilkes Barre coaching search, I didn't know what happened to the guy until I did a google search on him, Mark French had success with the Hershey Bears a few years ago, he's now the head coach of the Calgary Hitmen, the Bears teams he was the coach of were stacked, but to be a CHL and AHL head coach, you must know a thing or two about player development.

He apparently coached in the KHL too, although the team was almost entirely North American. Good record there and in the WHL.

penguins2946*

It sounds like Todd Nelson (Oilers AHL coach and interim NHL coach last year) will be WBS's new HC. In all honesty, I think that's an upgrade over Hynes. Nelson is a great coach, he's definitely a NHL caliber coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad