Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I just want to see what pick they're giving us :laugh:

You don't say! :laugh:

With the staff we've given'em, here's hopin' for some serious leniency from their part. We get to pick which year & this **** doesn't end up on a NHL (we ****ed it up but we can make ammends!) trial.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
“Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has proven to be a great training ground for future NHL coaches,†said Botterill. “We expect a great deal of interest in the head coaching vacancy with the Penguins, from both internal and external candidates.â€

I think Botterill will be more involved with this search than Rutherford. I think he is our next GM.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hopefully but i always JR was the transition GM that led to him anyway.

Yeah I always thought so too, until the speculation about him not being happy (according to DK) and Guerin always being seen with Rutherford.

Technically, Botterill was promoted along with Rutherford so the Penguins clearly see him as the guy next in line. He's still really young, only 39 years old. Maybe the Pens didn't want to hand the team over to a 38 year old with no experience? Seems about right, let him work with and shadow Shero and now Rutherford.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Botterill will be more involved with this search than Rutherford. I think he is our next GM.

The AGM tends to be the main GM of the AHL affiliate anyway. So yeah, Botterill will have a large say in who is hired.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really have the warmest fuzziest feelings about any of these guys taking over the reigns, including Botterill but the guy has plenty of experience, already... young as he is. He basically GMed the Baby Pens for all of Shero's tenure, right?

It reminds me a bit of the hilarity of Sutter "teaching" Malkin to start last year. What in the actual **** is one of the clowniest GMs in the last ten years supposed to teach anyone? How to darn socks? Stories of the Gilded Age? Tales of Joe Corvo? If Botterill is the guy... make him the guy. If the team had access to, like... Bowman or the late, great Herb Brooks or something... yeah... maybe I could sorta see it. But this is Jim Rutherford, here. Destroyer Of Canes.

Sorry for the stupid aside. All the best to Hynes. Hope he does well.. but not too well. Would have much rather kept him instead of the pick but obviously that wasn't in the cards.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yeah I always thought so too, until the speculation about him not being happy (according to DK) and Guerin always being seen with Rutherford.

Technically, Botterill was promoted along with Rutherford so the Penguins clearly see him as the guy next in line. He's still really young, only 39 years old. Maybe the Pens didn't want to hand the team over to a 38 year old with no experience? Seems about right, let him work with and shadow Shero and now Rutherford.

Sure makes sense to me! I don't think this guy had anything to do with the bad decisions anyway, gut feeling based on the little facts that slipped trough the PR machine.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Botterill wasn't behind the Despres trade, and warned Rutherford about cap issues prior to the 5 d-men debacle, that's all good. Why the *Associate* GM didn't have the ability to nix the Despres trade or do more than just warn Rutherford about the cap issues is concerning, though.

If Rutherford didn't want to trade Despres, and Botterill didn't either, who the **** did and why did their opinion outweigh everyone else's?

Maybe they let Guerin work his own trade at the deadline to see how he could handle it. Seems like a pretty harsh lesson, though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wonder if JR uses one of those thirds to move up in the 2nd or acquire a 3rd this year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly not sure why he didn't get the Penguins' gig last year if they were going to go with a Junior guy.... I feel like this is a big blow to the organization.

Seems like it right? You have several guys from within going on and becoming NHL head coaches and the team has the next one in the AHL developing and they hire a guy from the WHL of all places and now Hynes' off to NJ.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Botterill wasn't behind the Despres trade, and warned Rutherford about cap issues prior to the 5 d-men debacle, that's all good. Why the *Associate* GM didn't have the ability to nix the Despres trade or do more than just warn Rutherford about the cap issues is concerning, though.

If Rutherford didn't want to trade Despres, and Botterill didn't either, who the **** did and why did their opinion outweigh everyone else's?

Maybe they let Guerin work his own trade at the deadline to see how he could handle it. Seems like a pretty harsh lesson, though.

Yeah. It's all very confusing, haha.

All I know is I'd still feel more comfortable with botterill than guerin at the reigns if it came to that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

See this is where I am confused as well, we all get the sense that Rutherford really didn't have much say in the Despres trade, then there are the reports/rumors about the Botterill warning the team about Spaling and the cap implications as well as the Despres trade...

For me, I have always thought Morehouse has "his guys" and they're Guerin and likely Fitzgerald and they make the moves that they feel is necessary to veto Botterill and JR.

It makes more sense knowing the Shero wanting the final say thing.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Baby Penguins assistant coach Alain Nasreddine has had an effective partnership with Hynes and seems a logical candidate to join him in New Jersey, although Rutherford said he and Devils GM Ray Shero have not discussed Nasreddine.

He acknowledged, though, that Hynes and Nasreddine have an obvious coaching chemistry.

“They’ve worked well together,†he said. “There’s no question.â€

Do you guys think GMJR would ask for small compensation for Alain Nasreddine?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I strongly dislike the rising trend of management by committee in the NHL, especially when the management structure is used to absolve each particular person of accountability. How is it that our GM and Assistant GM have both gone on the record saying they didn't approve of a trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad