Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hynes may not last past this season, but the paradigm of hiring a new coach every 3 years seems very bad.

The bye week is going to determine a lot. Are the Devils going to change up how they play when they come out of it?
But it is true in all Pro sports. The long-term coach is the anomaly. I think the lesson in it is that continuity doesn't come from behind the bench, it comes from the front office. The coach is just a facilitator of the organizational philosophy. As soon as that coach can't facilitate that philosophy a new voice is needed

NFL head coaches have good job security when compared to other major sports leagues

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You think they fire him this offseason after extending him midseason? I see no chance of that.

But I agree the stability is a positive. Now, however long that extension was(not sure if it was ever made public) it might not allow him another bad year next season. Though I'm OK with giving him next season to right the ship.

It's a very distinct possibility. Once they extend Shero and don't extend Hynes, Hynes is then coaching for his job and knows it. That's not a great position to put a coach in, so they also extended Hynes. Obviously being an NHL head coach is never really a stable job, but I think giving Hynes an extension lets him do his job without him worrying about what Shero wants him to do. Still, I'd be surprised if we saw the same exact assistant coaching staff back unless something significantly improves between now and the end of the season - Hynes may stay, but some of the assistants may go.

Friedman reported that Hynes's new contract is a 2 year extension.

Reactions: R8NJ

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If we had the people that constantly talk about "structure" and "the system" hop up on a white board right now and explain themselves they would have no idea what to do.
Yeah most people on this board didn’t grow up playing hockey and obsessively following one of the best system teams of all-time. We are clueless when it comes to identifying when a team looks structured or unstructured.

No one is claiming to be a professional coach but we’re not unknowledgeable fans either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But it is true in all Pro sports. The long-term coach is the anomaly. I think the lesson in it is that continuity doesn't come from behind the bench, it comes from the front office. The coach is just a facilitator of the organizational philosophy. As soon as that coach can't facilitate that philosophy a new voice is needed

NFL head coaches have good job security when compared to other major sports leagues

The lesson is that general managers consistently overrate their own ability relative to the coach's ability, and once the team hits a bad streak they figure the problem must be the coach. Midseason coaching changes in the NHL have almost no effect on the standings.

The goal should be to hire a coach who can last for a long time, not because the team is good for that whole time, but because the coach is evaluated to be good regardless of the team's quality.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's a very distinct possibility. Once they extend Shero and don't extend Hynes, Hynes is then coaching for his job and knows it. That's not a great position to put a coach in, so they also extended Hynes. Obviously being an NHL head coach is never really a stable job, but I think giving Hynes an extension lets him do his job without him worrying about what Shero wants him to do. Still, I'd be surprised if we saw the same exact assistant coaching staff back unless something significantly improves between now and the end of the season - Hynes may stay, but some of the assistants may go.

Friedman reported that Hynes's new contract is a 2 year extension.
Highly unlikely that Hynes is fired this offseason. I don't really think it is a consideration.

Kowalsky or Nas? Maybe.

Nas is an interesting in that our PK is good, but our 5v5 d is questionable. Though you do have to consider personnel.

I think Nas is also interesting in that I wonder who's scheme it is to have defenders chasing opposition fwds up the circles. Is that Nas or Hynes?

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If we had the people that constantly talk about "structure" and "the system" hop up on a white board right now and explain themselves they would have no idea what to do.
I can diagram a simple house defense for you if you like?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Agree, but for us, the D-men chasing fwd's up along the boards towards the blue line is a pretty clear system thing. And I do wonder about it's effectiveness.
Not only the D chasing high, ....count how many times both D are in the same corner and literally no one is covering the front of the net.

Not only, that count how many times you see all 5 defenders on one side of the ice or angling toward one side of the ice .

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Not only the D chasing high, ....count how many times both D are in the same corner and literally no one is covering the front of the net.

Not only, that count how many times you see all 5 defenders on one side of the ice or angling toward one side of the ice .

yeah but can you explain it on a whiteboard?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

No one covering the middle I'd say is a structural break down, not by design.

Which is an attention to detail matter. I think the complication of the system where fwd's are covering for D-men who are up high, is more prone to break downs, but still I see this as a breakdown not purely a schematic issue.

2 D in the corner(or below the goal line)? I don't find that to be too crazy, obviously the center does need to cover, but I imagine you'll see every team in the league doing the same thing at times. But the D up high? Are other teams doing that?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No one covering the middle I'd say is a structural break down, not by design.

Which is an attention to detail matter. I think the complication of the system where fwd's are covering for D-men who are up high, is more prone to break downs, but still I see this as a breakdown not purely a schematic issue.

2 D in the corner(or below the goal line)? I don't find that to be too crazy, obviously the center does need to cover, but I imagine you'll see every team in the league doing the same thing at times. But the D up high? Are other teams doing that?
I don't think it is a breakdown...I think it is by design.

I believe this is exactly what they are doing..."Half ice overload" Edit:--- I can't take credit for recognizing this @Richer's Ghost pointed it out a year or two ago.

Getting To Know Jeff Blashill's System - Defensive Zone Coverage

As opposed to a more traditional box or house defense

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it is a breakdown...I think it is by design.

I believe this is exactly what they are doing..."Half ice overload"

Getting To Know Jeff Blashill's System - Defensive Zone Coverage

As opposed to a more traditional box or house defense

From that piece...

As with all systems, there is a downside to the system. If the support/net-front presence isn't good enough, there's the possibility of giving up a one-timer in the slot. Additionally, if the puck is moved to the point and the wingers are late in getting out to the defensemen, it can be a tough screened shot for the goaltender to stop.

Sounds familiar...

Reactions: Oneiro and Aethon

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well in the guys diagram they do leave the middle open, but in the real world example you see the Wings do rotate guys through. The slot is covered pretty well.
But it's dynamic...it is fluid and constantly moving with shifting responsibilities as opposed to general areas of coverage... Just common sense would tell you that this requires and extra level of hockey sense and a stronger ability to read the play...

My instinct is this is not something you want to do with a majority of young inexperienced players?
It seems ripe for mistakes and missed assignments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But it's dynamic...it is fluent and constantly moving with shifting responsibilities as opposed to general areas of coverage... Just common sense would tell you that this requires and extra level of hockey sense and a stronger ability to read the play...

My instinct is this is not something you want to do with a majority of young inexperienced players?
It seems ripe for mistakes and missed assignments.
I won't disagree with any of this.

But I think this is the direction the entire league has gone, more aggressive, less willing to sit back.

I'd like to see what the Isles have been up to this year. Or better yet a comparison last year to this year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's a high risk/reward system that's been more risk than reward this season. I don't know if it's because we don't have the personnel to execute it or just that we haven't executed it well. It probably doesn't help wondering whether or not you're going to get a save, which in turn probably leads to players trying to do too much (how many own goals have we had this year where a defender was doing something stupid?). It's all become a big mess that I'm not sure how to get out of, short of going full 2015-16 turtle mode. And even then we had Cory before his fall from grace.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

But I think this is the direction the entire league has gone, more aggressive, less willing to sit back.

I'd like to see what the Isles have been up to this year. Or better yet a comparison last year to this year.
Who would want to sit through film of the Islanders last year :laugh:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Agree. IMO it is good to try this type of system in a year that is not about wins and losses. The Devils can always switch back to a more traditional system.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agree. IMO it is good to try this type of system in a year that is not about wins and losses. The Devils can always switch back to a more traditional system.
Are we playing much differently though from last year? Are we more aggressive chasing guys high?

In theory I don't much like the idea of d-men going high in coverage, but last year no one, including myself, was complaining about it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think system wise we're playing much differently than last year, we're just not executing as well. And we haven't gotten the goaltending we got last year. While Cory has been awful in 2018, he was pretty good up until then (he posted prime Cory numbers in November/December), and then Kinkaid stepped up down the stretch (he was red hot the last 15 games, winning 11 of them). This year we haven't gotten that kind of consistent goaltending really up until Blackwood's hot streak. As much shit as the defense gets (not saying it's completely undeserved of course) it's hard to get any momentum going with sub .900 goaltending.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Watch goal #3 from yesterday for another glorious breakdown.

I have no idea what MoJo is doing on this play. He should be skating towards the circle onto his man and Santini should slide low but he decides to loop around him and leave the forward wide open in the slot.

devils1.PNG

devils 2.PNG

devils 3.PNG

Reactions: Aethon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad