Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Watch goal #3 from yesterday for another glorious breakdown.

I have no idea what MoJo is doing on this play. He should be skating towards the circle onto his man and Santini should slide low but he decides to loop around him and leave the forward wide open in the slot.

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177913

View attachment 177915
He looks like he was trying to get to the boards to double team the puck carrier. Someone's gotta tell them that "supportive" doesn't mean "Everyone rush to the puck carrier like in peewees, leaving everyone else open".

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He looks like he was trying to get to the boards to double team the puck carrier. Someone's gotta tell them that "supportive" doesn't mean "Everyone rush to the puck carrier like in peewees, leaving everyone else open".

That someone needs to be Hynes, and I am not sure if he believes that is what supportive means.

Highly unlikely that Hynes is fired this offseason. I don't really think it is a consideration.

Kowalsky or Nas? Maybe.

Nas is an interesting in that our PK is good, but our 5v5 d is questionable. Though you do have to consider personnel.

I think Nas is also interesting in that I wonder who's scheme it is to have defenders chasing opposition fwds up the circles. Is that Nas or Hynes?

There is a non-zero chance Hynes is tossed, but I do agree the odds are quite low.

I also believe he isnt going to have too long a leash going into next season.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't think any of our players have defensive responsibilities, they kinda just do whatever they want

Reactions: haak84

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Watch goal #3 from yesterday for another glorious breakdown.

I have no idea what MoJo is doing on this play. He should be skating towards the circle onto his man and Santini should slide low but he decides to loop around him and leave the forward wide open in the slot.

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177913

View attachment 177915
He recognized it too late...You can tell in the 3rd frame he is making the attempt to turn up ice to his man. It looks like he got fixated on #49 behind the net...The thing is though...From these 3 frames you can't tell if Johansson was in that original position(frame 1) because he was covering for Santini or not...

In the first frame Santini is stopping, that tells me that he is just getting back to that position.

IF Santini was coming back from the half wall and Johansson was covering his post in the meantime he might've expected Santini to pick up that high man...Tough to tell...But if the Defender didn't have to get back to his D position in the first place, there would be no problem = -1 for the system.

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
He recognized it too late...You can tell in the 3rd frame he is making the attempt to turn up ice to his man. It looks like he got fixated on #49 behind the net...The thing is though...From these 3 frames you can't tell if Johansson was in that original position(frame 1) because he was covering for Santini or not...

In the first frame Santini is stopping, that tells me that he is just getting back to that position.

IF Santini was coming back from the half wall and Johansson was covering his post in the meantime he might've expected Santini to pick up that high man...Tough to tell...But if the Defender didn't have to get back to his D position in the first place, there would be no problem = -1 for the system.

If you watch the film, Santini is one of the last men back.

There just seems to be a general confusion of who needs to be where.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like this board flip flops on Hynes too much depending on our record.

Personally, I don't think he's really done that good of a job here, and I also don't think he's doing that much worse of a job now than he did in previous years.

Did he do a good job in 2015-2016? Not anywhere near as good of a job as Cory Schneider did that year.

I thought the best thing he did last year was bench Cory at the end of the year and ride Keith until we clinched a spot.

Reactions: theoptimist

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When Hynes has gotten competent goaltending the results have been there. When he hasn't we've been really bad. Which honestly probably isn't all that different than most coaches. I think the defensive scheme could be adjusted to help out the goalies, although my knowledge of coaching isn't much deeper than most on this board, so I have no idea how you'd adjust it. I don't think you can just say "play the way we used to" because I don't think low event hockey works as much anymore. Short of going into a full conservative shell I'm not sure how much you can cover for bad goaltending. And I don't care how many chances we give up, our goalies being this bad isn't ALL on the system.

I would like to see an upgrade on Nasredinne at least. I'm not really a fan of how he seems to be teaching our defensemen. There are just too many basic things they struggle with. Although to be fair to both Hynes and Nas, this defense is rather poorly constructed. An upgrade (or even just a better balance) on the back end would at least give them some better options.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I feel like this board flip flops on Hynes too much depending on our record.

Personally, I don't think he's really done that good of a job here, and I also don't think he's doing that much worse of a job now than he did in previous years.

Did he do a good job in 2015-2016? Not anywhere near as good of a job as Cory Schneider did that year.

I thought the best thing he did last year was bench Cory at the end of the year and ride Keith until we clinched a spot.
I give Hynes a lot of credit for 15-16. He had that mediocre team playing hard most nights. I also give him credit for last season with the success of the young kids and having everyone playing for each other.

At the same time I put a lot of blame on him for this season. Defense and goaltending is a sieve and little has been corrected or changed. Its been hit or miss, hopefully that trend continues and it is a hit next season.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Last year we allowed 240 goals in 82 games (2.92 GA/G). This year we've allowed 162 goals in 48 games (3.38GA/G).

We're on pace to allow 277 goals this year, which would be 37 more than last year.

Over a full season that’s significant. It probably correlates with save percentage on some level even if it is a subset stat like save percentage on high danger chances or something. I’d be curious what the coaches think is going on. Shero obviously thinks Hynes is doing enough for now not to change course. Hopefully they add some decent picks at the TDL and Hall doesn’t decide to bail on the franchise.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Is it trade deadline yet? Is it draft day yet? Is it July 1st yet?

This is what this season has become for me.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Slides like the one we had in 2017, Dec / Jan of last year, and the current tailspin are what I blame on Hynes.

Specifically, it's what seems like Hynes' inability / refusal (?) to adapt during these long losing streaks that gets me. If Hynes keeps asking people to perform a certain way and they keep failing, how exactly is that good coaching?

Results can be flukey, but the team should be able to stay focused on the details and to improve (or at least be competitive) in specific areas. Seeing repeated mistakes is a problem. Hynes should be adapting his tactics to the talent available and to their performance level.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Rachel Doerrie's "defense" of Hynes on The Hockey PDOcast (The Hockey PDOcast) was essentially that he's one of the most open-minded hockey people she's ever met. People generally view open-mindedness as a positive attribute, but I'm not one of them in this case. In the rush to be on the cutting edge, I think there's a great deal of mystery about what's truly actionable and demonstrable and what's a false correlation and just throwing shit at the wall.

Let's say you believe "fast, attacking, supportive" is a clear vision. It's not like this is Edmonton where half the roster literally cannot play the style the coach is asking. This is a question of the vision not being translated to the ice properly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rachel Doerrie's "defense" of Hynes on The Hockey PDOcast (The Hockey PDOcast) was essentially that he's one of the most open-minded hockey people she's ever met. People generally view open-mindedness as a positive attribute, but I'm not one of them in this case. In the rush to be on the cutting edge, I think there's a great deal of mystery about what's truly actionable and demonstrable and what's a false correlation and just throwing **** at the wall.

Let's say you believe "fast, attacking, supportive" is a clear vision. It's not like this is Edmonton where half the roster literally cannot play the style the coach is asking. This is a question of the vision not being translated to the ice properly.
I was thinking about this, and as a young coach, who is certainly rolling with the speed game, I do wonder if he is experimenting with different stuff.

Namely the d-man chasing fwd's up high in our own zone.

Now we did do it last year and we had a good season, the goals against were not near the bottom of the league.

So what changed?

Losing John Moore? I'm going to think that is not the key to this.

Are we doing it more often? I don't know if I am just noticing it more now, or if we actually do it more often.

Or, maybe the best theory, teams adjusted, and are now exploiting it.

Another part of this question would be: Do other teams do it? I don't really notice it, but I'm not paying too much attention to what other teams are doing.

Reactions: Oneiro

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I almost wonder if they're not doing it more because of our poor goaltending? I know it sounds counterintuitive given the obvious risks if it isn't executed well, but I wonder if the idea isn't to pressure the opposition more to create more turnovers and prevent getting stuck on long shifts in the defensive zone, and further exposing the goaltending? Or maybe they know the defense/goaltending are weak and we need to outscore our way to wins? There has to be a reason, whether we agree with it or not, for them to keep playing that style of defense.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was thinking about this, and as a young coach, who is certainly rolling with the speed game, I do wonder if he is experimenting with different stuff.

Namely the d-man chasing fwd's up high in our own zone.

Now we did do it last year and we had a good season, the goals against were not near the bottom of the league.

So what changed?

Losing John Moore? I'm going to think that is not the key to this.

Are we doing it more often? I don't know if I am just noticing it more now, or if we actually do it more often.

Or, maybe the best theory, teams adjusted, and are now exploiting it.

Another part of this question would be: Do other teams do it? I don't really notice it, but I'm not paying too much attention to what other teams are doing.
I feel like we're chasing a lot more. I felt we were better when we sat back and let the shots come from the outside. I remember seeing stats that we gave up a lot of shots so our corsi was low, but we were giving up very few high danger shots. We're not doing that this hear.

If our defenders are going to be chasing players high, it's incumbent on our forwards to drop back and pick up anyone coming in low, and they're not doing that well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And that really shows the fluctuation in goal tending #'s despite a singular coach, and I assume coaching systems.

The save % for Trotz in the before-during-after Jack Adams years was the most consistent. And of course he now has the Isles at the top of the league in save %. But Washington was 6th in the league in save % the year before he got there, and his last year in Washington was middle of the pack(though maybe that is more on Holtby as Grabeaur still had good #'s that year).

His last year in Nashville the teams save % was 26th in the league. The year after he left the team save % was 11th.

I think there is something there in terms of Trotz's(or any coaches) effect on save %, but it's definitely not definitive.

San Jose, coached by who I think many consider one of the best systems coaches in the league has the 3rd worst save % in the league. Worse then ours.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Slides like the one we had in 2017, Dec / Jan of last year, and the current tailspin are what I blame on Hynes.

Specifically, it's what seems like Hynes' inability / refusal (?) to adapt during these long losing streaks that gets me. If Hynes keeps asking people to perform a certain way and they keep failing, how exactly is that good coaching?

Results can be flukey, but the team should be able to stay focused on the details and to improve (or at least be competitive) in specific areas. Seeing repeated mistakes is a problem. Hynes should be adapting his tactics to the talent available and to their performance level.
I don't blame him for the slide in December/January, mostly because we weren't really as good as we were around Christmas. It's like I say about Blackwood or Bratt or Palmieri this year after that hot start with over a goal per game, those were the odds evening out and regressing us down to the mean of what we really were then. We probably finished right where we should have, but in most years that would be enough to make the playoffs by more than just one point.

Our PDO was ridiculous around Christmas of last year when we were first in the Metro. Our team save percentage was WAYYYY higher than what it ended up being in the end and our team shooting percentage was also way higher than what it ended up being in the end. We were right around league average shooting percentage once the season ended, which was like 9.2% or something. We were shooting at over 10.5% around Christmas, or maybe even higher than that. We were at like 11% or more around Thanksgiving of 2017.

And anyone here that remembers, I also did not give him much credit, if any at all for when we were doing so great until Christmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->