Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Maybe I'm viewing this through Devils-tinted glasses, but to me, there are issues with this team that are larger and more immediate than the head coach. We are still rebuilding and I would like to see the young players come up with an environment of consistency. Additionally, Hynes has a proven track record working with young players, and nearly all of the youth on the team have been developing nicely. Our roster is not in a position to be focused on outcome over process. By the team this team is in position to make a deep playoff run, maybe Hynes will be coach, maybe not...but for the time being, I don't want to rock the boat too much when it comes to the relationships he has with players - especially guys like Hall and the young ones. No comment on the actual systems he runs, because it seems that he was brought in as a development-heavy coach.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe I'm viewing this through Devils-tinted glasses, but to me, there are issues with this team that are larger and more immediate than the head coach. We are still rebuilding and I would like to see the young players come up with an environment of consistency. Additionally, Hynes has a proven track record working with young players, and nearly all of the youth on the team have been developing nicely. Our roster is not in a position to be focused on outcome over process. By the team this team is in position to make a deep playoff run, maybe Hynes will be coach, maybe not...but for the time being, I don't want to rock the boat too much when it comes to the relationships he has with players - especially guys like Hall and the young ones. No comment on the actual systems he runs, because it seems that he was brought in as a development-heavy coach.

He definitely is the opposite of a Pete type coach brought in to run a system with a ready made team, as opposed to developing players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s funny that he got close to zero credit for bringing a team that everyone saw finishing dead last in the East, in the playoffs last year... and now he’s getting most of the blame for our mediocre season.

Hynes absolutely got credit last year. Maybe not from everyone but certainly people were in his corner for the most part heading into camp this year. But what's happened this year has been so frighteningly bad and without structure it's alarming and I can't blame anyone for jumping off that bandwagon. There are absolutely things that can be fixed with a better coach and system.

Sure there are 'other' issues with the team besides coaching but as the Isles are proving this year, sometimes you need to start with a good coach to lay the foundation and go from there.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
He definitely is the opposite of a Pete type coach brought in to run a system with a ready made team, as opposed to developing players.

I think this is what's resonating with me the most about Hynes, and I'm trying not to be biased in one way or another. I'm not implying that one is better than the other overall, but for the point our organization is in its rebuild, I'm happy with Hynes behind the bench.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think this is what's resonating with me the most about Hynes, and I'm trying not to be biased in one way or another. I'm not implying that one is better than the other overall, but for the point our organization is in its rebuild, I'm happy with Hynes behind the bench.

I think the issue is people want a guy who can do both. Someone like Trotz.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Hall extends it seems to me that like it or not his relationship with Hynes will play some role in it. Doesn’t mean Hynes is the long term answer but if he is the tiebreaker between Hall leaving and staying he is worth his extension.

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hynes absolutely got credit last year. Maybe not from everyone but certainly people were in his corner for the most part heading into camp this year. But what's happened this year has been so frighteningly bad and without structure it's alarming and I can't blame anyone for jumping off that bandwagon. There are absolutely things that can be fixed with a better coach and system.

Sure there are 'other' issues with the team besides coaching but as the Isles are proving this year, sometimes you need to start with a good coach to lay the foundation and go from there.

Isles might not be the best example as this could simply be a honeymoon period where he has everyone buying in. Very similar to what Hynes got from the team last year actually. Everyone bought in.

Bigger test for a coach is getting a mediocre team to buy in the following year. Hynes doesn’t seem to be getting that as much this year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Hynes was 6th in Jack Adams award voting last year. He absolutely got credit last year for the success of the team, and therefore should get his fair share of blame for how much the team lacks structure this year.

Reactions: Bleedred

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The goaltending has been nearly the worst in the league. I can’t really hang that on Hynes.

The defensive unit is also weak, but I have a hard time believing he is getting the best out of what he has there. They play so loose and without rhyme or reason.

There is more then enough talent to run a competent PP. That falls all on him and the staff.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes was 6th in Jack Adams award voting last year. He absolutely got credit last year for the success of the team, and therefore should get his fair share of blame for how much the team lacks structure this year.
That's the point I'm trying to make.

If you're gonna give him credit for last year, you absolutely have to criticize him for this year. This is also the second such season that we've had like this under him. And I acknowledge they weren't the best rosters. Especially not the 16-17 team.

I think the roster and lineups we've had the last several weeks have been the weakest we've had all season, but got some Blackwood manufactured wins.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's the point I'm trying to make.

If you're gonna give him credit for last year, you absolutely have to criticize him for this year. This is also the second such season that we've had like this under him. And I acknowledge they weren't the best rosters. Especially not the 16-17 team.

I think the roster and lineups we've had the last several weeks have been the weakest we've had all season, but got some Blackwood manufactured wins.

That's the other thing, they haven't been able to sustain effort level for more than a season under Hynes. Great effort in his first year, a sloth of a team in his second, great effort last year, a team that's at least completely disinterested on the road and not giving the same type of effort this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing we also need to think about when firing Hynes, we have to make sure we're upgrading.

So many teams have fired bad coaches only to replace them with coaches just as bad or even worse.

The Kings went from John Stevens to Willie Desjardins (he's actually another currently tenured head coach worse than Hynes, who I forgot about).

The Blues went from Mike Yeo (he's really not good) to Craig Berube. He sucked in Philly and he's not good in St. Louis, but it was really the goaltending that Yeo fired more than anything. The Oilers went from McLellan to Hitchcock (that's an upgrade). The Hawks went from Quenneville (it was probably time to go for him) to some dude that's younger than probably half their roster. I'm not gonna count Hakstol for Gordon, because we all know that was a tank commander move, despite Hakstol being terrible to begin with.

And speaking of Berube, Hakstol replaced him, though I know we're going several years back now.

Tippett (BAD coach) was replaced with Tocchet (even worse). The Panthers fired Gallant, then hired Mr. Magoo, who wasn't even an AHL-level head coach. Too many bad coaches often times get replaced with guys who are just as bad, if not even worse behind the bench. Disco Dan was fired for Fail Housley (that one was for @sabremike)

For every Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson or Barry Trotz, there's always even more Willie Desjardin's, Scott Gordon's (bad example, I know), Rick Tocchet's and Phil Housley's, Kevin Constantine's or the N. Bench.

Reactions: sabremike

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, if this happens next year, as long as Hall is locked up (I think he'll be traded if he's not), it doesn't matter if the goalie tandem is Alex Stalock and Kelly Hrudey, Hynes is probably gone. If the no-shows, blowouts, soft goals, inability to score on the PP, getting creamed by every single high octane team and some that are peashooters, then Hynes probably goes.

That will be 3 of 4 years that happens. Even the unfair misfortune of having 57 year old Kelly Hrudey as one of his goalies won't save Hynes at that point.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Preach. You know better than anyone that the teams that are good today are that way because of the hard work that their scouts did 4 plus years ago.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
It’s funny that he got close to zero credit for bringing a team that everyone saw finishing dead last in the East, in the playoffs last year... and now he’s getting most of the blame for our mediocre season.
i think hynes got a lot of credit for the way they played last season

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Last year: fast, attacking, supportive

This year: soft, lazy, uninvolved

But he hasn’t lost the room

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Why are you happy with him lol?

he has shown zero ability to adjust, his handling of players is just mind blowingly foolish at times, and his system is not working, especially the way too complicated hybrid zone / man defensive system he insists on having this team play, that even confuses the hell out of the smartest players on this team.

I do not want this dumb f*** coaching Smith, Walsh or Davies and ruining them with his garbage stubborness and shit system.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Apologies for the bump, but I want this here for historical purposes when we look back in 2020.

I can't blame Hynes for giving the kids an opportunity to shine.

9:32 TOI and 45 seconds of PP time. Good opportunity for a 1st game.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I can't blame Hynes for giving the kids an opportunity to shine.

9:32 TOI and 45 seconds of PP time. Good opportunity for a 1st game.
To be honest, Bastian played solidly enough that I feel he earned that PP time at the end of the game. It took them like what three years to give Zacha a chance on the power play for more than a trial run if memory serves.

That all being said, Coleman deserves powerplay time instead of Boyle in terms of guys who can screen goalies and get a little feisty with the defenseman in front. He's shifty enough and tough enough to stay in front and get a stick on rebounds/redirects. Boyle only does one of these things.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah... giving the kids opportunity to shine doesn't really explain the lack of opportunity for Coleman.

I would think he could be very effective down low on the PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad