Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And that really shows the fluctuation in goal tending #'s despite a singular coach, and I assume coaching systems.

The save % for Trotz in the before-during-after Jack Adams years was the most consistent. And of course he now has the Isles at the top of the league in save %. But Washington was 6th in the league in save % the year before he got there, and his last year in Washington was middle of the pack(though maybe that is more on Holtby as Grabeaur still had good #'s that year).

His last year in Nashville the teams save % was 26th in the league. The year after he left the team save % was 11th.

I think there is something there in terms of Trotz's(or any coaches) effect on save %, but it's definitely not definitive.

San Jose, coached by who I think many consider one of the best systems coaches in the league has the 3rd worst save % in the league. Worse then ours.
Trotz's last two years in Nashville were two of the three years where Rinne had some poor years before his resurgence. Holtby's poor numbers have continued into this year also.

Grubauer has a very poor save percentage this year, but like a guy Koskinen, who should probably be at .895% and not .910% like he is, I think it's the other way around for Grubauer. He looks better on my eyes than his numbers this year, so I don't expect this to continue past this year for Grubauer and it might even turn around for him after the break.

One other interesting thing. Trotz took over in Washington the year after Holtby had a very average season (his worst before last year) and I think Mitch Korn came over with him from Nashville. Caps fans were critical of Oates for trying to personally change Holtby's style of play that year. When Trotz and Korn came in, Holtby started playing well again, but I believe Korn wasn't the full time goalie coach in Washington last year when Holtby had his first down year? I thought he was still working there, but not full time anymore? Much like Jacques Caron over here in the last decade.

I believe Korn came over to the Islanders with Trotz also, but I'm not sure if it's in that ''Special assignment'' role or a full time role.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It would be nice to see some cycling again when in the offensive zone, something I can't ever remember being part of a Hynes system. I guess it makes sense that an "attacking" type system wouldn't incorporate such a play and is sometimes why this team has 3 forwards below the goal line or on the same side of the ice. That could very well be part on the players too for wandering around in spots they shouldn't be, but either way, too often is the offensive zone a hodge podge.

Another situation we see in the offensive zone as well, is the defensemen not having much room to work with. They tend to get pinned along the blue line from opposing forwards pressuring. A cycle could draw some of that pressure down low instead and give the defensemen more room to work with when the puck is thrown to them.

When the team has players like Boyle, Wood, Coleman, Seney, Bratt, Nico, and Zajac who are all strong along the boards, for the most part good with puck control, and the team speed overall is there which would make a cycle more effective, I don't think it would be the worst idea to give it a try, see how it works.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don't blame him for the slide in December/January, mostly because we weren't really as good as we were around Christmas. It's like I say about Blackwood or Bratt or Palmieri this year after that hot start with over a goal per game, those were the odds evening out and regressing us down to the mean of what we really were then. We probably finished right where we should have, but in most years that would be enough to make the playoffs by more than just one point.

Our PDO was ridiculous around Christmas of last year when we were first in the Metro. Our team save percentage was WAYYYY higher than what it ended up being in the end and our team shooting percentage was also way higher than what it ended up being in the end. We were right around league average shooting percentage once the season ended, which was like 9.2% or something. We were shooting at over 10.5% around Christmas, or maybe even higher than that. We were at like 11% or more around Thanksgiving of 2017.

And anyone here that remembers, I also did not give him much credit, if any at all for when we were doing so great until Christmas.

He refused to fix a PP that couldn't figure out how to score, and score timely goals, not when the team was already out of it, like that Philly game that started that tail spin, where it went 2/5, but the two goals on it were when the team was already out and lost.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder how close he is to threatening Shero that he's gonna play dinosaur vs caveman hockey every night until he finally ices a cap team?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wonder how close he is to threatening Shero that he's gonna play dinosaur vs caveman hockey every night until he finally ices a cap team?

Nah. Hynes is a company guy and will be loyal to Shero. He will just tell Shero they are young and their best players not named Hall are all kids or bottom six guys but they are headed in the right direction. Shero will agree and go back to his office to pray that MarJo Lovejoy and maybe Boyle are healthy at the TDL.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
It’s beyond evident that nobody on our roster wants to play for this clown. Guys are floating, constantly out of position, taking dumb penalties, the list goes on.

Look st the rangers. Talent wise, they’re just as bad as us. But their fans know they try night in night out. They play for their coach.

It’s evident our guys don’t.

The self starter thing is such crap. It’s axtualky f***ing Pejorative Slured, and probably one of the worst philosophies I’ve ever heard by a head coach.

The team sucks, but Hynes has not a clue what he’s doing out there. If he’s behind the bench next year expect the same

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean you see it elsewhere. When a meh roster buys in, they can go further then expected. Hell we did it last year.

It’s just amazing how they went from being all in last season to all out right now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I still see it as an Xs and Os thing. Last year Plan A worked and teams have caught on. This staff has yet to adjust properly and give them a Plan B. I don’t think the players have quit so much as they don’t know what to do because tbe current strategy isn’t working and they aren’t given alternatives.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Might as well keep Hynes through next year since he's only good in even years, then fire him before the next odd year letdown :P

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The system is too damn complicated. And, of course, that is all on Hynes.

Take the (i think 2nd Taffolli goal) 3rd LA goal tonight from game. Mueller was up high, Butcher and a forward covered the same man, I think it was really Butchers guy to cover the forward. Someone messed up and basically Mueller was expecting someone else to be in the "right position" and they weren't, and he looked like at first he was missing his man, but if you look at the play, one of the two on other other side had double played their coverage.

No one realized it (maybe except Mueller), but he was already behind the play or assuming someone else would be commited to that man.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
It’s beyond evident that nobody on our roster wants to play for this clown. Guys are floating, constantly out of position, taking dumb penalties, the list goes on.

Look st the rangers. Talent wise, they’re just as bad as us. But their fans know they try night in night out. They play for their coach.

The self starter thing is such crap. It’s axtualky ****ing ******ed, and probably one of the worst philosophies I’ve ever heard by a head coach.

The team sucks, but Hynes has not a clue what he’s doing out there. If he’s behind the bench next year expect the same

You do realize he got extended right? He will be behind the bench. Team lost it's best player, lost players during the offseaon that were never replaced. Add to it that many are having below avg seasons and you run into issues. We barely have an nhl defense, and still wonder why our goalies look bad. Cant fault the coach for not having the talent.

Big offseason coming up... expect lots of moves/signings.

Now if we add more.talent next year, and we still play like this, then that will be on hynes..

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Who would have thought the Islanders would be playing where they are now, vs. where we are?

Given their roster at beginning of season too. We are going the wrong way..... and the system isn't making it easier, its actually amplifying the struggles even moreso. If Hynes doesn't go something needs to change. His assistants, I don't know. Someone needs to talk sense into the guy that his system isn't working the way it is theoretically supposed to on paper.

It is not just roster talent gap, its system failure due to inability to handle complex unexpected opposition movements in the game. There's no answer for that.

Reactions: Aethon

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
if you’re the opposing coach you basically plan a cycle and a bunch of criss-crosses and you can possess the puck and hem us in until our system breaks down and you get a scoring chance. happens way too often no matter who we play

Reactions: mtnet

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
if you’re the opposing coach you basically plan a cycle and a bunch of criss-crosses and you can possess the puck and hem us in until our system breaks down and you get a scoring chance. happens way too often no matter who we play

Yes this is basically what happens, no joke. The man-coverage breaks down and someone loses their man and there is an easy front door goal or cross-slot/crease pass to open man because someone has messed up (or two players cover same man briefly by accident). How many of those plays have we witnessed this season alone. It's overwhelming.

Reactions: mtnet

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

They really do get crossed up on coverage easily and all too often in our zone

It's been obvious most of this year that the staff needs to simplify the structure, but the team is being forced into executing some ill conceived bs...I can't even dignify it by using the word system

It's all sizzle and no steak

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

The self starter thing is such crap. It’s axtualky ****ing ******ed, and probably one of the worst philosophies I’ve ever heard by a head coach.

I'd say the Rangers are quite a bit worse than us. Maybe with Hall being out of the lineup we're close, but their roster is really quite awful, quite possibly the worst in the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes to Ward (Kowalsky is a jackass), no to John Moore.

Kowalsky is the worst coach we've had here since John MacLean, assistant or otherwise. Johnny Mac was a terrible assistant as well.

Mike Foligno was bad, especially playing Greene on his off side on the PK for 6 weeks, despite giving up a zillion PP goals and not changing it up until Bryce Salvador got injured. That was more stubbornness than anything though. He was very foolish.

Kowalsky just has no clue what he's doing and I don't think he did in the AHL either. I remember saying he was a worthless putz back in 2012.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes to Ward (Kowalsky is a jackass), no to John Moore.

Kowalsky is the worst coach we've had here since John MacLean, assistant or otherwise. Johnny Mac was a terrible assistant as well.

Mike Foligno was bad, especially playing Greene on his off side on the PK for 6 weeks, despite giving up a zillion PP goals and not changing it up until Bryce Salvador got injured. That was more stubbornness than anything though. He was very foolish.

Kowalsky just has no clue what he's doing and I don't think he did in the AHL either. I remember saying he was a worthless putz back in 2012.
I think you are making a little too much fuss over an assistant coach.

It seems misguided in all honesty...when you look at the decisions of the organization as a whole, honing in on an assistant is really just a distraction from the larger problems.

I am honestly not even sure where this rage is derived from....the PP is currently ranked 13th in league on percentage.

But even we agree that Kowalsky is a putz, it is still like trying to blame the accountant for Enron.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think you are making a little too much fuss over an assistant coach.

It seems misguided in all honesty...when you look at the decisions of the organization as a whole, honing in on an assistant is really just a distraction from the larger problems.

I am honestly not even sure where this rage is derived from....the PP is currently ranked 13th in league on percentage.

But even we agree that Kowalsky is a putz, it is still like trying to blame the accountant for Enron.

Where do you get your numbers? How do you constantly get them wrong? The Devils are 19th in power play percentage. Anyway the Devils are probably a few Brian Boyle tips to the good where they don't really deserve it - they're 6th from the bottom in shots/60 at 5v4 and their results in scoring chances and high danger scoring chances aren't any better. I don't think the Devils have great PP personnel but I'd like their underlying numbers to be better than they are - I don't think Kowalsky is doing a good job.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad