Friedman: Hyman not likely to return to Toronto, Detroit among teams interested

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
gonna have to do what ya don't wanna do, and that's sell off a piece of the 'core'. unfortunately, in the flat cap world, that's not gonna be as easy as it might have been before.
the obvious one is Marner, but that contract is gonna be a jagged pill to pass off.
ya can't trade Taveras, and AM ain't going anywhere, so the other option is Nylander.
and he just had a really good playoff.
said it before in another thread, one of these pieces has to go to shake things up. ya just can't whiff when ya do it.
Gotta do what it takes I guess
Unfortunately, as you say - we can't miss on the trade - and that's tough to do when you're not dealing from strength.

Everyone told us we'd hate the price tags on our core...and boy were they right.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Any team in the League could use hyman . I’m sure every team is going to acquire about about him.

it comes down to what Hyman values more , salary , location , cup chance .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It is because Dubas doesn't understand how hockey is played on the ice.

Having a bunch of finesse forwards is his idea of team-building.

Maybe on EA Sports NHL video games, but not real hockey Kyle.
it blows my mind that this isn't clear to leafs management. even forgetting about the talents of tampa ( vasilievsky hedman macdonagh point kucherov stamkos etc .) there huge and tough to .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The team that signs Zack "Hands" Hyman is going to regret it. He has played almost his entire career with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander or some combination of those and has a max of 41 points. He's a 28 year old bottom sixer at best, worth at most $2-2.5M. If you're team is the unlucky one you better hope it's not a long contract. Something like 5x$5M will be a disaster.
i agree with this 100%

Reactions: 666

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's gritty, plays hard, and would be amazing on Danault's left side.

Hyman - Danault - Gallagher would be unpleasant to play against methink

Gallagher is 29 and has a contract that will take him til he's broken and beyond.
Hyman, and 29, will probably be looking for the same.
Danault, at 28, is probably looking for a contract that takes him to 33-34.

Montreal needs to be careful about long term commitment to players way beyond their prime.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just to drive the Leaf fans insane.....Habs should offer 3.5x3 and he signs.

Basically a replacement for Armia.

Just imagine his motivation in a Habs-Leafs playoff.

Reactions: Fatass

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he would sign that he'd have a new contract already

Don't presume that he likes the Leafs locker room....or that there are no hidden cliques.

Players sign for money...and where he thinks it's more comfortable for him.

On the other hand maybe he does feel he's a 5 million dollar player.....and in a hard cape era, good luck to the dummy who signs him for that.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Wow, big loss for the Leafs, but this is what happens when you commit ~40M to four players. Of all the Leafs I thought he would stay considering he's a local boy and comes from a rich family (maybe money wouldn't be the priority). He took a discount on his first contract and this time around I think it's more about respect (and maybe a little ego) to get paid what he's deserved.

He would help any team and seems to be getting better with age. I used to think he was a product of playing with Matthews, but he showed this season that he can be productive and create offensive opportunities regardless of line mates. I'm going to miss the guy, because he's the best talented grinder the team has and they will be worse without him. Dubas better have a hell of a plan to replace him because he's on thin ice at this point. Re-signing Foligno won't do it, they will have to address this hole via trade...and not a minor one.

Reactions: Fatass

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dubas better have a hell of a plan to replace him because he's on thin ice at this point. Re-signing Foligno won't do it, they will have to address this hole via trade...and not a minor one.

You literally answered your own question. Yes, thats obviously the (only) plan when your as married to those 4 contracts as he is; both professionally and what seems like on a personal level as well. Dubas' entire hopes rest on players wanting to come take a discount to play in TO (hometown for many), and maybe get a chance to play with some good players and win a cup - and that illusion of being a contender is quickly fading I might add.

Dubas is ready to live and die on that hill though, thats clear. This kid 100% believes hes the Brad Pitt version of Billy Beane in moneyball, and that he will be proven right. He chose to take a dirty mustache ride that will either lead him towards a cup (lol or a win in the post season FFS lol) and change how some teams look at building their rosters......

Or more realistically, towards his eventual destination where he runs some other teams analytics department in the basement of an arena somewhere. Full circle to where he probably should have started his office career in the NHL (and probably stay down there because advanced stats are a queer and confusing way to look at a hockey game).

I bet that Dubas will be so much more at peace when he realizes that he was actually much closer to being Jonah Hill in moneyball rather than Billy/Brad - but instead in this version Jonah, our "hero", somehow became the Red Sox GM right after meeting Brad Pitt, then he fails miserably with an unlimited budget/resources for several painful years. And then advanced stats ultimately get exposed for being a fantasy that exist only on paper. And the daughters outro song at the end of the movie is notably darker, and gives some details about her having to change her last name and school in the aftermath.....

I bet DJ Smith is begging Pierre Dorion to go after Hyman for the Sens. Its a perfect match in terms of style.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hyman (signed) + Dermott
For
Bertuzzi

I'm usually the last guy to propose a sign n trade. But maybe with the expansion looming and Wings apparent interest in Dermott too... may be a fit.

The sign and trade is only in place...knowing ZH is walking and keeping Seattle(early access) and others away.
Get real yzerman isn't dealing Bertuzzi for a player that's already 3 years older then him. Yzerman is already on the record wanting a much younger similar player to Bertuzzi if he were to be dealt. And Yzerman is already on record that he really doesn't want to move Tyler.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't presume that he likes the Leafs locker room....or that there are no hidden cliques.

Players sign for money...and where he thinks it's more comfortable for him.

On the other hand maybe he does feel he's a 5 million dollar player.....and in a hard cape era, good luck to the dummy who signs him for that.
Lol dude he's from Toronto and loves Toronto. You honestly believe there is the slightest chance he would sign in Montreal for 3.5x3. Get a grip. If be was willing to sign for that cheap he would stay with the leafs. Where ever he signs, I assure you it will be for more money and longer term and it won't be in Montreal.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Lol dude he's from Toronto and loves Toronto. You honestly believe there is the slightest chance he would sign in Montreal for 3.5x3. Get a grip. If be was willing to sign for that cheap he would stay with the leafs. Where ever he signs, I assure you it will be for more money and longer term and it won't be in Montreal.
that is a bit of a relief

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Gallagher is 29 and has a contract that will take him til he's broken and beyond.
Hyman, and 29, will probably be looking for the same.
Danault, at 28, is probably looking for a contract that takes him to 33-34.

Montreal needs to be careful about long term commitment to players way beyond their prime.
We don't know what the future holds and what the next CBA will look like, but if there aren't any major changes I would think Gallagher finishes his contract on the LTIR

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see why the Leafs might opt to just let him walk. He's a great fit for what they need, but not if the pricetag gets too rich. The way their team is constructed...they really need those "complementary wingers" to be dirt cheap. Even if that means constantly cycling through them, squeezing in deadline rentals, etc., as Pittsburgh has been known to do around Crosby/Malkin over the years.

But what on earth is the interest from Detroit about? Just throwing their name in there because he played college hockey in Michigan? What actual use is an expensive 29 year old "complementary" grinding winger, on a team in Detroit's current situation? He's not a "core" piece to build around, especially given his age. He's much more of that "finishing touch" you put in place around your young stars as they're ready to start making that push as a contender. Weird interest, if true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad