Friedman: Hyman not likely to return to Toronto, Detroit among teams interested

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Just play Anderson there you're already paying him like it or not

Anderson will play on the Suzuki's left wing.

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hyman - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
? (Poehling?) - Evans - Perry

Isn't bad at all

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
I don't blame Hyman for wanting to get paid. All the other guys for whom he has to do the dirty work for got paaaaaid. When your top players fought for and received every cent they could get from the team (with the exception of savvy veterans like Spezza), there's no incentive for you to take less.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
No he wouldn't actually, Zach Hyman works in Toronto because Zach Hyman has 1 job to get the puck, then Matthews or Marner or Nylander do the rest.

Zach Hyman needs to be in a place with stars that can finish off all the work he does.

Places like Edmonton, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa it might even work in Calgary with Monahan and Johnny Hockey.

Zach Hyman also needs to be healthy he has had 2 major knee injuries already and that's why I'm not concern about losing him.

Montreal doesn't have the players Zach Hyman needs to be successful

Hyman is working hard, which means he's a player that can succeed at least a bit on his own. And I'd pay him for what he brings to the table other than his scoring prowess.
A Gallagher / Hyman duo would f*** up game plans IMO

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Considering the deals Laughton and Lowry signed around the trade deadline the moment his camp starts trying to negotiate with a 4 in the front let alone a 5 and I’d be pivoting to other options fast.
That is not a deal that will age well.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Hyman in Detroit, oh my, they might emerge in a couple years but he'd be on the downside by then

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
As a non-Leafs fan living in the Toronto area, I gotta say Hyman is an impressive person, not just hockey player. Really a character that any team trying to improve their locker-room or team effort should consider over-paying for. Definitely will need to assume a points reduction but still worth being an overpaid middle 6 F.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Steve Yzerman knows more about hockey than I ever will and obviously has quite the impressive GM resume but I really hope Hyman chooses another team, as I see the only way the Wings have a chance on him would be overpaying and we are just quite frankly several years away from needing a guy his age at the contract he’ll get.

Great player, but this contract is gonna be a disaster

yeah i can't see why yzerman goes after hyman . timing isn't right at all

Reactions: winger7020

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That's cool and all - but when this story releases the day after the rumors of 'Hall to Toronto' break out - if I were a Leaf fan i'd hope they keep Hyman instead. If anyone is likely to be signed to too high a cap hit/term - Hall is more likely than Hyman imo
I think the Hall rumour is fabrication honestly, Dreger isn't the most reliable source and loves to stir it up. If Friedman or Johnston confirmed it I'd take it as serious. Nonetheless, we wouldn't get Hall at the high cap/term he wants either due to our cap concerns. He would need to take a discount to come here

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I hear that Tavares has already ordered a set of Leaf PJ's for Taylor Hall. Book it.
No way the leafs do Hall? I mean 40m for 4 forwards, no way.....unless Marner gets traded for a stud Dman?
Still makes no sense to go after Hall.................when they can't keep Hyman?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Get the feeling anyone who gives him more than 3.5 mil for anything more than 4 years is going to regret it

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Leafs are just bleeding depth the past couple years.

That being said, any team that overpays Hyman will regret it. Guys like that age extremely poorly. Especially when they are "right place, right time" type players to begin with.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Hyman in Detroit, oh my, they might emerge in a couple years but he'd be on the downside by then
It is mind boggling when I am guessing he only has another 3-4 years left of possible impactful play and he is going to choose it in a place that I am guessing has no chance of a cup, but I guess there are those who would rather get paid than have a chance to win, also alot more surprising considering it sounds like his family is really rich anyway and he doesn't really need the money, not that most of these guys who have already made millions need it

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
what a weird target for Detroit. I get that he went to Michigan, but he's not going to be very useful by the time they're contending. He should really seek out a contender that needs him right now, his time as an impact player probably won't last long. With his age, injuries and style of play there are a lot of red flags on a long-term deal. He was quite bad in the playoffs coming off his most recent knee injury.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hyman has been a wonderful soldier for the Maple Leafs and I'll miss him for sure, but the market speculation around him sounds like someone who just came off two successful Stanley Cup runs a la Coleman and Goodrow combined.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
He might have lasted longer in TO if he didn't have to carry the dirty areas workload while many of his higher priced teammates were soft, lazy, unphysical perimeter players that the GM wanted to allocate most of his cap money.
It is because Dubas doesn't understand how hockey is played on the ice.

Having a bunch of finesse forwards is his idea of team-building.

Maybe on EA Sports NHL video games, but not real hockey Kyle.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
How many more years are the Leafs going to standby as their depth disappears?
As long as Dubas is the GM.

To build any depth would be admitting that he was wrong and getting rid of some of the players he signed to big-money contracts.

I don't know Kyle personally. But from the things I have seen from him, he reminds me of some people I do personally know. And these people think they are right 100% of the time.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think anyone who expected him to take a home town discount was being naive. The salary structure for the young stars really means that you can’t expect discount signings unless it’s older guys like Spezza who have already had their pay day. If you want discounted deals the star players have to lead the way.

Jun 27, 2005
The team that signs Zack "Hands" Hyman is going to regret it. He has played almost his entire career with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander or some combination of those and has a max of 41 points. He's a 28 year old bottom sixer at best, worth at most $2-2.5M. If you're team is the unlucky one you better hope it's not a long contract. Something like 5x$5M will be a disaster.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
what a weird target for Detroit. I get that he went to Michigan, but he's not going to be very useful by the time they're contending. He should really seek out a contender that needs him right now, his time as an impact player probably won't last long. With his age, injuries and style of play there are a lot of red flags on a long-term deal. He was quite bad in the playoffs coming off his most recent knee injury.
He'd likely be a "bridge player" until they have more prospects ready to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad