Friedman: Hyman not likely to return to Toronto, Detroit among teams interested

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
This has Justin Abdelkader contract type alarm bells.
Both were the workhorse guy on very skilled teams. Both were playing top line with superstars that ‘fluffed’ their offensive numbers.

Hard to believe Yzerman wouldn’t notice this… considering he just cut Abdelkader a monster buyout check last year.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Hyman isn’t leaving to be paid fairly.

I love Hyman but all these other teams fans in here pining for him makes me laugh, whoever signs him is going to regret it.

Reactions: SnizzMitch

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Losing Zach Hyman would suck but if he's asking for the reported 5.5m to 6m you have to walk away, even if Toronto had the money to resign him that's way to rich for someone like Hyman. We have seen with players like him be effective for the next two or three seasons then fall of a cliff and you can see with him, his body already breaking down with his style of play, being hurt the past three seasons.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
No he wouldn't actually, Zach Hyman works in Toronto because Zach Hyman has 1 job to get the puck, then Matthews or Marner or Nylander do the rest.

Zach Hyman needs to be in a place with stars that can finish off all the work he does.

Places like Edmonton, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa it might even work in Calgary with Monahan and Johnny Hockey.

Zach Hyman also needs to be healthy he has had 2 major knee injuries already and that's why I'm not concern about losing him.

Montreal doesn't have the players Zach Hyman needs to be successful

we have Suzuki and Caufield. personally not that interested in Hyman tho

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Detroit would be an interesting destination. He played on a line with Larkin at Michigan, they have the cap space and could certainly use what he brings. Damn shame he's leaving though.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
He might have lasted longer in TO if he didn't have to carry the dirty areas workload while many of his higher priced teammates were soft, lazy, unphysical perimeter players that the GM wanted to allocate most of his cap money.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
No he wouldn't actually, Zach Hyman works in Toronto because Zach Hyman has 1 job to get the puck, then Matthews or Marner or Nylander do the rest.

Zach Hyman needs to be in a place with stars that can finish off all the work he does.

Places like Edmonton, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa it might even work in Calgary with Monahan and Johnny Hockey.

Zach Hyman also needs to be healthy he has had 2 major knee injuries already and that's why I'm not concern about losing him.

Montreal doesn't have the players Zach Hyman needs to be successful
this honesty coming from a leafs fan should be listened to .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i could see a one year show me deal for hyman when he's not getting the offers he thought he would . i repeat . when he's not getting what he's looking for . that way you know he's gonna be driving it hard for that contract . one year would be low risk for habs .

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Injury bug already taking its toll with his style of game. That plus the fact he's almost 30 is not exactly a good mix.

Guys irreplaceable, but if the reported asks are true it's fine that he's leaving. Can't afford a bad contract on our team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i could see a one year show me deal for hyman when he's not getting the offers he thought he would . i repeat . when he's not getting what he's looking for . that way you know he's gonna be driving it hard for that contract . one year would be low risk for habs .

Thing is he will get exactly what he's looking for

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He'd fit well on the Jets, if the price is right, especially if they lose Appleton to the Kraken.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Yes lets get rid of the only guy other than spezza that plays with heart.

Getting rid of Brown was a huge mistake and now this will be another.
The issue with resigning Zach Hyman is that his point production is the main driver for the big raise in AAV. If it was up to the Leafs, they would trade this Hyman for the one back in 2017 that was worth 2.25 a year, because at the end of the day that Hyman still brought the grit and heart that you talk about. They need to find another young guy like that who hasn't had an explosion in production. If you want gritty players who play with heart, you probably shouldn't sign Hyman, because you're paying an extra 2 million a year for his point production.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Steve Yzerman knows more about hockey than I ever will and obviously has quite the impressive GM resume but I really hope Hyman chooses another team, as I see the only way the Wings have a chance on him would be overpaying and we are just quite frankly several years away from needing a guy his age at the contract he’ll get.

Great player, but this contract is gonna be a disaster

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I really like Hyman but this is probably going to be an ugly contract for whoever signs him.

He is probably worth 4x4 as a fair deal, but I have heard rumors of anywhere from 5-7M on a 6+ year deal

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Edmonton should be all over this. As much as I hate them, he'd be a great fit there. With how he plays the game, Boston would be a good option for him too...would be weird to see him in a Bs jersey, but he plays their style of hockey. Good luck to him wherever he goes, nothing but love from this Leaf fan. Sad we don't have the money to keep him.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If Hyman is leaving Toronto he's getting paid and will be getting around 6 x 6/7 years. Awesome player but that will quickly become an awful contact because of the hard miles on his body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad