Friedman: Hyman not likely to return to Toronto, Detroit among teams interested

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He'd fit on the Habs perfectly
I feel like he wouldn’t do that. Unless I’ve misread his personality completely based on what he looks like, but he doesn’t seem like that kinda fellow. I don’t want him either, guy looks like Cory Matthews on ice, but he’s gritty I’ll give him that.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I feel like he wouldn’t do that. Unless I’ve misread his personality completely based on what he looks like, but he doesn’t seem like that kinda fellow. I don’t want him either, guy looks like Cory Matthews on ice, but he’s gritty I’ll give him that.

He's gritty, plays hard, and would be amazing on Danault's left side.

Hyman - Danault - Gallagher would be unpleasant to play against methink

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He's gritty, plays hard, and would be amazing on Danault's left side.

Hyman - Danault - Gallagher would be unpleasant to play against methink
That’d be a really overpaid line, but yeah maybe.

It’s yet to be seen if Hyman is just a product of Toronto’s skilled guys. I mean I didn’t really notice him all that much in the Toronto series. Slightly more than Matthews and Marner which is pretty sad in and of itself, but meh.

Reactions: MNRube

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
That’d be a really overpaid line, but yeah maybe.

It’s yet to be seen if Hyman is just a product of Toronto’s skilled guys. I mean I didn’t really notice him all that much in the Toronto series. Slightly more than Matthews and Marner which is pretty sad in and of itself, but meh.

He's probably putting more points that he'd normally should beacause of the skill level of Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander, but I'm ok with paying more for guys who come to play at every game. You also need them in spades in playoffs time.

Just imagine how much it would sucks for a goaltender to have to deal with Hyman and Gallagher on the same line.

And we need a good LW anyway, and I don't want Hall in Montreal, thank you very much.

I don't want the Habs to overpay for him, obviously, but he'd be at home here, just saying! 8)

(Unless, of course, we can put our hands on someone like Wilson, Tuch or dare I say, Ovechkin, than you go with them)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Makes sense. Hard to improve the team when five of your top six would cost 46M+ next season. At least 40M gives you options to find two cheap top-6 guys to make it more balanced. Add in the 17 M for three defensemen and Kessel retention you're basically leaving yourself around 14.5M for 12 spots. It is just too hard to make the math work.

They're probably going to have to trade for someone. They're pushing the limit with these Spezza/ Big Joe signings. You need young, hungry players. For every old veteran or reclamation project who succeeds, you seem to get one who disappoints. Might be time to go back to the overseas FA and college FA market.

Trading for someone is probably the only way to get both quality AND affordability, but it will come at a cost asset-wise and the cupboard is getting thinner. Gets a bit dangerous trading future high picks too. Injuries can decimate any team.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Hockey is his job, what fans think, shouldn't factor where he goes. That kind of fellow? a traitor? pish posh

------

If Leafs GM won't make moves, so that they can keep a very important piece, that's his, their loss
but rather going for "star" forwards instead...that's just stupidity.

Leafs gave away very important, key pieces away before, just like Hyman, to sign Tavares and look what happened to them,
they are in a hell, where its almost impossible to come out, without seriously changing the roster.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hockey is his job, what fans think, shouldn't factor where he goes. That kind of fellow? a traitor? pish posh

------

If Leafs GM won't make moves, so that they can keep a very important piece, that's his, their loss
but rather going for "star" forwards instead...that's just stupidity.

Leafs gave away very important, key pieces away before, just like Hyman, to sign Tavares and look what happened to them,
they are in a hell, where its almost impossible to come out, without seriously changing the roster.

…. like who?

Reactions: WildWolfdog

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I hope he goes to Detroit. Edmonton does not need his contract on the books

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Any contract longer than 3 years is a mistake. Already showing signs of his style being too much for his body.

Reactions: 613Leafer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He'd fit on the Habs perfectly

No he wouldn't actually, Zach Hyman works in Toronto because Zach Hyman has 1 job to get the puck, then Matthews or Marner or Nylander do the rest.

Zach Hyman needs to be in a place with stars that can finish off all the work he does.

Places like Edmonton, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa it might even work in Calgary with Monahan and Johnny Hockey.

Zach Hyman also needs to be healthy he has had 2 major knee injuries already and that's why I'm not concern about losing him.

Montreal doesn't have the players Zach Hyman needs to be successful

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He’s looking at 5-6 years at around 5 million+ based on reports. I love Hyman but that contract is more than likely going to bite you in the ass. We’ll have to try and find another Hyman

That's cool and all - but when this story releases the day after the rumors of 'Hall to Toronto' break out - if I were a Leaf fan i'd hope they keep Hyman instead. If anyone is likely to be signed to too high a cap hit/term - Hall is more likely than Hyman imo

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hyman is exactly what the Leafs need more of, but at age 29, I'd be very wary of giving him a contract anywhere close to what the rumoured asking price has been.

Seen too many of the hardworking gritty semi-skilled types take a complete nosedive in play right around age 30 (e.g. Clarkson, Simmonds, Bolland, to a lesser extent Foligno, Armstrong, etc, just to name a few who have played for the Leafs). Hyman has had injuries take him out of the lineup for 10+ games in each of the last 3 seasons as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad