Friedman: Hyman not likely to return to Toronto, Detroit among teams interested

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I wonder if Yzerman would offer him 1 year at $6-7 million similar to Hall with Buffalo. If the team sucks then Detroit gets a 1st or 2nd round pick at the deadline.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The team that signs Zack "Hands" Hyman is going to regret it. He has played almost his entire career with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander or some combination of those and has a max of 41 points. He's a 28 year old bottom sixer at best, worth at most $2-2.5M. If you're team is the unlucky one you better hope it's not a long contract. Something like 5x$5M will be a disaster.
Played to a 59 and 63 point pace the last 2 shortened seasons.

Saying he is a $2 million bottom sixer is ludicrous. Im not even a big Hyman fan but he is obviously quite better then that. 5x5 is actually pretty solid and thats probably around what he gets.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Hyman at 5 for 2-3 years is likely an okay contract. The 5x5 thats been suggested doesn't strike me as a good idea.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think anyone who expected him to take a home town discount was being naive. The salary structure for the young stars really means that you can’t expect discount signings unless it’s older guys like Spezza who have already had their pay day. If you want discounted deals the star players have to lead the way.
No depth player is going to be very interested in taking a hometown discount after the stars grabbed every penny they could.

Especially when the depth player is the one who does the dirty work for these stars.

Jun 27, 2005
Played to a 59 and 63 point pace the last 2 shortened seasons.

Saying he is a $2 million bottom sixer is ludicrous. Im not even a big Hyman fan but he is obviously quite better then that. 5x5 is actually pretty solid and thats probably around what he gets.

Pretty well ANY 3rd liner in the league would perform better than him over the course of a full season playing with the superstars that he gets to play with. Put him on a 3rd line where he belongs and he'll be 30 point player tops. I guess we'll see.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Have you ever been concerned about any move that the Maple Leafs have made in the history of ever?

Yes, perfect example was handing Garret Sparks the backup job, and then after he failed miserably which was to be expected they just refused to address it for 17 months.

I'm also concerned about the current goaltending because as good as Jack Campbell was he only played 22 games, I'm not 100% comfortable handing the starting job to somebody with a career high of 31 games.

I am not however concerned about losing somebody with multiple major knee issues

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I wouldn't go a cent over 4M. Same deal as a Danault.

If teams overpay a la 5,6,close to 7M a year for any one of these fools, they'll be regretting it a year or two into the deals.

Reactions: 780il

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Someone is gonna overpay for Hyman and I for one am glad it's not gonna be the leafs (or at least based on reports).

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hyman (signed) + Dermott
For
Bertuzzi

I'm usually the last guy to propose a sign n trade. But maybe with the expansion looming and Wings apparent interest in Dermott too... may be a fit.

The sign and trade is only in place...knowing ZH is walking and keeping Seattle(early access) and others away.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Also, Hyman really isn't gritty anymore. He's a guy who skates hard and works hard at retrieving pucks. That's it.

He's not overly physical and has little to no mean streak at all. He shies away from finishing checks. He shies away from scrums.

Again he's just a guy who skates hard and works hard along the boards. Pay him accordingly

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Leafs gave away very important, key pieces away before, just like Hyman, to sign Tavares and look what happened to them,
they are in a hell, where its almost impossible to come out, without seriously changing the roster.
Like Mikko Lehtonen? The waiver wire D who can't crack a bottom pair that you said would be Finland's #2LD behind Heiskanen for the next decade?

Stick to selfies.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Hyman (signed) + Dermott
For
Bertuzzi

I'm usually the last guy to propose a sign n trade. But maybe with the expansion looming and Wings apparent interest in Dermott too... may be a fit.

The sign and trade is only in place...knowing ZH is walking and keeping Seattle(early access) and others away.
isn't Hyman a UFA? if so, why would be sign a contract just to be traded? he could just sign with Detroit if that's what he wanted

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Okay so the leafs would be fine dropping a good player in Hyman for bertuzzi or hall

Wonderboy gonna wonderboy and regress his team lmfao

Reactions: flying v 604

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
isn't Hyman a UFA? if so, why would be sign a contract just to be traded? he could just sign with Detroit if that's what he wanted
100% right. That's why I hate those deals because I've responded the same way as you before.

I just wonder with expansion (Hyman can sign in Seattle before UFA opens, poential to sign the longer contract and no other teams ramping up the price)
But yes, I agree. If they want him... probably just wait.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
100% right. That's why I hate those deals because I've responded the same way as you before.

I just wonder with expansion (Hyman can sign in Seattle before UFA opens, poential to sign the longer contract and no other teams ramping up the price)
But yes, I agree. If they want him... probably just wait.

yeah, the ONLY reason to do this is to get the 8th yr, and I really don't see that contract happening. otherwise this makes no sense for him at all

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Not wrong. We're a joke. Not sure what we can actually do to upgrade this team; while being financially tied to THIS core.

Any ideas? Lol

gonna have to do what ya don't wanna do, and that's sell off a piece of the 'core'. unfortunately, in the flat cap world, that's not gonna be as easy as it might have been before.
the obvious one is Marner, but that contract is gonna be a jagged pill to pass off.
ya can't trade Taveras, and AM ain't going anywhere, so the other option is Nylander.
and he just had a really good playoff.
said it before in another thread, one of these pieces has to go to shake things up. ya just can't whiff when ya do it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hyman's one of those guys who I'm 50/50 on, depending on term. I'd love him on the Pens, but I also know it'll likely take a 5+ year term and that's going to be risky with his age and style of play. He'll be worth it for the first 2 or 3 years, but after that you're playing Russian Roulette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad