HUT Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm just a weak human, i promised myself to not touch the cancer known as HUT.

But it was the first gamemode i played, it's been fun so far (it always is in the beginning...) but I do have one problem tho. I'm still in quite beginning of the gamemode div 7. I think, so I'm still in the bronze divisions yet everyone else has stacked af teams.

Like everyone has a Gretzky, Gilmour, Hull etc. Wtf? How? I get that some of them probably are loan cards or at least the best version of them but still how the hell do some people have legends in all four lines when i'm still rocking with silver players in some of them?

Seriously how so many people have the time and/ or money to do this within the first week if the game. :eek::huh:
Gretzky+another legend was a preorder bonus. Also some of the alumni out there are fairly cheap (between 8-15k can get you an 81-83 overall). I'd say that's probably it, mixed in with people who spend real money.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I can't believe how brutal it is to make a bid on a player. You make a bid and someone outbids you the player just disappears. Scroll to unsuccessful bids still not there. Back out and come back and now it shows up as expired and someone outbids you. Just missed out on 3 Charlie Conacher's listed for 30K because if someone outbids you it's nearly impossible to get another bid in.

The only way to overcome this, in my experience, is RT, change the time frame and it should reload. Like change from last 7 day s to last 14. Cycle it over and over. Really really dumb design.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The entire auction house is a disaster and has been for years. You should be able to search for an individual player(not guess what his position/player type is which is not always super easy or there are multiple RW Snipers on the same team etc.). You should be able to cancel an auction at any time. If an auction goes unsold there should be a relist at same price button. There should be a trading house like there is in Madden so you know players are looking for trades and will actually check if they have an offer. So many different things they could do with it. I wish it was like MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty market. So much nicer.

Got the burner synergy activated yesterday but I don't feel much of a difference. I'm not entirely sure that the synergies actually do anything just like the old chemistry feature. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just placebos and didn't actually do what they described, but maybe someone has tested it and it actually does work. I don't know.

EDIT: Looked up a video about NHL 18 and they seem to matter, but only a tiny bit. Definitely nothing to get worked up about. I was going to build a team where everyone had a synergy activated, but seeing that video made me think twice. Probably just going to continue picking the best player for the given situation. Benn-Gretzky-Hull is locked in as my first line right now and will probably be a line all year(or at least most of it) because they're all three untradeable. After I get Ray Ferraro collection reward he'll probably supplant Benn on the top line. I want to get the gold burner coach and another goalie with the burner synergy so I don't have to fill my roster with trash like Riley Nash and Ian Cole just to reach the threshold, but I'm saving my coins for when the special editions come out. It's super tempting to just buy a Crosby right now because I actually have the coins for him for a change, but I know he's going to be worthless in a month or two and I'd rather have a special edition card.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Trying to see if I can get the Ferraro for September. Will be able to complete Tier 1 tomorrow.

Tier 2 requires 15 more, so should be able to complete that on next Monday meaning I need to get the remaining 15 in a week. Do-able..
Currently just grinding through the challenges - got 27k coins after completing the first 10 + milestone rewards. Good way to rack up goals and shots too. Can get Gartner, McInnis and Fleury this way. Will keep doing them until I get stuck and then buy players.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I'm just a weak human, i promised myself to not touch the cancer known as HUT.

But it was the first gamemode i played, it's been fun so far (it always is in the beginning...) but I do have one problem tho. I'm still in quite beginning of the gamemode div 7. I think, so I'm still in the bronze divisions yet everyone else has stacked af teams.

Like everyone has a Gretzky, Gilmour, Hull etc. Wtf? How? I get that some of them probably are loan cards or at least the best version of them but still how the hell do some people have legends in all four lines when i'm still rocking with silver players in some of them?

Seriously how so many people have the time and/ or money to do this within the first week if the game. :eek::huh:

I'm in the same boat. Everyone I play has a loaded team full of Gretzky, LaFleur, Carey Price, and just an entire NHL roster of stars. I just assumed it's kids using mom's credit card and loading up. My wife bought me the game on the day it came out and I try to play a little bit every night in the evening after I put the kids to bed but my team is awful. Like you said, I guess I just don't have the time and/or money to keep up with the rest of the people on HUT. I definitely know I don't have the time but I didn't think everyone would have a loaded roster just a couple days after the game was released.

I don't even have a full NHL roster at the moment and my team is awful. I'm pretty good and can play pretty good defense so I'm usually able to keep up and don't get absolutely blown out. I think I've been blown out once or twice but I'm competitive.

Here's my current team. Hopefully I'll have enough coins to add a couple more decent players tonight. Speaking of coins, I haven't played HUT since NHL 17 (skipped 18) and why are crappy players so expensive compared to HUT on 17. On 17 I used to be able to land really good players for under 2,000 coins. Now you're lucky to get some bum 4th line NHLer for 2,000 coins. Anyway, my current team right now below.

Jake DeBrusk (79) - Patrice Bergeron (84) - Tarasenko (80)
Radek Faksa (79) - Ryan Johansen (82) - Brett Ritchie (76)
Matt Martin (78) - Devin Shore (79) - Valentin Zykov (76)
Rich Clune (72) - Vladimir Ruzicka (73) - Kenny Ryan (72)

Esa Lindell (79) - Terry Harper (83)
Erik Gustafsson (77) - Hampus Lindholm (81)
Andrew O'Brien (71) - Roman Polak (75)

Jeff Zatkoff (72)

How embarrassing is that line up?

Reactions: Hasa92

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm in the same boat. Everyone I play has a loaded team full of Gretzky, LaFleur, Carey Price, and just an entire NHL roster of stars. I just assumed it's kids using mom's credit card and loading up. My wife bought me the game on the day it came out and I try to play a little bit every night in the evening after I put the kids to bed but my team is awful. Like you said, I guess I just don't have the time and/or money to keep up with the rest of the people on HUT. I definitely know I don't have the time but I didn't think everyone would have a loaded roster just a couple days after the game was released.

I don't even have a full NHL roster at the moment and my team is awful. I'm pretty good and can play pretty good defense so I'm usually able to keep up and don't get absolutely blown out. I think I've been blown out once or twice but I'm competitive.

Here's my current team. Hopefully I'll have enough coins to add a couple more decent players tonight. Speaking of coins, I haven't played HUT since NHL 17 (skipped 18) and why are crappy players so expensive compared to HUT on 17. On 17 I used to be able to land really good players for under 2,000 coins. Now you're lucky to get some bum 4th line NHLer for 2,000 coins. Anyway, my current team right now below.

Jeff Zatkoff (72)

Gretzky and lafleur were preorder bonuses. I advise doing offline challenges to build up your coins and then spending them on cheap 81-83 overall players. You should be able to have a respectable team in a week or so

Reactions: The Tourist

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland

Jeff Zatkoff (72)

Yeah i know but then again it's also hilariously humiliating to beat someone who has a stacked roster with bunch of scrubs.

But that fun doesn't last long when you realize that every game is basically a penalty kill for the full 60' minutes. Your players can't match the speed, strength, skill and reaction/ rediness of the opposing players Even if you manage to overcome this challenge it feels like a grind. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: The Tourist

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Offline challenges are super boring, but it's a good way to stockpile coins to buy a decent roster. I played about 30 offline challenges before my first online game and had a team of all NHL players. Online play is already slow enough, playing online with a slow roster would be infuriating to me.

80+ players are so expensive because you can turn 5 of them into a Gold Collectible, which sells for about 20K(on ps4 at least). Just doing the math all 80+ players will be about 4,000 until the price of gold collectibles goes down, which doesn't seem likely in the near future as Gold Collectibles are needed for nearly every set. If not gold then Carbon collectibles, which you can make for 10 gold collectibles so they will still be valuable. I absolutely hate collectibles, but at least this year they found a way to tie collectibles to players so that decent players have at least some value. In years past only the superstars had any value. That will still be the case after a while, but the non-stars should at least be able to stay above a couple thousand coins.

Just from offline challenges and some basic card flipping my lineup is:

Geoffion-Gretzky-Hull
Benn-Staal-Pastrnak
Voracek-McDavid(80 overall)-Simmonds
Trash w/ burner synergy 4th line

Hill(83 overall alumni)-Barrie
Orlov-E. Johnson
Trash w/ burner synergy

Bishop
Smith(for the burner synergy)

Silver burner synergy coach

180K coins because I pulled Bergeron and Coffey in the same pack(and the only pack I've opened that wasn't free. 35K coins well spent) and sold both to fill out the rest of the squad. Need to upgrade the defense and goaltending, but I'm waiting for the special edition cards to come out or for me to find a steal on the market. Would really like Byfuglien and Pietrangelo, but I don't want to spend the coins on them. Also want Mikael Granlund for the burner synergy and he's a decent player.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
My line up so far, updated. Still haven’t spent beyond ten bucks from the start, mostly grinding challenges and objectives and doing a lot of re rolling for gold players.

Hall-Gretzky*-Laine
Benn-Messier-Draisaitl
Stone-Getzlaf-Hornqvist
McDavid*-J.Staal-Tarasenko*

Salming-Subban
Josi-Gord Murphy
Yandle-McAvoy*

Vasilevskiy
Some Bronze

* being a pre order or loyalty bonus.

Only players I pulled from packs were: Laine, Stone and Salming. Laine and Stone were from the EA Access challenge.

Draisaitl ironically bought him at 8k, tried flipping him but failed so he gets a spot on the squad. Benn, Getzlaf, Josi, Yandle and Vasilevskiy are all from re rolls.

Hall and Subban were auction house buys.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah i know but then again it's also hilariously humiliating to beat someone who has a stacked roster with bunch of scrubs.

But that fun doesn't last long when you realize that every game is basically a penalty kill for the full 60' minutes. Your players can't match the speed, strength, skill and reaction/ rediness of the opposing players Even if you manage to overcome this challenge it feels like a grind. :/

Oh it's definitely a grind and there is zero flash to your game if you are playing against a stacked roster. I just park the bus in front of the net and try to hit them with a counter attack a couple times per period. I definitely get a little smile when I beat a stacked roster with my ragtag bunch but like you said it feels like a penalty kill the entire game.

I took the advice above and started just knocking out the HUT challenges to build up some coins without wasting contracts. I was able to add an 83 Barkov and an 82 Perry to my line up last night after playing a bit. Hopefully after about a week I will have a team of quality NHL players. I will never have a stacked roster of legends but a middle of the road roster full of all NHLers will be enough for me to compete and have fun.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
As a F2P player, I'm just saving up my coins for now and keeping players I pull in packs or re-rolls. I'm enjoying the team so far, but want to upgrade my D and maybe grab someone like Seguin or Benn.

Wheeler - Gretzky - Matthews
Debrincat - Sundin - Monahan
Hoffman - Olczyk - Lindholm
Hornqvist - Athanasiou - Hertl

Byfuglien - Smith (B's Alum)
Suter - Dumba
Alzner - Goligoski

Rask
Some Silver BU goalie.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In the games that I've played so far, penalties haven't been an issue, but I really haven't played online NHL in a few years, skipped a few versions altogether.

What has been an issue is almost every player having their stick magnetized when they come somewhat close to the puck, whether someone has it or not. Has this always been an issue in the past few versions? Anyone have any tips to deal with it?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
In the games that I've played so far, penalties haven't been an issue, but I really haven't played online NHL in a few years, skipped a few versions altogether.

What has been an issue is almost every player having their stick magnetized when they come somewhat close to the puck, whether someone has it or not. Has this always been an issue in the past few versions? Anyone have any tips to deal with it?
It's new and it makes the game incredibly frustrating. It's a loose-puck-fest with random bounces that you can't really control. It's forced me to play conservatively and barely try to dangle or make any sort of skilled plays. So I guess that's how you deal with it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's new and it makes the game incredibly frustrating. It's a loose-puck-fest with random bounces that you can't really control. It's forced me to play conservatively and barely try to dangle or make any sort of skilled plays. So I guess that's how you deal with it.
Ok, that's what I figured to do. Really boring games so far, with just lucky bounces or stupid mistakes for goals.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ok, that's what I figured to do. Really boring games so far, with just lucky bounces or stupid mistakes for goals.
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to play offensively. My best players can't snipe worth shit. It's not even like I'm trying to exploit the short side top shelf like in 18. I'll aim low blocker, top glove, 5-hole. Doesn't matter, it'll either miss the net or go right in the goalie's chest. I feel like I'm forcing cross-crease or cross-ice one timers just because that's the only thing that works. I'll get lucky on rebounds but with the amount of loose pucks and general f***ery that goes on with random bounces you can't consistently rely on rebounds to score.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to play offensively. My best players can't snipe worth ****. It's not even like I'm trying to exploit the short side top shelf like in 18. I'll aim low blocker, top glove, 5-hole. Doesn't matter, it'll either miss the net or go right in the goalie's chest. I feel like I'm forcing cross-crease or cross-ice one timers just because that's the only thing that works. I'll get lucky on rebounds but with the amount of loose pucks and general ****ery that goes on with random bounces you can't consistently rely on rebounds to score.

Yeah, my games simply come down to who makes the mistake or what CPU goalie makes the dumbest decision.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Draft Champions worth it this year? I see the sets are actually not bad considering 82 overall players would be pretty good early on.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Noob question.. when TOTW comes out do your cards just get improved (if you have one of those players) or is it a brand new card you have to buy?

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
How do you get the x25 september card for Ferarro?
First you have to submit 10 daily reward cards on Tier 1, which gives you a "10x card".

Then you have to submit the 10x card + 15 more reward cards on Tier 2, which gives you a "25x card". Then you submit that 25x card and another 15 reward cards on Tier 3 which gives you Ferraro.

It's a grind tbf, you have to complete daily progressions aswell to get extra reward cards so that you have enough of them.

On another note, I'd like to say hi to ppl who might remember me from the earlier NHL versions. I used to grind this game series a lot but have been more or less away from NHL games for couple years now. I've been playing FUT alot, but decided I might skip this year and concentrate on NHL on my free time, which I don't have that much these days. :)

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
70k to build a team with, suggestions?

Have 80 ovr McDavid, Toews and Tarasenko already and Alberts Alumni

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
70k to build a team with, suggestions?

Have 80 ovr McDavid, Toews and Tarasenko already and Alberts Alumni

Trade in your rare silvers for golds, and golds for rare golds. Takes some time, but I've slowly upgraded each position by doing this.

I had some good pulls with the 35k gold pack. So either that, or buy specific players at decent deals.

I try to get players with good/great speed and decent size, and then play conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad