Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to Match part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I don’t see how waiting it out hurts the Habs, it’s not like all of the RFA’s are magically getting signed over this 7 day period. If MB wants to make another offer sheet, he’ll do it after this little “Take Warning :razz:“ shirade is finished.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In no way does it make them dicks. The Canadiens and Aho are the dicks. There are rules, and Carolina have every right to wait the 7 days.
Actually, as a fan I would be pissed off if my team were offer sheeted and didn't wait the full time.

Habs can’t be a dick for availing themselves of a power that was collectively bargained. Heck, they even kept the AAV low.

Maybe Aho and his agent just found a way to get what they wanted quickly and the price to pay was Aho giving the Canes fan base a giant f*** you to get there.

I’m expecting to see Aho back pedal as soon as the match is announced. It’ll make for an interesting juxtaposition to the irrational exuberance Bergevin displayed in claiming repeatedly how Aho wanted and chose to be a Hab.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
STOP!! LOL
He ain't coming. The only reason it isn't official is because they are taking their time to try and stick it to the Habs but its done. Over. Caput.

Thats bs they have no incentive and no reason to do that.

Doesn’t tie the habs and serves no purpose instead stressing your own fan base.

If it was the other way around we would be screaming at Bergedance to match ASAP.

Something is up for sure now wether it’s something like a side offer (remember they said they were open to a trade) or cash flow problems that remains to be seen.

They act all tough but they are cheaper than Scrooge mcduck

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The only way this happens IMO is if Aho comes out and says he does not want to play for the Canes, which will never happen.

Pretty much….but even then, Carolina has made all those public statements about being a waste of time, the the Habs got played and that Aho is really happy to stay with the team and never really wanted to leave. You don't go out like without some guarantee.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have been following this all day and haven't seen anything hinting that Aho may be unhappy. There has been absolutely nothing said by Aho one way or another.

Reactions: Drezilla

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I have been following this all day and haven't seen anything hinting that Aho may be unhappy. There has been absolutely nothing said by Aho one way or another.
I hear there's a big Fortnite competition going on right now. Maybe once that's done Aho might come out and speak. Or maybe he doesn't care.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I honestly wonder how Aho feels about all this. Delaying his payday so they can get an extra 4 days of ReVeNgE!

It’ll be such a small bleep on the radar screen when he gets his first double digit million payment. I think we’re overblowing this. Aho wins no matter what.

Reactions: Drezilla

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Even a billionnaire might not have 12M lying dormant in his bank account. Most of their money lies in assets and investments. It takes a bit of time to turn investments or assets into liquidity, especially 12M+.
It's not a question of negotiations or revenge. It's just finance.
Nothing to see, but fun to speculate. I'm enjoying all this with popcorn in hand.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LIKE Waddell will be there, in a couple years,
LeBrun reports that Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon has given Don Waddell permission to try and sign a Canadiens' player to an offer sheet in the next couple of years if there's a guy he likes.
From his article in The Athletic:
"Believe me when I say this: I guarantee Dundon has already told Waddell that if there’s an RFA in Montreal the ‘Canes can go after over the next few years, he’s got the green light to do something crazy."

Bring it on! :handclap:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor

If it was the other way around we would be screaming at Bergedance to match ASAP.

Something is up for sure now wether it’s something like a side offer (remember they said they were open to a trade) or cash flow problems that remains to be seen.

The canes board literally had a thread that was just pages of them making fun of how cheap Dundon is :laugh: and now they're all "lol he's a billionaire get real about us not having money"

As far as I can tell they really don't want to sign it but they really have no choice

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Lets fast forward to July 1st, 2021. The Habs sign star Hurricane winger Andrei Svechnikov to a hostile offer. The Habs GM announced they weren't gonna send an hostile offer to Svechnikov but because the Canes dragged out officially matching the Aho hostile offer they just wanted to say hello to the Hurricane franchise and their fans again. Take that you bunch of jerks. :)

:sarcasm:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Their GM literally said that in his presser that they may wait to mess with the Habs.
The owner has had a presser a day later saying he will match it.
Everything else here is conspiracy theories for us fans that would like Aho on the team, but seriously it's time to move on.
The look here is getting desperate at this point...
:skeptic: Unless maybe saying they would match it was just to please the fans but really it was just to buy them more time to negotiate with MB to try and get Suzuki AND Poehling AND Drouin and a 1st because they found out Aho doesn't really wanna stay they there before his phone got disconnected from them so they NEED TO MAKE A TRADE BEFORE THAT BECOMES PUBLIC AND THEY ARE NEGOTIATING FROM A POSITION OF WEAKNESS AND CAN'T GET AS MUCH BACK AS THEY COULD RIGHT NOW SO THEY TOLD THAT REPORTER FROM THE ATHLETIC TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THEY WERE REALLY GONNA SIGN IT BUT MAYBE THEY REALLY AREN'T GOING TOOOOOO?!!!!!:eek::eek:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The canes board literally had a thread that was just pages of them making fun of how cheap Dundon is :laugh: and now they're all "lol he's a billionaire get real about us not having money"

As far as I can tell they really don't want to sign it but they really have no choice

Did you do a search of the word “nervous” in their posts? Sure comes up a hell of a lot for a fan base that is now basking in the glow of how rich they believe Turkey is all of a sudden.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

That is legit hilarious.

One thing that's certainly occurred in the past 24 hrs - wayyyy more people are aware of who Tom Dundon is and what a fragile person and sketch businessman he is. I bet he asked for all of Aho's sub-prime years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad