Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to Match part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
Montreal is not even the highest taxed city in the league. Taxes aren't an excuse. We'll never be a destination like the Florida's, California's or New York teams, they have a special advantage. I don't even care about those players, I want the players that go to teams to win, personally I think that except for location it's the most important thing a player looks for and Montreal just hasn't been competitive in a while. There's no way players look at our team and think "You know with my help, it'll really give the Habs a winning chance at the cup."

As an non native I am curious, is this is a common thing in the NHL - where players would pick a Club primarily based on the where they will live, rather than the prestige of the Club itself or said Clubs chances of winning the Cup?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Imagine the plot twist of it coming back around guys...

Some Habs fans (me) just want to watch the Canes World Burn for bluffing so hard and ridiculizing us. :)

And yet Jack everyone and their dog knew right from the start that offersheet was pretty much a complete waste of time from the Habs and the Canes would easily match. You're right though there was no harm in trying and no MB didn't lose anything trying it but everyone in the world knew it was pointless with the offersheet amount the Habs threw Aho's way. So maybe regular everyday NHL fans aren't as dumb as you're trying to make them out to be you condescending dumbass.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You're right, people seem to not understand that because the guy is WORTH billions, doesn't mean anything about his cash-flow.

Most importantly, it's not really about his own cash-flow rather than the team's...

I don't know a lot of owners/share-holders that would fork money out of their personal pocket to pay for employee salaries...

A number of posters were trying to argue that the front load was good for cash flow, because the back end of the deal was light on comp. These guys had it backwards but were convinced that putting out almost half the contract in the first 12 months was cash flow positive.

My takeaway? Few people understand how money works, net present value and opportunity cost.

Not suggesting they don’t match, they will, but don’t believe the BS Waddell and Dundon are peddling, this deal hurts them.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
This is what I find interesting about the entire situation is their letting their ego dictate future négociations with their players and this one included!

$20 mil? No big deal sign this stuff in my sleep

Aho and others are going to be wondering why they were so cheap to begin with lol

If he said oh not quite what we wanted to pay but we really value him and it’s worth it it’s an entirely different situation moving forward for trust.

Oh I agree completely, I would not want him as the Owner of the Habs he seems reckless and maybe even a little childish.

I just meant I really do think that while this signing might hurt more than he's letting on, there's no way he doesn't follow through with it.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
And yet Jack everyone and their dog knew right from the start that offersheet was pretty much a complete waste of time from the Habs and the Canes would easily match. You're right though there was no harm in trying and no MB didn't lose anything trying it but everyone in the world knew it was pointless with the offersheet amount the Habs threw the Aho's way. So maybe regular everyday NHL fans aren't as dumb as you're trying to make them out to be you condescending dumbass.
Everyone on the outside of the NHL.
THIS HASNT BEEN MATCHED

Reactions: sheed36

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
And yet Jack everyone and their dog knew right from the start that offersheet was pretty much a complete waste of time from the Habs and the Canes would easily match. You're right though there was no harm in trying and no MB didn't lose anything trying it but everyone in the world knew it was pointless with the offersheet amount the Habs threw the Aho's way. So maybe regular everyday NHL fans aren't as dumb as you're trying to make them out to be you condescending dumbass.
Everyone thought they'd match because it was low. But it didn't matter if it low because the only question was if Dundon would invest outside money. He showed he would and would run the team beginning at a loss. Simple as that.

I don't get why that's so hard to understand. Seems to me those fans are dumb when they didn't know the point.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
And yet Jack everyone and their dog knew right from the start that offersheet was pretty much a complete waste of time from the Habs and the Canes would easily match. You're right though there was no harm in trying and no MB didn't lose anything trying it but everyone in the world knew it was pointless with the offersheet amount the Habs threw Aho's way. So maybe regular everyday NHL fans aren't as dumb as you're trying to make them out to be you condescending dumbass.
*Insert Jack Todd's tweet*

You're proving his point, pretty much. The insult adds another level to it, well done!

Reactions: Mudz

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Until they fix this salary cap structure we aren’t signing any big names. The cap is very unfair. Montreal should have the most cap and every other team should get a cap percentage in relevance with the income tax in that city.

If Molson is willing to front load contracts like the Aho one that significantly closes any tax gap

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
A number of posters were trying to argue that the front load was good for cash flow, because the back end of the deal was light on comp. These guys had it backwards but were convinced that putting out almost half the contract in the first 12 months was cash flow positive.

My takeaway? Few people understand how money works, net present value and opportunity cost.

Not suggesting they don’t match, they will, but don’t believe the BS Waddell and Dundon are peddling, this deal hurts them.
Been sayin this since forever.

Don't trust everything you see and hear on television kids.
Exhibit A: Canes manipulating the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad