Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to Match part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Even a billionnaire might not have 12M lying dormant in his bank account. Most of their money lies in assets and investments. It takes a bit of time to turn investments or assets into liquidity, especially 12M+.
It's not a question of negotiations or revenge. It's just finance.
Nothing to see, but fun to speculate. I'm enjoying all this with popcorn in hand.
Shirley they knew that they had to write a cheque to Aho this summer though? Maybe not 12 but probably at least 8?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don’t see how waiting it out hurts the Habs, it’s not like all of the RFA’s are magically getting signed over this 7 day period. If MB wants to make another offer sheet, he’ll do it after this little “Take Warning :razz:“ shirade is finished.
I'm sure all of the RFA Agents are enjoying the week off as well. They would have to be crazy to sign during this week instead of waiting to see what crazy man bergevin will do.

10.4 for Point. Get it done.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I'm sure all of the RFA Agents are enjoying the week off as well. They would have to be crazy to sign during this week instead of waiting to see what crazy man bergevin will do.

They say he has the same agent as aho, and point said he wouldn't sign. Winnipeg has Laine and Connor. I'd look into that. Not centers though.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hypothetically what happens if the Canes couldn't come up with the needed cash within the 5 days after matching the offer to pay Aho his 11.3m bonus payment?

I know the Canes apparently can in this instance but what would happen if some other team couldn't pay the full bonus payment, within the time frame allotted, if another offer sheet structured like this happened again in the future.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Shirley they knew that they had to write a cheque to Aho this summer though? Maybe not 12 but probably at least 8?

You do understand that they pay 8 millions in a year it’s not upfront like the 12 millions dollars bonus he has to pay.

Huge difference and not covered by the team but by the owner (cause the team is broke)

There are legit reasons why this is dragging on and aho’s Agent and Bergevin knew them

Reactions: Drezilla

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
LIKE Waddell will be there, in a couple years,
LeBrun reports that Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon has given Don Waddell permission to try and sign a Canadiens' player to an offer sheet in the next couple of years if there's a guy he likes.
From his article in The Athletic:
"Believe me when I say this: I guarantee Dundon has already told Waddell that if there’s an RFA in Montreal the ‘Canes can go after over the next few years, he’s got the green light to do something crazy."
Just the word I like to hear as an investor! “Crazy”... “I’m going to do something crazy with your money!” Step right up!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

One advice
Don't f*** with Tampa.

Point is better to take a 8M deal in Tampa then a 10 millions deal here anyway.
But Tampa is a very nice place to play hockey unlike Carolina so if they choose to strike back, they really could hurt us.

Target poor and bad teams and/or boring cities for players, like Winnipeg, Detroit or Carolina.
Don't piss off teams like Tampa.

Reactions: japhi and Drezilla

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
One advice
Don't **** with Tampa.

But Tampa is a very nice place to play hockey unlike Carolina so if they choose to strike back, they really could hurt us.

Target poor and bad teams and/or boring cities for players, like Winnipeg, Detroit or Carolina.
Tampa can sign our RFAs to Florida cap friendly deals all day long. We can match.

There is no such thing as revenge offersheets.

If your GM is making deals to spite other gm's he should have been fired yesterday.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Even a billionnaire might not have 12M lying dormant in his bank account. Most of their money lies in assets and investments. It takes a bit of time to turn investments or assets into liquidity, especially 12M+.
It's not a question of negotiations or revenge. It's just finance.
Nothing to see, but fun to speculate. I'm enjoying all this with popcorn in hand.

You're right, people seem to not understand that because the guy is WORTH billions, doesn't mean anything about his cash-flow.

Most importantly, it's not really about his own cash-flow rather than the team's...

I don't know a lot of owners/share-holders that would fork money out of their personal pocket to pay for employee salaries...

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Could I get some clarification..if Carolina matches and pays they can't trade him to Montreal for a year? Or is it every team in the league for a year?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Fair enough i believe the last one to not match was penner quite awhile ago your not wrong
2007 and I am not a hockey historian by any means(wikipedia) and there have been some pretty big offers, why just take our own Shea Weber as an example. The deal which currently buys him the finer things in life is the result of a matched offer sheet that he signed with Philadelphia and Nashville matched. People are making it sound like Bergevin failed with his offer, he didn't, it wouldn't have mattered if it was max. Any sour grapes on Carolina's end will be resolved in a year or two when they trade their own player that signed it.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
One advice
Don't **** with Tampa.

Plus we have a connection with Tampa. You still need trading partners.
An other reason Ago was a good target was because who cares about Carolina really. They have 0 leadership.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could I get some clarification..if Carolina matches and pays they can't trade him to Montreal for a year? Or is it every team in the league for a year?

Canes have to hold on to the player for a year. They can’t trade him to anyone during that time.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Until they fix this salary cap structure we aren’t signing any big names. The cap is very unfair. Montreal should have the most cap and every other team should get a cap percentage in relevance with the income tax in that city.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tampa can sign our RFAs to Florida cap friendly deals all day long. We can match.

There is no such thing as revenge offersheets.

If your GM is making deals to spite other gm's he should have been fired yesterday.

Not if the de facto GM is the owner. Waddell is an empty vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad