Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to match Canadiens' offer sheet for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
That's like wanting to bash posters just for the fun of it. Yeah, since Bergevin doesn't do something nobody does, people were ready to point to Bergevin and him alone that he was weak 'cause he didn't OS anyone....And clearly nobody would have replied...well....what do you say about the other GM's? Yep, nobody would have replied that. Then, yes? How about he goes all in for 4 1st rounders? If the idea is that Bergevin matches the acquistion of AHO with a few other trades to seriously boost his team that would make everybody realize that we are suddenly contenders.....why wouldn't people like that?

Don't people realize that, FOR NOW, it's status quo. With some already mentioning that it's better to NOT do anything again...while I'm sure some of those people were saying...he better use that cap space now?

Is anyone really saying it's better to do nothing at all? I see people saying it was good to not make stupid UFA signings like Lee for 7x7 or to try and overpay Duchene to get him to sign here instead of Nashville and that just makes sense.

But everyone still wants to upgrade the team. The Aho offersheet was a good attempt at it and I highly doubt Bergevin's just going to throw up his hands on July 2nd and say we're going with the same team as last year. Bergevin is clearly trying to make a big move to improve the team and a lot of posters are acting like the offseason is over because it didn't work. There's 3 months until the season starts, people need more patience.

Reactions: Drezilla

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
This will cause carolina to lose fans...why would they?
They get a couple of pieces like Poehling and Drouin or something with a first round pick 2021 for future considerations? Add the 1st, 2nd and 3rd from the OS and that's more than generous for Aho.

Not saying it's the case, but it's possible.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Great, like many said, look like a PR move.

"See he tried" It worked well with you. He failed again and for now he only saved more money in Molson's pocket.

Yeah, no poster from Hf Board made an OS, what is your point ?

Back to the real world for a minute.

Aho and agent tell MB they're good with 8.5.

Bergy goes 10.5 and two more first rounders.

Carolina matches.

Word of 8.5 was enough gets out later.

No Aho to Montreal, and the overpay goes public.

Would this be embarrassing, or no?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Is anyone really saying it's better to do nothing at all? I see people saying it was good to not make stupid UFA signings like Lee for 7x7 or to try and overpay Duchene to get him to sign here instead of Nashville and that just makes sense.

But everyone still wants to upgrade the team. The Aho offersheet was a good attempt at it and I highly doubt Bergevin's just going to throw up his hands on July 2nd and say we're going with the same team as last year. Bergevin is clearly trying to make a big move to improve the team and a lot of posters are acting like the offseason is over because it didn't work. There's 3 months until the season starts, people need more patience.

Yes, I saw people saying to sit and that there's nothing good available. Might as well build from the draft again.....while probably finishing 15th because we have Price. And hoping Caulfield drops again. Though, in 2020, it's possible 'cause it will be a really really strong 1st round.

No, the Aho OS was not a good attempt 'cause it didn't take one full day before it was laughed at.

Now, yes, having said all that, I also expect Bergevin to do something. I'm expecting Gardiner and Ferland.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Official statement from both the GM and the owner is they will match the OS.
Sure "it's not over til they mail the paperwork" but they already said they would keep the Habs assets frozen for the week... so that's pretty much it.

lol that cracks me up, as if we didnt have 15 - 8.4 + 10% of the cap to play with lol
its day 2/7 of the deadline, and STILL tons of RFA's meanwhile

Reactions: Edgy

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Neither Shaw or D-Lo were competing with Poehling or Suzuki for spots. Shaw and D-Lo are wingers while Poehling is a center for one... and D-lo was always going to start in the AHL so he doesn't matter anyway...

You're rationalizing something. I don't know what but yeah.

And what position does Suzuki play?

If D-lo was going on waivers to the AHL, isn't it a really good move to get a 4th for him instead?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Carolina matches.

First, it wouldn't get out. But even if it was....do you trust it? And even if you do, we would have said that Bergevin had no choie but to go beyond to have him. And that in Montreal, EVERYBODY understand we have to overpay. Reason why Bergevin was so applauded for the Gallagher and Pacioretty deals.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010

Carolina matches.

No, why would it be embarrassing? We tried to sign a young #1C

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

Carolina matches.

No...they matched anyways in that scenario. And it would only be one extra 1st.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Yeah, but

I don't think Suzuki is ready, can Poehling play as a RW on the first line as a rookie ?

Maybe, we'll see in training camp. They both had good seasons in their respective leagues and a lot of people didn't think Kotkaniemi was ready before a strong training camp and preseason.

Reactions: Drezilla

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada

Carolina Hurricanes on Twitter

Carolina Hurricanes on Twitter

They're in a full out PR war campaign to save their asses from being exposed imo. Kind of like Trump with his propaganda and denying credibility as almost irrelevant or "Fake", including Aho and his agent's words to media. Except thats all they've done so far to actually doing it. They've/media has been saying since June and way early throughout the season that they would pay him and he is the least likely to receive an OS. Media spammed Marner, and the rest of the teams cap strapped as potential victims. Teams dont want to break the bank for Marner cause Leafs match no matter what. They have crazy amounts of money to do anything they want to meet cap. Buyouts if they have to.

Except so far none other but Aho received an OS.. The one with the least amount of income.. Habs on twitter today "canes announced they intend to match". MB refused to meet press cause they didnt match yet.

When the cards fall, that'll be the real story and we'll see who had the cards in their hand for this bluff. Its like Mtl invested 20 token pieces in this OS and carolina already had everything to lose in this pot. Look at how Dundons handled his business for the last 5 years, wouldnt surprise me one bit at all.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
First, it wouldn't get out. But even if it was....do you trust it? And even if you do, we would have said that Bergevin had no choie but to go beyond to have him. And that in Montreal, EVERYBODY understand we have to overpay. Reason why Bergevin was so applauded for the Gallagher and Pacioretty deals.

I'm not banking a penny on that never, especially in a culture that rejects the RFA avenue.

Everybody understands? One minute a second-rounder here is a gold nugget, the next, 4 first-rounders are expendable, along with 10 mil in a tight-cap world?

I dunno...have my doubts.

JackZap

May 7, 2009
I think MB didn’t go higher not to f*** with the whole RFA market

Carolina matches.

I think he didn’t go to 10-11 in part because he didn’t want to screw with the RFA salary balance. One thing to have one GM pissed at you, another for the rest of them to hate your guts because you just blew up the salary structure.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

How was it a good attempt? It got mocked and matched within 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad