Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to match Canadiens' offer sheet for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What is the purpose of all that then ?

Maybe their is something I'm missing(I did not follow the conversation since the beginning), but if MB think that they will match 8.5 or 10.5, why did he offer sheet him ?

"you never know" like for the playoffs ?

PR move ?

Another thing ?
It was done as a favor to MB's good friend, Gerry Johansson (Aho and Carey Price's agent). MB also gets his "we tried" excuse to appease the fanbase, and Molson doesn't have to spend any money. Win-win-win move for the Habs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
When it comes down to it.. it stopped us from signing Anders Lee and I'm grateful for that.

Another year rebuilding with the draft in Montreal, nothing wrong with that.

Are you serious right now? So rebuilding with the draft means finishing 15th? Are we always going to be lucky with the player we chose? By the way....who said that it stopped us from signing Lee? Was this completely denied by the Lee camp? And just before I hear, well of course they'd say that, the answer is....no? Yuo can totally say that you had a few offers but decided to come back home? Habs contacted Lee. In no way does that mean that if the offer sheet doesn't happen, that we sign him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It was done as a favor to MB's good friend, Gerry Johansson (Aho and Carey Price's agent). MB also gets his "we tried" excuse to appease the fanbase, and Molson doesn't have to spend any money. Win-win-win move for the Habs.

I said this the moment it came out. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

Bergevin is a loser

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
I would say I look forward to beating them on the ice, but unfortunately their team is better. Too bad.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What would be your plan?

Go all in, or don't go AT ALL. You want to build with the draft? Perfect. Trade Price. Trade Weber. 'Cause we won't always be lucky with the 15th to 20th pick. You can't trade then or their value isn't too high, perfect. Trade some youngsters for some immediate help so that you can content for the next 5 years.

Then, go back to the innovative way to improve, look for the Armia type of deal. That's innovative, and guess what...it works. Not like bogus OS.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Are you serious right now? So rebuilding with the draft means finishing 15th? Are we always going to be lucky with the player we chose? By the way....who said that it stopped us from signing Lee? Was this completely denied by the Lee camp? And just before I hear, well of course they'd say that, the answer is....no? Yuo can totally say that you had a few offers but decided to come back home? Habs contacted Lee. In no way does that mean that if the offer sheet doesn't happen, that we sign him.

Nothing wrong with continuing to build the draft...

What is wrong is how we are in no man’s land. If you’re going to build through the draft than just unload Weber/Price/Petry and do it the right way.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
It kind of seems like MB's friend is doing his best in the media to make sure aho comes to the habs the owner cant be happy about what hes saying

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Dundon is practising the worst kind of hypocrisy by complaining about the permissible act of submitting an Offer Sheet. What a prick.

https://deadspin.com/the-hurricanes-new-owner-got-rich-off-subprime-loans-1822129399
Karmas a bitch if this blows up on him.. But if hes good at ripping people off, his fortunes are realistically too powerful to overcome with this OS. He's probably gonna bite the bullet for pride and saving the look on the franchise, but either way he'll lose money or the player.

Reactions: Drezilla

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
It's a failed franchise existing only on the life support of profit sharing. They can't afford this contract, and it's a poison pill. Not toxic enough perhaps, but the fanbase doesn't exist in Carolina to ever make it profitable.

I suggested for Bergevin to negotiate further to sweeten the pot. There are picks, players and prospects that could still be added.
It is what it is, but they could afford the poison pill, apparently. We don't know that he isn't negotiating extra picks or players.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Go all in, or don't go AT ALL. You want to build with the draft? Perfect. Trade Price. Trade Weber. 'Cause we won't always be lucky with the 15th to 20th pick. You can't trade then or their value isn't too high, perfect. Trade some youngsters for some immediate help so that you can content for the next 5 years.

Then, go back to the innovative way to improve, look for the Armia type of deal. That's innovative, and guess what...it works. Not like bogus OS.

You won't always be lucky with a 3rd or 4th overall neither.This is stupid.You can rebuild on the fly, as Bergevin proved, since he retooled the prospect pool without trading neither Price nor Weber.Do the double strategy, don't sacrifice youth, but in the meantime try your luck wit haggressive move.If they dont work, you lost nothing.

Here's what the 3rd overalls and 4th overalls look like since 1990.

3rd Overall picks 1990-2018:

K.Primeau
S.Niedermayer
Rathje
Gratton
Bonk
AP Berg
JP Dumont
O.Jokinen
Brad Stuart
H.Sedin
Gaborik
Svitov
Bouwmeester
N.Horton
Barker
J.Johnson
Toews
Turris
Bogosian
Duchene
Gudbranson
Huberdeau
Galchenyuk
Drouin
Draisaitl
Strome
Dubois
Keiskanen
Kotkaniemi

4th Overall picks 1990-2018:

Ricci
Lachance
Warriner
Kariya
Bonsignore
Kilger
Volchkov
Luongo
Allen
Brendl
Klesla
Weiss
Pitkanen
Zherdev
Ladd
Pouliot
N.Backstrom (washington)
Hickey
Pietrangelo
E.Kane
R.Johanson
Larsson
Reinhart
S.jones
Bennett
Marner
Puljujarvi
Makar
B.Tkachuk

Sure, there are a few gems, but overall it's not as impressive as you'd think.Few of these players are franchise-changing.

Basically, what you want is a Crosby, and even if you suck badly you probably won't get one.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
What is the purpose of all that then ?

Maybe their is something I'm missing(I did not follow the conversation since the beginning), but if MB think that they will match 8.5 or 10.5, why did he offer sheet him ?

"you never know" like for the playoffs ?

PR move ?

Another thing ?

I think MB may have been pressured by Molson to get some results and get some talent at any cost. He may be playing his last cards and if the team still goes nowhere this year/miss the playoffs AGAIN then he will be gone.

That's pure speculation from my part but i wouldn't be surprised if MB is on his last miles if he fail to produce something this year.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
No one said that but there is not a single other OS out there and clearly there are players worthy of an OS, every bit as worthy as Aho.

I think this was MB's one shot at an RFA this season. He or Molson capped the OS when they got the nod of approval from Aho and his agent.

He or they did not act desperate and throw more money - and still more picks - in.

Guys like Button can try to click-bait their way through life with criticism, but 'Curly Joe' never made an OS of his own when he was a GM.

None of the critics have. Life in fantasyland.

Great, like many said, look like a PR move.

"See he tried" It worked well with you. He failed again and for now he only saved more money in Molson's pocket.

Yeah, no poster from Hf Board made an OS, what is your point ?

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I think MB may have been pressured by Molson to get some results and get some talent at any cost. He may be playing his last cards and if the team still goes nowhere this year/miss the playoffs AGAIN then he will be gone.

That's pure speculation from my part but i wouldn't be surprised if MB is on his last miles if he fail to produce something this year.

I, like many others hope so.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You won't always be lucky with a 3rd or 4th overall neither.This is stupid.You can rebuild on the fly, as Bergevin proved, since he retooled the prospect pool without trading neither Price nor Weber.Do the double strategy, don't sacrifice youth, but in the meantime try your luck wit haggressive move.If they dont work, you lost nothing.

Here's what the 3rd overalls and 4th overalls look like since 1990.

3rd Overall picks 1990-2018:

K.Primeau
S.Niedermayer
Rathje
Gratton
Bonk
AP Berg
JP Dumont
O.Jokinen
Brad Stuart
H.Sedin
Gaborik
Svitov
Bouwmeester
N.Horton
Barker
J.Johnson
Toews
Turris
Bogosian
Duchene
Gudbranson
Huberdeau
Galchenyuk
Drouin
Draisaitl
Strome
Dubois
Keiskanen
Kotkaniemi

4th Overall picks 1990-2018:

Ricci
Lachance
Warriner
Kariya
Bonsignore
Kilger
Volchkov
Luongo
Allen
Brendl
Klesla
Weiss
Pitkanen
Zherdev
Ladd
Pouliot
N.Backstrom (washington)
Hickey
Pietrangelo
E.Kane
R.Johanson
Larsson
Reinhart
S.jones
Bennett
Marner
Puljujarvi
Makar
B.Tkachuk

Sure, there are a few gems, but overall it's not as impressive as you'd think.

How about you compare it with 14th and 15th pick? 90% of the top 3 in the league played in the NHL and played a key role. What do you think it is for mid-1st round? Then, rebuild on the fly? As Bergevin proved? What did he proved? What did we win again with what Bergevin did so far? How can people say we proved something without the results? That is stupid.

Reactions: Garo

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
But he tried man. He tried. He's still a hero. He just bought himself a full year or having tried hard.

I do recognize he tried a gutsy move. Seeing that no top quality UFA is willing to come to MTL, he provoked the market. I applaud his resilience. But in the end, results is what counts. And today, we are not a better hockey club than what we were at season's end. We are even worse since we traded Shaw (which I feel was a good trade at the right time) and losing Benn.

More teams in our conference got highly better, again, it's the end result that matters.

Reactions: CH25

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Waddell can talk all he wants but the guy directly targeted was Dundon. Not him. The Canes are poor as f***..

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I actually enjoy seeing dindon giving up 21 millions! :laugh:

What a fool!
from the GETgo it was obvious carolina would match

but im definitely enjoying the fact they are in financial trouble internally, and even MORE so after the fact,
i couldnt give 2 shits about carolina and that franchise, they might as well be the tampa bay devil rays, and just all around annoying team for us the past couple decades

They think theyre laughing at us, yet we're laughing at them from the top of the cliff, financially and prestige wise lmao, casually sprinkling benjamins floating down to their outstretched desperate and begging arms (revenue sharing, but, my own image in my head lol)

i just love that machoism of all the "LOL thats the offer?!?!" while in reality in the coming year, theyre grumbling and all pissed off their credit cards are all maxed out, no more valet parking, expense accounts have shut down

laugh it up carolina, laugh it UP lmao

meanwhile we sit back on our insanely high pile of cash and re-grab the binoculars scouring for the next target lol

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
How about you compare it with 14th and 15th pick? 90% of the top 3 in the league played in the NHL and played a key role. What do you think it is for mid-1st round? Then, rebuild on the fly? As Bergevin proved? What did he proved? What did we win again with what Bergevin did so far? How can people say we proved something without the results? That is stupid.

Your logic is stupid.It's not about comparing it to 15th-20th overall.It's about seeing the actual probability of getting a franchise-changing player at very high draft picks level like 3rd or 4th.The probabilities are horrendous.It's like a 14% chance if even.Even guys like Niedermayer took years and years to become a real franchise-changing defenseman in Anaheim.The average value of a 3rd or 4th overall actually amazes me in how weak it is.Who cares about ''playing in the NHL''.You can sign weak or average NHLers on the cheap, no need to draft them.What you want is franchise-changing players.

So just try to draft as well as you can wit hthe draft picks you have, don't sacrifice the youth, and in the meantime you never know, you can get lucky in a cinderella run wit hPrice playing out of his mind, or you can get lucky and win an offersheet.

Decapitating your club just to boost your 1st round pick from 15th to 4th overall is idiotic and a gross, GROSS overrating of the value of draft picks, as I've clearly took the time to demonstrate.

Oh sure, if you get the 1st overall, maybe you get a Patrick Kane, or a Nail Yakupov, or a Sidney Crosby.1st and 2nd overalls are much better picks to have, I agree.But you're not guaranteed to get those neither, and if you do and miss out, you emptied your club for nothing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The reactions are gold!:facepalm:

It was a freaking gamble that didn't work, there was like a 5/10 % that they don't match.

Why is everybody so angry? geez...

Because it's Bergevin. If he didn't offersheet anyone, he has no balls and isn't trying hard enough to improve the team.

If he does and it's matched, he's a moron for not offering more, even though Carolina would've matched anything under 10.5 and possibly even over that.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The reactions are gold!:facepalm:

It was a freaking gamble that didn't work, there was like a 5/10 % that they don't match.

Why is everybody so angry? geez...

First, nobody is angry. Not sure how people can read through posts on a forum....But moreso, let's pretend we are angry, it's always, in this forum, way more directed at posters than at Bergevin himself. For me, Bergevin made a stupid move that I was convinced wouldn't work, it didn't. I'm not surprised. So not angry. Then, the Defenders come out full force saying HOW GREAT it was. That it was a GREAT day. That it shows how much guts he has. How he tried hard. And all that bla-bla-bla we keep hearing with no results. That's more infuriating than Bergevin move itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad