Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to match Canadiens' offer sheet for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I think MB didn’t go higher not to **** with the whole RFA market

I think he didn’t go to 10-11 in part because he didn’t want to screw with the RFA salary balance. One thing to have one GM pissed at you, another for the rest of them to hate your guts because you just blew up the salary structure.

Why can't it be because he thinks rhe cost is too high?

And what GM reaches an agreement on a number with an agent, then pads it by 2 mil' per, not to mention the extra firsts that would apply.

Who the F does that?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

Carolina Hurricanes on Twitter

Carolina Hurricanes on Twitter

They're in a full out PR war campaign to save their asses from being exposed imo. Kind of like Trump with his propaganda and denying credibility as almost irrelevant or "Fake", including Aho and his agent's words to media. Except thats all they've done so far to actually doing it. They've/media has been saying since June and way early throughout the season that they would pay him and he is the least likely to receive an OS. Media spammed Marner, and the rest of the teams cap strapped as potential victims. Teams dont want to break the bank for Marner cause Leafs match no matter what. They have crazy amounts of money to do anything they want to meet cap. Buyouts if they have to.

Except so far none other but Aho received an OS.. The one with the least amount of income.. Habs on twitter today "canes announced they intend to match". MB refused to meet press cause they didnt match yet.

When the cards fall, that'll be the real story and we'll see who had the cards in their hand for this bluff. Its like Mtl invested 20 token pieces in this OS and carolina already had everything to lose in this pot. Look at how Dundons handled his business for the last 5 years, wouldnt surprise me one bit at all.

Seems like serious backpedalling/stalling tactics to me if you match stop talking about it and pony up

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I'm not mad anymore but I was upset when it happened because we didn't maximize our chances. If you're going to take a swing at it, do it for real. We half assed it. It's sad.
Screwing up your internal cap, and your future young player signings doesn't really help them. He didn't want to sign the player at any cost and said as much. A bit of a have your cake and eat it too - but it is what it is. Low risk, high reward chance that didn't work out.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
lmao Dundon is such a clown. Even if it doesn't work for us I hope this OS ***** him up in every way possible going forward.
I bet they stated intend to sign then sat down with lawyers and see that MB may not of bid high but that contract is a $21 million dollar cost for the first year. This wipes out all their earnings without even thinking about their other players. There could be a lockout soon if it happens he could be in serious trouble financially with no revenues or revenue sharing. They also may have burned the bridge with Aho, he may ask for a trade next season and they pay almost half of his contract in that first year.

There is a crack in the dam, MB played it pretty good truthfully, even if they match this will not be smooth sailing for them at all. Aho appreciates Montreal more than Carolina right now and he may have made some friends with agents as well. I bet like others have stated Bettman is probably butt hurt over this, how dare Montreal play big dog he has set up the league for is embarrassing southern teams that can't support themselves on their own. They made the rules so stop whining that someone finally tried to use it to their advantage.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How was it a good attempt? It got mocked and matched within 24 hours.

It's not yet matched to my knowledge. Claiming you'll match isn't nearly the same as signing that contract.

Canes really can't afford it, especially just to save face. They should try to get more compensation from Bergevin, and claim a victory.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Seems like serious backpedalling/stalling tactics to me if you match stop talking about it and pony up
Waddel said "doesnt throw any wrinkles in the planning, in fact it works out better"....

How in the hell is that better? Straight up lie. Mtl made that contract design specifically to choke out the Canes. If the canes negotiated this deal, they couldve afforded it... But not as a front load payout plus all the other things discussed + things we dont know about that are on the contract that arent made public.

If hes lying about this, which he clearly is, really makes you wonder what else theyre hiding/lying from us. Imo They're just stalling trying to find ways to back up their original stance and sign him.. Even if they lose a ton of money from their pockets the next two years.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It's not yet matched to my knowledge. Claiming you'll match isn't nearly the same as signing that contract.

Canes really can't afford it, especially just to save face. They should try to get more compensation from Bergevin, and claim a victory.
They will not trade him, MB move on

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal's biggest problem has been poor drafts. You need good drafts and a good development system, we used to be the best at both and it's why we won so many Cups in the past.

Until we see results in the NHL, we can't say for sure, but their drafting has improved these last few years. And for their development, they finally took the right step with bringing in Bouchard.

Reactions: Drezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad