Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to match Canadiens' offer sheet for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
The reactions are gold!:facepalm:

It was a freaking gamble that didn't work, there was like a 5/10 % that they don't match.

Why is everybody so angry? geez...

Angry is a big word...

Because we still have the same holes and even more now that we lost Shaw (Not my favorite player, but still.)

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Also, the Shaw trade...Andrew was not having a whale of a time in Montréal. I mean, he mentioned NUMEROUS times that taxes and media coverage were a pain for hockey players (meaning himself). And he missed Chicago. I suspect the trade was more out of respect to the guy, who wanted to leave. It was not a hockey trade.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada

This guy is credible iirc. Same with Habs link saying the same thing.

I'm just confused as to why they're already saying it didn't work when there's no confirmation anywhere. Why not just say it won't work...

I must be going crazy.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The comments I see from Canes fans seem to imply that the Canes haven't officially matched because they want to stick it to Montreal.

Not only does this make no sense, but only a teenager would ever think that businesses worth hundreds of millions would ever act like that. That's totally laughable. They would dick around their star player and mess around with him because of some juvenile attempt at revenge?

I have no idea why they haven't matched officially yet. It doesn't benefit anyone to let this drag out, and it really makes them look like they don't have the cash.

Especially after saying "announcement that we will match within the hour" and 6 hours later they haven't announced anything that they hadn't already said moments after Aho signed the contract with Montreal.

Both Turkey and Waddell have been acting like salty teenagers since yesterday.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Your logic is stupid.It's not about comparing it to 15th-20th overall.It's about seeing the actual probability of getting a franchise-changing player at very high draft picks level like 3rd or 4th.The probabilities are horrendous.It's like a 14% chance if even.Even guys like Niedermayer took years and years to become a real franchise-changing defenseman in Anaheim.The average value of a 3rd or 4th overall actually amazes me in how weak it is.Who cares about ''playing in the NHL''.You can sign weak or average NHLers on the cheap, no need to draft them.What you want is franchise-changing players.

So just try to draft as well as you can wit hthe draft picks you have, don't sacrifice the youth, and in the meantime you never know, you can get lucky in a cinderella run wit hPrice playing out of his mind, or you can get lucky and win an offersheet.

Decapitating your club just to boost your 1st round pick from 15th to 4th overall is idiotic and a gross, GROSS overrating of the value of draft picks, as I've clearly took the time to demonstrate.

Oh sure, if you get the 1st overall, maybe you get a Patrick Kane, or a Nail Yakupov, or a Sidney Crosby.1st and 2nd overalls are much better picks to have, I agree.But you're not guaranteed to get those neither, and if you do and miss out, you emptied your club for nothing.

Wow, so your strategy is.....luck? And I have the stupid logic? Geez, what lists are you looking at as far as top 3 is concerned? Everybody but 1 or 2 would have been MUCH better than everything we chose for the Habs. Price our saviour was a top 5. Kotkaniemi, our next centerman saviour is a top 3. But somehow, top 3 isn't that important?

No you didn't demonstrate anything. You put a list down and your evaluation was...it's not the end of the world. Wow. Great analysis.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wow, so your strategy is.....luck? And I have the stupid logic? Geez, what lists are you looking at as far as top 3 is concerned? Everybody but 1 or 2 would have been MUCH better than everything we chose for the Habs. Price our saviour was a top 5. Kotkaniemi, our next centerman saviour is a top 3. But somehow, top 3 isn't that important?

No you didn't demonstrate anything. You put a list down and your evaluation was...it's not the end of the world. Wow. Great analysis.

My strategy isn't luck, it's to keep your youth, draft well, build a good prospect pool and young players, and stay on the look out to make your team better as all of this is happening.

It,s not really rocket science, but apparently for you genius rthe way t ogo is to sell the whole team so we can MAYBE get a 1st overall.YOUR strategy is about luck.Not mine.

I have patience, you don't.

And yeah, im aware the strategy wasnt in action for a long time even with Bergevin.But now it is.So i support it.

Anyway, I dont enjoy debating with you, so just ignore me and ill do the same.

Reactions: Drezilla

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Canes = "We will match within the hour".
Me = "OK, which hour are you intending that to be, then?"

They probably will get it done between now and the 7-day deadline, but for now......all talk and no action. I bet Aho can't wait to lay it all on the line for them next season, even with the straight-to-UFA deal he wanted but they wouldn't give him.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
How sweet would this be?

Dundon said that Aho said he wants to stay with the Canes. Dundon then said something like if that wasn't the case, it would be a different story. He then places the blame on the agent for all of this.

So basically, Aho needs to tell them he wants out. It's the only way this thing turns around. But I believe Aho wants to stay in Carolina. I also believe he'd like to play in Montreal (or else he wouldn't sign that OS). But his #1 priority is to get the deal he wanted. And whether in Carolina or in Montreal, he's the biggest winner.
He already told him during the "technical difficulties" in the conference call earlier:sarcasm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Because it's Bergevin. If he didn't offersheet anyone, he has no balls and isn't trying hard enough to improve the team.

If he does and it's matched, he's a moron for not offering more, even though Carolina would've matched anything under 10.5 and possibly even over that.

That's like wanting to bash posters just for the fun of it. Yeah, since Bergevin doesn't do something nobody does, people were ready to point to Bergevin and him alone that he was weak 'cause he didn't OS anyone....And clearly nobody would have replied...well....what do you say about the other GM's? Yep, nobody would have replied that. Then, yes? How about he goes all in for 4 1st rounders? If the idea is that Bergevin matches the acquistion of AHO with a few other trades to seriously boost his team that would make everybody realize that we are suddenly contenders.....why wouldn't people like that?

Don't people realize that, FOR NOW, it's status quo. With some already mentioning that it's better to NOT do anything again...while I'm sure some of those people were saying...he better use that cap space now?

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Theorically speaking, does anyone know what would happen if the Hurricanes were to fail paying the bonuses within the first year?
giphy.gif

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Lol i mean ... who's to say kotkaniemi himself doesnt turn into a PPG player in 2-3 years...its certainly been happening to every other highly touted finn... and kk went 3rd overall...

there's certainly a chance we might not of ever needed Aho in the first place at all if Kotka progresses the way we all think and hope he will

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
My god. And you say you don't want to engage in absurd discussions. You must be trolling. Give it up. He isn't coming here. He never was.
What did Bergevin say when asked about Subban? Remind me what happened afterwards? Yeah, thought so.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

This guy is credible iirc. Same with Habs link saying the same thing.

I'm just confused as to why they're already saying it didn't work when there's no confirmation anywhere. Why not just say it won't work...

I must be going crazy.

Official statement from both the GM and the owner is they will match the OS.
Sure "it's not over til they mail the paperwork" but they already said they would keep the Habs assets frozen for the week... so that's pretty much it.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Yes I'm serious. What's stopping them from saying "After taking to Aho, we have confirmed that he wants to play in Montreal and we respect his decision" for example?

Duchene, his agent and our brass said multiple time he wants to come play here. Did anyone issue a retraction? Did anyone go after Duchene and say, you said you want to play here, you can't change your mind now?
Wanting to play for City B doesn't mean you don't want to play for City A.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think losing Shaw just means an open space for a prospect. I'd rather give Suzuki and Poehling chances to make the lineup instead of keeping around Shaw or Deslauriers

Neither Shaw or D-Lo were competing with Poehling or Suzuki for spots. Shaw and D-Lo are wingers while Poehling is a center for one... and D-lo was always going to start in the AHL so he doesn't matter anyway...

You're rationalizing something. I don't know what but yeah.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad