Speculation: Hurricanes moving Skinner or Faulk possibly this time for real? (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That maybe debatable but the idea from some that he has negative value is a bit ridiculous IMO. Guy can score goals from the point and that is a valuable asset in the NHL. Add to that his contract isn't an overpay and he should have some value.

He has plenty of value. Very good value.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
And what teams would rather pay the price for Faulk over those players?

Faulk isn't a long term contract and makes less than 5 million.
If they want the way inferior and in 2/3 of the cases older player then sure. Canes probably want a young-ish top 6 center for him. If I had one of those as an expandable piece then I'd much rather target the other 3.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
wonder if Dubas can pull a rabbit out of his hat and land Faulk+Skinner without subtracting from our roster

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
**** no. We've been through this a billion times. EDMONTON HAS NO INTEREST IN FAULK.

However, I am all for Lucic + 1st + 3rd for Skinner. We get a fast goal scorer for Drai and the Canes get toughness and a veteran presence to play in the top 6. Something they wanted.
I mean.....I get you don’t want him. How the hell do you have any idea the team doesn’t?

And to the level you can bold and all cap it!? I’m doubting your “in” ness with the team to the bold and all cap it level.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I mean.....I get you don’t want him. How the hell do you have any idea the team doesn’t?

And to the level you can bold and all cap it!? I’m doubting your “in” ness with the team to the bold and all cap it level.
Here lemme change it for ya

OILERS FANS WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH FAULK!

Happy now sir?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Well

Two of our top five prospects are offensive RHD

We have no cap space so the prospects/picks route doesn’t work.

Assets with sigificant salary attached on our end ether have NTC’s and are coming off of bad years, or are worth quite a bit more than Faulk is, and I don’t see any bigger deals that make sense for both sides.

We can read a roster it’s plain as day that RNH doesn’t work regardless of what the + is on Faulk

No Edmonton media have mentioned Faulk’s name in a good long while.

Once Nurse is signed the defence has more than enough bodies

So I think we can pretty confidently say that Edmonton’s interest in Faulk is minimal. We’re content to go forward with what we’ve got for a PPQB.

Reactions: 780il

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well

Two of our top five prospects are offensive RHD

We have no cap space so the prospects/picks route doesn’t work.

Assets with sigificant salary attached on our end ether have NTC’s and are coming off of bad years, or are worth quite a bit more than Faulk is, and I don’t see any bigger deals that make sense for both sides.

We can read a roster it’s plain as day that RNH doesn’t work regardless of what the + is on Faulk

No Edmonton media have mentioned Faulk’s name in a good long while.

Once Nurse is signed the defence has more than enough bodies

So I think we can pretty confidently say that Edmonton’s interest in Faulk is minimal. We’re content to go forward with what we’ve got for a PPQB.
Imo it depends on the assets we are giving and if we can make the cap work. I agree that RNH is not going for Faulk, but if we could make the deal with other pieces, of course we'd be interested. We do need a Dman like him, and our prospects will likely not be ready. Even getting Faulk under the assumption that we walk away from him at the end of his deal makes it worth it imo.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Faulk’s NTC is far less restrictive than Skinner’s. Perhaps that’s why he didn’t bring it up in that thought.

That's possible. But a 15 team trade list (= 15 team no trade list thanks to Vegas) could still be quite an impediment. Another possibility is that there was one erroneous report of an NTC and a couple other sources picked it up and went with it (I've only seen it reported a couple times). The fact that the Canes and their beat reporter haven't mentioned it, while talking pretty openly about Skinner's NTC, along with the fact that CapFriendly doesn't list it, makes me lean towards no NTC for Faulk. I could of course be wrong; I wonder if we'll ever find out for sure?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He won't come cheap and isn't a great fit for the Leafs needs so I'd rather wait and see what they have
The Leafs can't really afford to be picky. Bottom line - they need help in the top 4, and Faulk is a high-end 2nd pair D with term. Who knows what happens in a year; Gardiner could walk for nothing and now you find yourself searching for a Faulk. Acquire talent when its available and shuffle parts around when you have the luxury to.

Reactions: namttebih

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well, Dermott could be ready for a bigger role.

Reilly - Faulk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick/Borgman

Still a fairly meh defense for a contender.

That’s why you don’t trade Gardiner in the deal. Canes could use a forward. Make a deal around Brown + Pick +/or Prospect

Rielly - Faulk
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Dundon is holding out for a package of players who make under the NHL minimum?

"Uhh, Mr Dundon, players can't make less than league minimum."

"We'll see about that."

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
With the emergence of Bear and Bouchard falling to us at 10, the chances of the oilers overpaying for Faulk has passed. IMO, the leafs make the most sense. They have the need, the assets and cap space to make a hockey deal.

Seems too obvious so it probably won't happen

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That’s why you don’t trade Gardiner in the deal. Canes could use a forward. Make a deal around Brown + Pick +/or Prospect

Rielly - Faulk
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

No thanks, unless that + is something really good like way better than Brown. We’re not interested in the Browns, Hymans, Kapanens, Leivos of the world. We need legit top 6 scorers, not the other guy who plays on a line with Marner or Matthews etc.

If you can’t give us that then it better be a frigging good package that we can flip for that with someone else.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With the emergence of Bear and Bouchard falling to us at 10, the chances of the oilers overpaying for Faulk has passed. IMO, the leafs make the most sense. They have the need, the assets and cap space to make a hockey deal.

Seems too obvious so it probably won't happen
but what about the conference factor? In the past, GMs have accepted remarkably less value just to send a good player far away so they don't have to compete against him.

Also, what assets does Toronto really have? The only compelling piece that a team could offer Carolina that we couldn't match is a center, because RNH is not available. I doubt Toronto is offering Kadri, so it seems like unless another team with a spare center emerges, a Faulk trade would just be for futures and depth players.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I wonder if Dundon is holding out for a package of players who make under the NHL minimum?

"Uhh, Mr Dundon, players can't make less than league minimum."

"We'll see about that."

Dundon has said that he's willing to spend but he wants to do so wisely. He's also said he that he wants to put his money on the ice. Picking up DeHaan to further bolster an already deep defense at $4.55m per seems to be a fair indication that he's willing to do that. But hey, you've apparently locked onto a narrative, don't let any facts get in the way of it! :shakehead

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Aho - Staal - Teravainen
Skinner - Rask - Williams
Ferland - Necas - Svechnikov
McGinn - Wallmark - Zykov

Slavin - Hamilton
De Haan - Faulk
Fleury - Pesce
Van Reimsdyk

Mrazek
Darling

I don't see any need for a trade just to make a trade. If Carolina finds good goaltending, they're competing for playoff spot. Which would be a fantastic way to introduce Necas and Svechnikov to a winning culture, in Brind'Amour's first year.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
A bit off topic, but curious what canes fans think the value of Victor Rask would be right now and if there is much desire to move him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A bit off topic, but curious what canes fans think the value of Victor Rask would be right now and if there is much desire to move him.

According to LeBrun at the draft, the asking price from MTL was 2 2nd rd picks. MTL apparently balked at that price. I’d rather keep Rask, at least until the team has an idea of Necas can do at the NHL level.

His value is probably somewhere around a 2nd rd pick plus b prospect. I’m not sure it really makes sense to trade him for that though unless Dundon really wants to be rid of his contract. Rask is a viable NHL C with 2 40pt seasons under his belt. He’s just coming off of a really bad season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad