Hurricanes Lounge, XXXIII: Danger Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We got some running on water, oats and hay.

gallery-1483977699-gettyimages-540682078.jpg

They are an environmental disaster though.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
And the panic-buying of gas sets in as soon as the news comes out and says that gas stations are running low.
It’s hard to quantify panic vs practicality. Did I need the extra half tank today? I did not. I would definitely need it Thursday afternoon as we head to the mountains (not so sure that’s a good idea), so I figured i was being cautious yet smart in topping off today.

and here we are. No gas in Holly Springs.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s hard to quantify panic vs practicality. Did I need the extra half tank today? I did not. I would definitely need it Thursday afternoon as we head to the mountains (not so sure that’s a good idea), so I figured i was being cautious yet smart in topping off today.

and here we are. No gas in Holly Springs.

I understand the cautious practical approach, particularly for those who need it to drive for employment, medical reasons, etc. my son now has a half a tank and will need to fill up in two days for work, so he’s going to be out of luck if he can’t get some in the next 2 days. I expect he’ll top off as soon as he can.

As I drove past Harris teeter though, I saw multiple cars filling up a bunch of 5g gas cans as well as their vehicle (not landscaping contractor types either). There’s some panic going on for sure as demand went up 40% over the past 4 days.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
By sheer dumb luck, I filled up early yesterday before this panic set in. I dunno how long it'll last me, but hopefully long enough for there not to be lines out of every station.
Samesies. I knew a thing had happened, but honestly I hadn’t read up on what that thing was and just by happenstance filled up last night because I needed to. Glad I did. People are stoopid.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
in my area of Durham, Gasbuddy only shows 2 out of about 50 stations with any gas. Raleigh doesn’t look much better
I had to stop by a Verizon store in Durham yesterday to pick up a new SIM card for my son's new phone and the 3 mile drive took me more than 15 minutes just to bypass all the cars in the streets waiting to get into the gasoline stations. What a PITA.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We are driving from ATL to Charlotte next week, where my newly vaccinated grandparents will finally meet their great granddaughter.

Mildly concerned about our ability to actually get up there.

They’re flying in from up north to my parents’ house, so it’s not really an “oh well, we’ll reschedule in two weeks” type of deal either. Going to have to be a very well planned trip lol.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We are driving from ATL to Charlotte next week, where my newly vaccinated grandparents will finally meet their great granddaughter.

Mildly concerned about our ability to actually get up there.

I expect that they will have sorted out this mess by the end of next week. Either with a work around on the pipelines themselves, or with a series of tanker trucks hauling gas all over the Southeast.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I expect that they will have sorted out this mess by the end of next week. Either with a work around on the pipelines themselves, or with a series of tanker trucks hauling gas all over the Southeast.
Part of the problem with tanker trucks is that during the pandemic when demand was low, many drivers (mostly over 50) were laid off. Some retired, some found other jobs so ~25% of trucks are idle with no drivers. I’m sure there are incentives and what not to address it, but it’s hampering efforts now

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Part of the problem with tanker trucks is that during the pandemic when demand was low, many drivers (mostly over 50) were laid off. Some retired, some found other jobs so ~25% of trucks are idle with no drivers. I’m sure there are incentives and what not to address it, but it’s hampering efforts now

Very true, got 4 apps on my desk from laid off truck drivers as we speak.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean they are working on a staged restart of the pipeline right now.

That said, I have barely left the house since the pandemic started. At most I've filled up the tank once a month, and just checked yesterday and I have 3/4 of a tank left. This shouldn't really impact me that much at all, as my only plans for the next week or so are to go to/from PNC Arena for games, but man... People are really, really stupid.

Seeing the pictures of people rolling up in their SUV filling up 5-10 gas cannisters just makes me shake my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad