Hurricanes Lounge, XXXIII: Danger Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
But, on the serious side, it is GRRM's world building, and I can't object to that. The regions have their own food, like they do have their own names.

Like for the stupid made-for-TV change to substitute Robb's Westerling bride with some battle medic from across the sea, the crux in GRRM's criticism was to point out that Jeyne is not a Volantis name (so at least change the goddamn name too).

This, could not watch the TV version.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Have plenty, thanks
Buy still. I have a childhood friend who nowadays owns two gas stations about 1.5 miles apart. It was mucho awkward when he ran out of gas at our old high school, right in between them.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You must skip a lot of this forum given our tendency to guide all conversations back to food.
Not at all! I love our food discussions/arguments. They're great.

But when GRRM does it, it just comes across like some sort of weird food erotica. For example:

“All the while the courses came and went. A thick soup of barley and venison. Salads of sweetgrass and spinach and plums, sprinkled with crushed nuts. Snails in honey and garlic. Sansa had never eaten snails before; Joffrey showed her how to get the snail out of the shell, and fed her the first sweet morsel himself. Then came trout fresh from the river, baked in clay; her prince helped her crack open the hard casing to expose the flaky white flesh within. And when the meat course was brought out, he served her himself, slicing a queen’s portion from the joint, smiling as he laid it on her plate.

tenor.gif

I feel like I need to take a shower.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The proper food etiquette is important for the hierarcical world-building!

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Or you could just make them eat Sloppy sloppy joes.. Sans fork.. No culture for you!!!.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So after the Red Bulls game me and my friend decided to go to Red Bank for an NPSL (4th and lowest tier of US pro soccer) match between FC Monmouth and Motown Celtic:
20210508_175910_HDR.jpg

Why was that important? If I hadn't I would've went back to NYC and likely been in the vicinity of Times Square around 5pm getting something to eat before heading to Grand Central to catch the train home.

Around 5pm this happened:

Innocent bystanders shot during argument in Times Square

Yeah...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So after the Red Bulls game me and my friend decided to go to Red Bank for an NPSL (4th and lowest tier of US pro soccer) match between FC Monmouth and Motown Celtic:
View attachment 431755

Why was that important? If I hadn't I would've went back to NYC and likely been in the vicinity of Times Square around 5pm getting something to eat before heading to Grand Central to catch the train home.

Around 5pm this happened:

Innocent bystanders shot during argument in Times Square

Yeah...

Jeez man that's scary, glad you and your pal decided to go to the other game.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And the panic-buying of gas sets in as soon as the news comes out and says that gas stations are running low.

By sheer dumb luck, I filled up early yesterday before this panic set in. I dunno how long it'll last me, but hopefully long enough for there not to be lines out of every station.

Reactions: Socks and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
By sheer dumb luck, I filled up early yesterday before this panic set in. I dunno how long it'll last me, but hopefully long enough for there not to be lines out of every station.

I got back in town from up north on Saturday and was on absolute E because I didn't want to stop one more time. Thankfully, I had to get dinner ingredients for mother's day so I filled up at Harris Teeter while I was there. I was down to 30 miles left.

My wife's car was just filled up on Friday and it's a prius, so she can drive a while on that. My son's car is about 2/3rds full but he drives a lot for work so he'll need gas in 2-3 days or he's out of luck.

My buddy said when he drove by a Sheetz, the lines were very long and people were not only filling cars, but loading up gas cans as well. That's the issue.

Reactions: hockeynjune
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad