Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Why is this thread still going?

The Toronto Maple Leafs aren't special. Since 2006, they've won exactly the same number of playoff series as my team has, and I'm a frickin' Blue Jackets fan. If this club wasn't located in Toronto, we would just acknowledge reality: They're not that good.

But since they ARE from Toronto, the idea that they have some divine right to be the center of attention lives rent free in their heads.

Reactions: BB79

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
I just find it odd how no one had a opinion how the ltir cup champs bowed out in the first round.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Personally, I don't see the Leafs as bad as some are saying. I think their management really has had a couple of stumbles when it comes to assessing team needs and filling holes. The Oilers did it for years and are still trying to overcome financial issues caused by mismanagement. (Lucic contract, Koskinen Contract, Nurse contract, trading Hall for Larsson, trading Eberle for Strome, then Strome for Spooner.....I don't have enough strength to type them all)

The Leafs have very good players. They tried to keep them all but when they gave Tavares the contract is handcuffed them everywhere else. The knee jerk reaction to moving Kadri.

This roster is good...very good.

I think if they would have just kept most of it together, they would have been better off. If they can offload Tavares, and or Marner and fix other holes, they still have great players that can contend.

....and I hate the Leafs.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Is Boston still bitching about Toronto? Guys, congrats! You won a playoff round against us in 2024.

But your team franchise sucks ass.

Again. You have 100+ history in the NHL, same as Toronto. You were in the league when it was only 6 teams...same as Toronto.

You could only win the thing 3 times in the first 60 years of your shit franchise's existence when it was only 6 teams.

Same as Tor...oh wait.

Now granted you've managed to win 3 more since then...so? Your average throughout your entire history is 6 cups in 100+ years. (see I don't have to cherry pick my history in only existing from 1968 and beyond like you sorry chaps...lol) I measure the success of your club throughout its ENTIRE history, and it's pretty clear. Yall are an original 6 team with only 6 wins in 100+ years. Y'all suck. Especially your first 60 years.

Now this is where it gets painful for you. Even if the Leafs stopped playing and just went on a skid for the next 100 years not winning anything...and we gave Boston another 100+ years to double up their cup wins...they STILL wouldn't have as many cups as the Leafs.

That's just history. ALL of history. As you should reference when you are comparing two original 6 franchises.

And yes I am well aware who owns this league, and it isn't Toronto and it certainly isn't Boston.

Anyways enjoy the rest of your playoffs, I'm certain you are gonna win it all...lol. But even though we are the center of the hockey verse...you should probably stop talking about us.
Does the history of the 06 era need to be explained to you? Of course Montreal, Toronto and lesser so but Detroit won alot of Cups during that era, the "availability" and rights of players was 100% rigged for those 3 teams to get the best possible players. It's almost amazing that Boston, Chicago and New York won Cups during that era. The fact that since the playing field was made equal and the Leafs have sucked ever since is the bigger joke. I'll come back when I have a moment and show you how pathetic Toronto has been compared to the other 06 teams.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(...)

Furthermore… Since you won your last Cup in 1966-67:
- the Bruins won 3 Cups, went to the finals 10 times, were the President’s Trophy winners 4 times (since 85-86, when it was instituted), and have been in the playoffs 49 times out of 56 seasons, a 87.5% success ratio.
- the Leafs won 0 cups, were in 0 finals, never won the President’s Trophy (until 2017 you only had a grand total of 3 - THREE - regular seasons at or above 100 points in your entire history. It was 103, 100 and 100 points, to be precise. Even now you only have a total of 8 regular seasons at or above 100 points, the Bruins have 27 such seasons), and were in the playoffs 35 times only (and your current streak is only due to you getting your team built via TANKING. Tanking is hockey‘s equivalent of being on food stamps, just to be clear), a 62.5% success ratio.

Still any doubt who has been more successful between the Leafs and the Bruins? I think not.
You WISH that the Leafs were like the Bruins: you know that and all Leafs fans know that. Just a look at your section of the forum shows that clearly.
About these 35 times they made the playoffs, it should be 34, as one year they lost in the play-in and thus, technically, they did not get to the playoffs.

Also, check these regular season records where they reached the playoffs:

1979-80: 35-40-5 (if you think that's bad, continue reading)
1980-81: 28-37-15 (yikes)
1982-83: 28-40-12 (yikes bis)
1985-86: 25-48-7 (yikes tertio)
1986-87: 32-42-6 (one of their better efforts)
1987-88: 21-49-10 (yikes bis squared)...

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The last time Toronto beat Boston in the playoffs was 1959.

Cassette tapes were invented AFTER, that's how long ago that is. ZIP codes were invented after. Birth control pills were invented AFTER the last time the Leafs beat Boston in the playoffs.

At this point, it's historic generational abuse. The level of rent free Boston lives in Toronto's head is like eternal mental subsidized housing. My Leaf fan friends are like trauma victims when it comes to this matchup now. And with the playoff format we just get to keep doing it to them.

Somewhere someone's grandma in Toronto remembers the last time the Leafs beat Boston in a playoff series. For all the rest of us, there's nothing but glorious outcomes year after year. And it feels good, even days later. No question.
To be fair, the Bruins did not make the playoffs (in a 6-team league) for the next 8 seasons following that 1959 win...

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Oh I'm fine! This thread persists and it gives me glee.

The maulding when I mention the prestige comparing the two teams has been highly entertaining!

Keep it up! I know you guys have the stamina to continue to talk about us well into the finals!
Hopefully you can find some relaxation on the golf course and possibly a path back to reality.

I wishyou the best on your journey of rec.

Reactions: Barnum

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Hopefully you can find some relaxation on the golf course and possibly a path back to reality.

I wishyou the best on your journey of rec.
Hopefully someday your team will hit double digits in cup wins...oh in about...100 years from now, give or take a decade.

;)

• Wow
Reactions: stampedingviking

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Hopefully someday your team will hit double digits in cup wins...oh in about...100 years from now, give or take a decade.

;)
Good to see you are single handily keeping the encyclopedia brittanica in buisness.

Nice to see the kids taking sucjh an active like to history.

Do they even have that last leafs cup on microfiche?

Or just those black and white stills?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Every year it’s the same scenario. During the season there are lots of threads discussing how great certain players on the Leafs are. This year they were mostly about Matthews and Nylander. Then come playoffs the Leafs bow out, like this year to Boston, and a bunch of of threads start about how to fix the club and what’s wrong with certain players. Imo the Leafs are very close to winning. They should stay the course.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
You know you're in deep trouble if prestige from decades ago is more important than success in this day and age.

It's like the loser guy in his 40's that still thinks high school was the best time of his life and hasn't been able to move on into real adulthood. It's sad when you see it.
The Canadiens have a rich history and legacy and the owners have gotten by on that for over 30 years now. They've been mismanaged for decades where I think their prestige was more important than success. When they put the whole language issue aside and actually hired the best people for the job to run the team that is a good indicator to me that they really want current day success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad