Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I appreciate the thoughtfulness. 7/7/1977 is a good date to remember in history classes.
It is mandatory knowledge in Finland that the Prohibition ended when Alko, the state monopol alcohol retail store, opened its doors on 5th of April, '32, at 10 am.

There are laws that our legislators have put less thought into.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It is mandatory knowledge in Finland that the Prohibition ended when Alko, the state monopol alcohol retail store, opened its doors on 5th of April, '32, at 10 am.

There are laws that our legislators have put less thought into.

I am sorry you have a company with a monopol on selling booze.

Reactions: Lempo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s funny how varied liquor laws are state to state, mainly driven by “who gets the money”. When I lived in Pennsylvania years back, the state pretty much controlled everything. You couldn’t even stop at a store for a six pack, as you could only buy from beer distributors and you had to buy a case from them. You could go to a bar or deli and get a “take out” six pack though. IIRC, all herd liquor and wine were sold at state run liquor stores. I think it’s changed since then, at least the beer part. I have relatives in Michigan and Wisconsin and back there, even some grocery stores sold the hard stuff, and In Wisconsin, there are privately run beer/wine/liquor stores every where, some of them were even drive through. Wisconsin was also one of the last states to change the drinking age to 21.

There is also a town in Wisconsin (Hurley) that has a population of less than 2000 and yet at one time had more than 100 bars, and I think still has 30ish. They like their beer in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I am sorry you have a company with a monopol on selling booze.
The high management of it actually have bonus incentive programs that pays them money if they manage to sell booze to Finns.

I let you guess which class of products quite hasn't been fully implemented to the EU free movement of goods yet.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
It’s funny how varied liquor laws are state to state, mainly driven by “who gets the money”. When I lived in Pennsylvania years back, the state pretty much controlled everything. You couldn’t even stop at a store for a six pack, as you could only buy from beer distributors and you had to buy a case from them. You could go to a bar or deli and get a “take out” six pack though. IIRC, all herd liquor and wine were sold at state run liquor stores. I think it’s changed since then, at least the beer part. I have relatives in Michigan and Wisconsin and back there, even some grocery stores sold the hard stuff, and In Wisconsin, there are privately run beer/wine/liquor stores every where, some of them were even drive through. Wisconsin was also one of the last states to change the drinking age to 21.

There is also a town in Wisconsin (Hurley) that has a population of less than 2000 and yet at one time had more than 100 bars, and I think still has 30ish. They like their beer in Wisconsin.
Ohio has the much beloved Brew Thru. Questionable to buy your beer in some cases literally on the go (I’ve completed the transaction on a slow roll before)? Perhaps. But the convenience factor, especially on a coldass days, was wonderful.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So this is a live orchestration of The Good, the Bad, the Ugly by some Dane folks.

It kind of will ruin or the very least change the "Waah, waah" for you for ever, so be waahned.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Living on the Indiana-Kentucky border - grocery stores and liquor stores on the Ky side basically more than doubled their usual business on Sundays, because at that point Indiana law didn't allow alcohol sales on Sunday. The flow of traffic crossing the Ohio River was impressive on what should've been one of the least busy traffic times of the day. Especially during football season.

When Indiana finally joined the 21st century that changed a little bit - but still people go across the border because A) you can only buy between the hours of noon and 8 p.m. on Sundays in Indiana, and B) you can't buy cold beer anywhere except a liquor store.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
Living on the Indiana-Kentucky border - grocery stores and liquor stores on the Ky side basically more than doubled their usual business on Sundays, because at that point Indiana law didn't allow alcohol sales on Sunday. The flow of traffic crossing the Ohio River was impressive on what should've been one of the least busy traffic times of the day. Especially during football season.

When Indiana finally joined the 21st century that changed a little bit - but still people go across the border because A) you can only buy between the hours of noon and 8 p.m. on Sundays in Indiana, and B) you can't buy cold beer anywhere except a liquor store.
Being from Indiana, I remember when you couldn't buy cold beer there, so we didn't carry Coors. But you could buy hard liquor everywhere. The whole ABC store thing came as a big shock to me when I moved to NC.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Being from Indiana, I remember when you couldn't buy cold beer there, so we didn't carry Coors. But you could buy hard liquor everywhere. The whole ABC store thing came as a big shock to me when I moved to NC.
Yeah that one caught me for a loop with the opposite reaction when I visited IU. Walk in to a grocery store to get some supplies and " I need this, this... Ok next aisle... wait... Why the hell is there a $200 bottle of tequila in a grocery store?"

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I grew up in CT and there was one grocery store we only went to on Sunday.

I spent most of my childhood thinking the last aisle of the store was under permanent construction because it was tarped over with garbage bags every time we went in. Turns out it was the alcohol aisle.

Wisconsin confused me because the hard liquor could be in the grocery store, but it required a separate entrance and a separate checkout. So you had a self-contained store within a store where you could get hard liquor. Makes NC look logical now that NC got rid of the ridiculous alcohol content restrictions.

Other big takeaway from Wisconsin was they have good beer, they are just incredibly stingy with it when you look at what is shipped to the rest of the country/world.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I grew up in CT and there was one grocery store we only went to on Sunday.

I spent most of my childhood thinking the last aisle of the store was under permanent construction because it was tarped over with garbage bags every time we went in. Turns out it was the alcohol aisle.

Wisconsin confused me because the hard liquor could be in the grocery store, but it required a separate entrance and a separate checkout. So you had a self-contained store within a store where you could get hard liquor. Makes NC look logical now that NC got rid of the ridiculous alcohol content restrictions.

Other big takeaway from Wisconsin was they have good beer, they are just incredibly stingy with it when you look at what is shipped to the rest of the country/world.

CT finally got rid of that Sunday nonsense at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad