Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This is probably getting too political for hf, but. It’s enraging to really think about. Whites enslaved blacks for hundreds of years. Then in the 1860s we have a war settling that. Only not really because we had poll taxes and Jim Crow f***ing over people for the next HUNDRED YEARS until the civil rights movement really took off. The MLK and Malcom X get assassinated anyway.

Now 60 years later we are still at the point where African Americans are looked at as the other and James Smith is exponentially more likely to land an interview than Jamal Smith.

This has been my SBA talk. Join me in the lobby for refreshments and unending nihilism.

Both political parties in this country have played poor whites against poor blacks for decades, because they damn well understand that keeping those people at odds with each other is the only thing that keeps them from uniting against the politicians.

They've done a far less effective job at doing this with the middle class.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Both political parties in this country have played poor whites against poor blacks for decades, because they damn well understand that keeping those people at odds with each other is the only thing that keeps them from uniting against the politicians.

They've done a far less effective job at doing this with the middle class.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1593567535613.jpg

One of my all time heroes. His latest book "Charter Schools And Their Enemies" comes out on July 7th, not bad for a 90 year old.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
YoutubeTV just upped their monthly price from $50 to $65, a 30% increase due to the addition of Viacom. Streaming options are dwindling for sports fans that want a decent price. I was hopeful cable companies would lower their price, but we got the opposite with many streaming platforms raising theirs.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
YoutubeTV just upped their monthly price from $50 to $65, a 30% increase due to the addition of Viacom. Streaming options are dwindling for sports fans that want a decent price. I was hopeful cable companies would lower their price, but we got the opposite with many streaming platforms raising theirs.
Which was always the likely outcome until someone comes out with an a la carte model. And the groups that own these stations are far more interested in either keeping them bundled together, or getting you to buy their own streaming service instead (Disney+, ESPN+, CBS, now NBC on the way). Basically it's either buy it direct or pay more for 80+% shit you don't and never would want. I'll wager, the usual bet Mortimer, that the direct model ends up winning in the next decade.

Personally the second that Fox sports offers one of these buy direct options where I can catch canes games I'm done with YoutubeTV.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Which was always the likely outcome until someone comes out with an a la carte model. And the groups that own these stations are far more interested in either keeping them bundled together, or getting you to buy their own streaming service instead (Disney+, ESPN+, CBS, now NBC on the way). Basically it's either buy it direct or pay more for 80+% shit you don't and never would want. I'll wager, the usual bet Mortimer, that the direct model ends up winning in the next decade.

Personally the second that Fox sports offers one of these buy direct options where I can catch canes games I'm done with YoutubeTV.
That and sharing subscriptions drives up the price. I would bet that at least 70% of all subscriptions are shared with at least 1 person/ group that does not live in the same household. The providers are factoring that in the the price because that is easier than cracking down on it somehow

edit: maybe excluding amazon prime

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That and sharing subscriptions drives up the price. I would bet that at least 70% of all subscriptions are shared with at least 1 person/ group that does not live in the same household. The providers are factoring that in the the price because that is easier than cracking down on it somehow

edit: maybe excluding amazon prime
Hell some even consider it a feature (Disney+, ESPN+)

Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We canceled cable back about 7-8 years ago because we were spending $200 a month on our cable and internet. Well, we're still spending close to $100 a month for internet and now the monthly Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Disney Plus sum is creeping up near $50 a month. Guess it won't be long before we're back to where we started on that expense.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
We canceled cable back about 7-8 years ago because we were spending $200 a month on our cable and internet. Well, we're still spending close to $100 a month for internet and now the monthly Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Disney Plus sum is creeping up near $50 a month. Guess it won't be long before we're back to where we started on that expense.
Same boat, but I'd just as soon pay more total if it means less of it goes to spectrum/time Warner. They suck total ass

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I always knew once every company decided to start their own streaming service this would be the inevitable result. Very little difference between cable and having to pay multiple streaming services, other than more choice and ease of cancellation which I guess is still pretty big to a lot of people. I'm still on cable and probably will be for the foreseeable future until all these streaming services sort their shit out. I do still have Netflix as I've been using it since the DVD mail rental days, and I have Amazon prime which I think I've used for their video streaming maybe twice.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'm spending about $55 monthly and that covers my Internet (4G - 150Mb in theory, 30-40 in reality), Netflix and Viaplay.

Also, I have got an alcohol problem: I have several boxes of wine (3 liters each) that are about to expire. Luckily I'm soon off to vacation, but finding the time to drink them all is getting difficult since I should be able to drive a car quite often. We might have to play rock, paper, scissors with the GF on who drinks and who drives.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm spending about $55 monthly and that covers my Internet (4G - 150Mb in theory, 30-40 in reality), Netflix and Viaplay.

Also, I have got an alcohol problem: I have several boxes of wine (3 liters each) that are about to expire. Luckily I'm soon off to vacation, but finding the time to drink them all is getting difficult since I should be able to drive a car quite often. We might have to play rock, paper, scissors with the GF on who drinks and who drives.
Trade in your car for a Tesla with autopilot. Modern problems require modern solutions.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
View attachment 352156

Anyone here tried the Alpine Coaster at Wilderness Run in Banner Elk? Trying to decide if we should make the trip sometime.

No, not yet, but I'm going to eventually. Where I grew up they had a couple of them (doesn't look like the same design) within a couple of hours from our house and we'd go a couple of times in the summer. Always lots of fun until the brakes don't work (happened to my brother at the end of the run) or you fly off in a corner (also my brother...unlucky fool).

Slightly embarrassed that as much as we're up there, I didn't know about that. I'll be hitting that up, at some point.

Don't be embarrassed, it just opened in March, I believe.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
No, not yet, but I'm going to eventually. Where I grew up they had a couple of them (doesn't look like the same design) within a couple of hours from our house and we'd go a couple of times in the summer. Always lots of fun until the brakes don't work (happened to my brother at the end of the run) or you fly off in a corner (also my brother...unlucky fool).

PERFECT TIMING

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

I remember riding something like that before when I was maybe 7-8 (Attitash in NH, I think), though, I'm fairly certain now that it was more like luge, but on a concrete course (this was more than 40 years ago). My parents were a little concerned that I might be scared since I hadn't ever ridden anything like that before. Those fears were promptly put away when I pulled up the brakes at the top & didn't touch 'em again until the end of the course. :laugh: Kinda freaked them out a little. That is, until my Dad thought it would be a good idea a day or 2 later to take me on a biplane ride complete with loops & corkscrews, which resulted in me slipping out from under the seatbelt into the floor. Mom wasn't thrilled.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I remember riding something like that before when I was maybe 7-8 (Attitash in NH, I think), though, I'm fairly certain now that it was more like luge, but on a concrete course (this was more than 40 years ago). My parents were a little concerned that I might be scared since I hadn't ever ridden anything like that before. Those fears were promptly put away when I pulled up the brakes at the top & didn't touch 'em again until the end of the course. :laugh: Kinda freaked them out a little. That is, until my Dad thought it would be a good idea a day or 2 later to take me on a biplane ride complete with loops & corkscrews, which resulted in me slipping out from under the seatbelt into the floor. Mom wasn't thrilled.

Yeah, the Attitash alpine slide was one of the ones that we went to as kids (and the one my brother had all the problems with). You are correct, they were basically concrete luge with a sled on wheels and a brake lever. The one in Banner Elk looks a lot less....litigious.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Now what the hell is fireworktv.com and why am I as a sponsor subjected to seeing their ad on my screen?

As a freshly-renewed sponsor, I might add.

(The order of questions may not reflect the respective importance of them.)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had a doctors appointment at 2. I’m supposed to be going back to work, and I will, but I’m playing hooky for a few minutes and came home to relax for a few minutes first. Shh don’t tell anyone.

Hey Socks just so you know I sent a screenshot of this post to your boss, he or she wants to see you in his or her office tomorrow morning, you know what time. Also he or she wants you to bring the Bojangles for the meeting tomorrow.
:D

View attachment 352156

Anyone here tried the Alpine Coaster at Wilderness Run in Banner Elk? Trying to decide if we should make the trip sometime.

I have not but make sure you don't get this guy behind you

View attachment 352240
Governor Cooper representin'

And this is why I love Governor Cooper.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Hey Socks just so you know I sent a screenshot of this post to your boss, he or she wants to see you in his or her office tomorrow morning, you know what time. Also he or she wants you to bring the Bojangles for the meeting tomorrow.
:D
Lol thanks for the heads up. I think I’ll preemptively call in non-Covid sick. But I’m nice so I’ll DoorDash them some Bo’s anyway :DD

Reactions: HisIceness

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I would like to say I watch NHL games legally. Absolutely legally.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad