Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I grew up in CT and there was one grocery store we only went to on Sunday.

I spent most of my childhood thinking the last aisle of the store was under permanent construction because it was tarped over with garbage bags every time we went in. Turns out it was the alcohol aisle.

Wisconsin confused me because the hard liquor could be in the grocery store, but it required a separate entrance and a separate checkout. So you had a self-contained store within a store where you could get hard liquor. Makes NC look logical now that NC got rid of the ridiculous alcohol content restrictions.

Other big takeaway from Wisconsin was they have good beer, they are just incredibly stingy with it when you look at what is shipped to the rest of the country/world.
Agreed on the beer. Though it's not so much stingy as it is they produce what they need to keep up with their demand without sacrificing quality. Any time I go to Madison I stock up on New Glarus.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I spent most of my childhood thinking the last aisle of the store was under permanent construction because it was tarped over with garbage bags every time we went in. Turns out it was the alcohol aisle.

That's Finland today. Grocery stores are only allowed to sell alcohol bewerages between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Some places actually have curtains on their alcohol shelves to be drawn down at 9 p.m. and they pull tarps over the boxed sets of canned beer at that time too. You kind of see the point though, because no one wants the altercation at the register when someone in thirst has picked up a daschhund at 9.30 p.m. and gets denied. Maybe the stores do it intentionally to underline the stupidity of the regulations.

We actually have got elderly people complaining about it in newspapers during the coronavirus era, because many stores have pacified their first opening hour (usually 7-8) for the risk groups to do their shopping when there are less people and everything has been freshly cleaned, but if you try buying a couple of sauna beers amongst your other shopping, they refuse to sell it for you.

Also, we just recently (two years back) got the 5.5% stuff released to be sold in regular grocery stores. Not surprisingly, that's the vol-% of class A beer products and non-fermented long drinks, the latter of which especially was a big seller in our state monopol store. It was a lenghty process.

... and it's kind of hard to tell them that "see, the world didn't end after all", because "sir, there still are many months of 2020 to go" is too easy a retort nowadays.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I grew up in a dry county. When visiting home, it still feels kinda weird to see beer and wine in grocery stores, an ABC store and folks enjoying their favorite craft beers about town.

We joke that the holy rollers are keeping a secret list of who they see buying and partaking.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I first learned what a 'dry county' was thanks to King of the Hill (the episode where Peggy has a birthday party on a train). I would have been about 16 or 17. I knew about 'Blue laws' but I always figured beer/wine could be sold anywhere in the ole US of A.

Some interesting 'dry county' facts:

-Only one county in NC is almost completely dry. Graham County only has the town of Fontana Dam (population 7!) that prevents it from being completely void of any alcohol.

-Moore County Tennessee is a dry county. What's interesting about this fact, this is the county that has the Jack Daniels distillery. So you're going to have THE Jack Daniels distillery, you're going to center your JD ads around being made in Moore County, and you are going to be a dry county, okay.

-Only 11 of SC's 46 counties allow Sunday sales of alcohol although some cities/towns are an exception.

Are we sure this didn't happen in Florida? Because this has Florida written all over it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Went to play some football with my teammates.

Associaton fooball is less p***y when you play it that level, for those who want to comment on it.

Went to the goal, because I was too hungry to run around.
And it’s like universe wants me in the net. I yielded one awkward goal, but otherwise I was stellar, while taking care of two balls that were wobbling on the line.

I might freaking switch to goalie in my mid-twenties.

Last edited:

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
Yeah that one caught me for a loop with the opposite reaction when I visited IU. Walk in to a grocery store to get some supplies and " I need this, this... Ok next aisle... wait... Why the hell is there a $200 bottle of tequila in a grocery store?"
I definitely miss Big Red liquor stores in Bloomington. I also liked that the stores set the prices and not the State

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In the category of “I can’t believe I didn’t know this”, Christopher Walken’s character in Joe Dirt became Gert B Frobe. Gert Frobe was the actual actor who played Auric Goldfinger. Walken played Max Zoric in View To a Kill.

years ago at a club med in Guadalupe, they had trivia every night before dinner and I cleaned up on James Bond night. I’m embarrassed I didn’t know of this connection.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In the category of “I can’t believe I didn’t know this”, Christopher Walken’s character in Joe Dirt became Gert B Frobe. Gert Frobe was the actual actor who played Auric Goldfinger. Walken played Max Zoric in View To a Kill.

years ago at a club med in Guadalupe, they had trivia every night before dinner and I cleaned up on James Bond night. I’m embarrassed I didn’t know of this connection.

I’d be embarrassed that you know the name of Walker’s character in Joe Dirt at all, but that’s just me. :sarcasm:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The stuff you can find on the bottom shelf at rando liquor stores and gas stations around here is wild. I bought this "Mellow Corn" whiskey last night. Straight corn whiskey, aged 8 years, bottled in bond, 100 proof. And this bottle had a pretty solid layer of dust on it so it's probably at least 2-3 years older than that. It's so damn smooth. 8 bucks. I'm drunk. It's Sunday at 1 p.m. What up

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

wait... this... isn't from Florida? I'm more confused than I've ever been

The stuff you can find on the bottom shelf at rando liquor stores and gas stations around here is wild. I bought this "Mellow Corn" whiskey last night. Straight corn whiskey, aged 8 years, bottled in bond, 100 proof. And this bottle had a pretty solid layer of dust on it so it's probably at least 2-3 years older than that. It's so damn smooth. 8 bucks. I'm drunk. It's Sunday at 1 p.m. What up
2PM and I'm already 3 beers in to the day and now working on Gin and Tonics. What's up bitches.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Now see, you're chasing that easy like Sunday morning feel good all day drunk. Nothing wrong with that, at all/

But I'm chasing that faceblasted, gonna-f***-some-shit-up, likely to have regrets, possibly injure myself and have to make apologies to multiple people tomorrow kind of drunk.

Which for me is rarer than it used to be, but

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Finally got around to seeing Hamilton.

FC870AF7-F721-41E5-963A-E253B337C743.jpeg

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I grew up in a dry county. When visiting home, it still feels kinda weird to see beer and wine in grocery stores, an ABC store and folks enjoying their favorite craft beers about town.

We joke that the holy rollers are keeping a secret list of who they see buying and partaking.

I grew up in a country where the question pf getting booze is complicated only before the 18th birthday and it’s still fairly easy.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Grant Imahara known for his work in Mythbusters died of brain aneurysma.
Life's been harsh on the busters of myths as of lately. Short time Build Team member Jessi Combs died a fiery high speed jet car test death recently and Adam Savage has been targeted by juvenile rape accusation by his sister.

The "obese man farts himself dead" myth they supposedly busted is plausible, though. I know a very obese man who was sleeping in his caravan and managed to have the gas alarm go off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad