Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It should not be this f***ing warm in February. Some people may like it but they'll change their minds when they find out this causes the bugs and the snakes to make earlier than normal appearances.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It should not be this ****ing warm in February. Some people may like it but they'll change their minds when they find out this causes the bugs and the snakes to make earlier than normal appearances.

IT’S WAY TOO WARM HERE AS WELL. FLU SEASON’S GONNA BE UNNECESSARILY ENTERTAINING.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I took the car to the mechanics because every time I braked there was a loud "cling!" from somewhere rear left, and a couple of times the brake on a tire had stayed 'on' heating the brake disk. They lubed up the slides in the saddles to the tune of 100+ euros, but the "cling!" was back soon enough.

Today I found an empty glass jar (for cucumbers), rolling loose behind the driver's seat and hitting the metal of the seat whenever the car swerves in any way.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I took the car to the mechanics because every time I braked there was a loud "cling!" from somewhere rear left, and a couple of times the brake on a tire had stayed 'on' heating the brake disk. They lubed up the slides in the saddles to the tune of 100+ euros, but the "cling!" was back soon enough.

Today I found an empty glass jar (for cucumbers), rolling loose behind the driver's seat and hitting the metal of the seat whenever the car swerves in any way.

Hah, years ago, a friend of mine had the same thing happening with his pick-up truck that had a standard/manual transmission. He heard the "cling" every time he shifted or downshifted and thought it was the transmission. He brought it to a mechanic, and the mechanic was honest and didn't charge him anything because it was a beer bottle rolling around under his seat.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
giphy.gif

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Did an Ancestry DNA test. I am:

89% Irish (specific areas cited are Cork and Tipperary (Muenster) and Tyrone (Ulster).

9% Welsh/English

2% Norwegian (No wonder Ole Gunnar Solksjaer is just about my favorite United player ever along with Keano (see above result))

As I often am, I'm late to the party. I did Ancestry DNA and 23 and Me both - some slight differences, but my Ancestry DNA results break out to:

50% English/Welsh/Northwestern European
20% Nigerian
12% Irish/Scottish
7% Beninese/Togolese
5% Cameroonian/Congolse/Southern Bantu
2% Malian
2% Senegalese
1% Finnish
1% Basque

The interesting thing there is that there's some French that should be there...and when you look on 23andme...

35.8% French & German
13.8% British & Irish
13.5% Nigerian
9.2% Broadly Northwestern European
7.6% Ghanian, Liberian, & Sierra Leonean
7.2% Broadly West African
2.0% Broadly European
2.0% Senegambian & Guinean
2.0% Broadly Sub-Saharan African
1.6% Angolan & Congolese
1.3% Broadly Southern European
1.0% Unassigned
0.9% Scandinavian
0.6% Spanish & Portuguese
0.6% Broadly Congolese & Southern East African
0.3% Native American
0.2% Finnish
0.2% African Hunter-Gatherer
0.1% Broadly East Asian & Native American
0.1% Indonesian, Thai, Khmer & Myanma

How does that compare with what you thought you were beforehand? I've heard of stories where people got results that were way different from what they expected.

Per above, the AncestryDNA results are still pretty damned baffling to me considering my mother (well, biologically my maternal grandmother) was French - like born and raised near Paris. The 23andMe results were much closer with what I understood from my family history, although the 0.1% Indonesian, Thai, Khmer & Myanma is something new since the last time I checked and I've got no idea about *that*. I wonder if it was a decision of, "Well, this guy's already a Heinz 57, let's toss in some random stuff and see what happens. We gotta whittle away that 1% unassigned somehow!"

Or "Hey, your DNA matches that of a perp in an unsolved crime from 15 years ago. Not an exact match, but it has to be a cousin or uncle!"

That's pretty much exactly how they caught the guy accused of being the Golden State Killer

My wife is adopted and has little to no knowledge of her birth parents. She often thinks about taking one of these DNA tests, but hasn't done it yet because she's afraid of "a story that doesn't go well" aspect.

Close to me too. My birth mother gave me up early to her parents who, in turn, adopted me. No clue about my birth father's side of the family, or to be fair, even who that might be. I'm honestly constantly curious if I'll get a notification one day of a new DNA relative and it turns out to be him. Meanwhile I've been trying to convince my wife to do one but she's reluctant for the "story that doesn't go well" aspect if she were to find something that'd be some bombshell revelation.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Anybody else without power? When I lived in North Hills we lost power maybe once or twice the entire 17 years. Now, first storm and bang.

Nice greeting after a week on the road. Pilots timed it so we landed right after the front swept thru.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

5 miles from me...

tornado 12 miles from the house...

crazy day

Indeed it was. Trees down, flooding everywhere.

I looked outside around 11:30 and the skies were dark. I'm talking dark like the night, I've never seen dark skies like that in the daylight.

Heard a tornado was reported near Quail Hollow CC.

Anybody else without power? When I lived in North Hills we lost power maybe once or twice the entire 17 years. Now, first storm and bang.

Nice greeting after a week on the road. Pilots timed it so we landed right after the front swept thru.

Came home to no power. 0/10 would not recommend.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
The Pineville tornado formed on the one side of my building and touched down on the other. We somehow didn’t lose power. My idiot boss stayed on the phone conducting business with a customer. Today was interesting.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hate the real videos on the internet. They got unexpected stuff happening. You expect some clicheic-scripted-comedy-kind-of-stuff, but then the reality refuses to cooperate and rings you around the ear.

Reactions: DaveG

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh

Reminds me of this:

ZAPzjrE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad