Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Did an Ancestry DNA test. I am:

89% Irish (specific areas cited are Cork and Tipperary (Muenster) and Tyrone (Ulster).

9% Welsh/English

2% Norwegian (No wonder Ole Gunnar Solksjaer is just about my favorite United player ever along with Keano (see above result))
See, with a name like Sabre, I would have thought that you were French. Oh, well.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
How does that compare with what you thought you were beforehand? I've heard of stories where people got results that were way different from what they expected.
I’ve heard about people who do those DNA tests and get some pretty awesome surprises .... “hey guess what, you’ve got three half sisters! Right around your age too!”

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’ve heard about people who do those DNA tests and get some pretty awesome surprises .... “hey guess what, you’ve got three half sisters! Right around your age too!”

Or "Hey, your DNA matches that of a perp in an unsolved crime from 15 years ago. Not an exact match, but it has to be a cousin or uncle!"

My dad sent me a story from his local newspaper about a guy that was adopted many years back, but was looking for his birth mother and father. He found his birth mother who was deceased and thought her husband must be the father. A few years later, he did a 23 and me test, and low and behold, the guy he thought was his birth father was not (but the mother was his birth mother). The DNA matched a woman living in my home town, who happened to be a high school classmate of mine (the half sister thing you mention). They got in touch and low and behold, her father was indeed the father of this guy as well, but he was completely unaware he fathered a child with this other woman. Apparently, he (the father) went to some festival when he was 18 the weekend before he went in the military and met a girl (the birth mother). He was never made aware that she was pregnant, had the baby and gave it up for adoption so it was a complete surprise to him.

The family welcomed him with open arms and he is a dead ringer for his birth father. Cool story that turned out well.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We just had a case like this in the news. A guy did the test, found out that he has (at least) nine siblings. They all were artificially inseminated with donator sperm. The legislation at the time was such that the identity of the donator won't be revealed to them.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Have two different college friends who took it and found out the father that raised them wasn't their biological father. Both had no clue that would be the finding. It was very unsettling for them to say the least. One friend's parents are deceased so she couldn't get the story of what happened.

What was wild is one of them had stated for years that her sister just had to be adopted because she was so different than herself and her supposed parents in looks and demeanor when, in fact, she was their actual daughter. The podcast Family Secrets has some bizarre tales about this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Did an Ancestry DNA test. I am:

89% Irish (specific areas cited are Cork and Tipperary (Muenster) and Tyrone (Ulster).

9% Welsh/English

2% Norwegian (No wonder Ole Gunnar Solksjaer is just about my favorite United player ever along with Keano (see above result))

100% that bitch

Reactions: DaveG

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I think she's more worried they'll be bat**** crazy.

Or....maybe she is the child of an heiress forced to give up a baby conceived out of wedlock and is now being sought after to inherit the family fortune. Sure, a child conceived at a Greatful Dead concert is more likely but is that really looking at the world like Brian would want you to?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So yeah... my winter gear to go includes a balaclava that I wear under my winter cap. But yesterday, when coming inside from doing outdoor stuff, I somehow managed to misplace the balaclava. I have been greatly agitated over it just vanishing and not being anywhere I could imagine to put it after taking it off.

Ten minutes back I happened to glimpse at a mirror and realized that it's around my neck and I've been wearing it as a tube skarf of sort for the past 24 hours.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So yeah... my winter gear to go includes a balaclava that I wear under my winter cap. But yesterday, when coming inside from doing outdoor stuff, I somehow managed to misplace the balaclava. I have been greatly agitated over it just vanishing and not being anywhere I could imagine to put it after taking it off.

Ten minutes back I happened to glimpse at a mirror and realized that it's around my neck and I've been wearing it as a tube skarf of sort for the past 24 hours.

a-4.jpg

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's the Brexit day.

Our biggest paper is not so very subtle in their article in wishing of "Goodbye Britain".

45284658ca1a4ff794913d7514fc5857.gif

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The family welcomed him with open arms and he is a dead ringer for his birth father. Cool story that turned out well.
My family had a cool 23 and me story too. Long story short, we found a long lost cousin halfway across the country after a relative ~70 years ago moved out west and put our cousin up for adoption because the mom was young and couldn’t take care of this cousin. Turn to present and that cousin wants to learn more about her family and my dad wants to learn about our genealogy. Suddenly the pieces start fitting together and we put together a reunion so the cousin can meet all of her “new” family

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
My family had a cool 23 and me story too. Long story short, we found a long lost cousin halfway across the country after a relative ~70 years ago moved out west and put our cousin up for adoption because the mom was young and couldn’t take care of this cousin. Turn to present and that cousin wants to learn more about her family and my dad wants to learn about our genealogy. Suddenly the pieces start fitting together and we put together a reunion so the cousin can meet all of her “new” family
my friend who lives in my house in Raleigh has a somewhat similar story, though the 23 and me part was a bit of a smaller part of the whole thing. the gist of it is, she did some DNA tests and asked around to her grandmother about why she never met her dad, only to find out that her biological father had knocked up her mom and then completely cut her off and left her to fend for herself.

so she did some digging, somehow got the name of her bio dad and started looking all over for him. well, turns out, he had later married another woman and had a whole different set of kids. so after all these years, she had a secret family full of half-siblings. and where did they live? well, about 10 minutes walk away from my apartment in Toronto. so she got in touch with the half siblings and other aunts, uncles, and cousins. her bio dad still doesn't want to talk to her, so she's doing this all on her own. (I'm sensing a theme developing with this man)

so now she's coming up here in March for a family reunion, where everyone at the reunion will have known everyone else for 35+ years except for her, who will be meeting everyone for the first time. kind of crazy how it all shook out.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled DNA talk but snow is falling in Charlotte. I repeat, snow is falling in Charlotte.

Will the city survive the great snowmaggedon? Tune in tonight to find out.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ridiculous. We too got snow only yesterday. There's been slight occasional snowing in this winter, but it has melted away. And the temperature is and has been around and above zero celsius, so even this snow probably won't stay as the soil isn't cold.

Reactions: HisIceness

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Update. The snow quickly turned into rain after about 10 minutes. Unfortunately the city of Charlotte did not make it, everyone has died except me. Please send help.
Sounds like a Sodom and Gomorrah type of situation... we can't get tangled with that stuff.

Reactions: HisIceness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad