Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
On the one hand, we can increase our household income by 30% while moving to a town with roughly the same cost of living, and she can move up the ladder and get a better and likely more fulfilling job.

On the other hand, we have to pull the kids out of their schools, leave behind our church, our awesome neighbors, a home we love, her sister/mother/aunt and other extended family, fix up our house so it can be sold, live cheaply while we are having to pay rent on a condo/townhouse and still paying the mortgage/utilities, etc. on the old house, sell the old house, buy a new house, find new schools and a new church, find babysitters and daycare, move ****ing again from the rental to the new house in 6 months if we're lucky, find new places to get a haircut and get the oil changed in the car and every other goddamned thing under the sun.

I want her to be happy and have the chance to advance her career but jesus, I don't know if I can start all over again, again.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
30% get your blood flowing, or y’all doing just fine? That’s the big thing.

Without giving specific numbers, it's a big enough jump that we could use the difference to buy a nice house and have it paid off in 5 to 7 years while maintaining our current standard of living. That's the real temptation.

My heart is really where we are now, and hers too I think, but the math says go go go

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Without giving specific numbers, it's a big enough jump that we could use the difference to buy a nice house and have it paid off in 5 to 7 years while maintaining our current standard of living. That's the real temptation.

My heart is really where we are now, and hers too I think, but the math says go go go
How far of a relocation are we talking about?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

I moved for a promotion—not so much for the income as I had already turned down one offer. My manager/mentor said you didn't get three. So against my best judgment I moved my family away from a great situation close to family, a church that was a social center for all of us, and a place I had loved for two decades (the Triangle).

It has turned out better than my best hopes. The co-workers are just as good, my spouse has found both a great career and discovered she can write fiction. The children are thriving. We are much more adaptable than we think.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
68877747_2172986989666821_3684975965944938496_n.jpg

I don't understand the connection, and yet, it seems perfectly accurate.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
My grandmother worked at the NC Baptist State Convention building in Cary. I haven't stepped foot in that building since her retirement some 15-20 years ago but holy hell that picture above reminds me of the place. That ugly wood-panel wall shit was in every hallway and every office.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
4 hours - from Western Ky to Indianapolis

I had a good friend who lived in Indy and absolutely loved it. Said it was sort of the hidden gem of the mid-west. I also believe that St. Elmo Steak House is one of the premier steak house's in the country....but good luck with the decision. I know these things are tough.

I grew up in an era where families moved to where the lead spouse's job was (my father in this case, even though my mom was a pharmacist). When my brother's and I got out of college we each went our separate ways for jobs as well. It feels like there's less of an appetite for this these days. All I can say is my life is/was richer for the experiences.

68877747_2172986989666821_3684975965944938496_n.jpg

I don't understand the connection, and yet, it seems perfectly accurate.

QTD for truth.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We actually lived near Indy back around 8 years ago, so I'm familiar with it. Not a hard sell in that regard. It's mostly about leaving her mom and sister and all our friends, our support system. Family is irreplaceable and really good friends are damn near it. Right now if I needed a babysitter on zero notice I'd have one within a minute or two. It's easy to take that stuff for granted and I know from experience when you don't have it, things are so much harder.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Once when I was flying to Chicago the planes route took us over Indianapolis. I'm pretty sure I saw Peyton Manning while looking out the window, Reggie Miller too perhaps.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm hoping this move/downsizing we are going through is our last, but if it isn't, the next one will be easy. We moved a lot over the years and this is the first time we've ever been in a house more than 4 years and we've been in this one for 15 so we accumulated lots of stuff. Our new house will have no crawlspace, almost no attic space and and a smaller garage. We really have no choice but to get rid of 75% of what we own and the new house won't have any space to accumulate "stuff".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad