Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'll believe an Elon Musk announcement well after it's actually been launched.

ea4.png

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah, his dates are notoriously optimistic, but he has "launched" 180 of the satellites so far.

Being a network engineer, I'll be curious to see the details of the roll out and what the real world performance is like. The biggest challenge with Satellite internet is the latency between satellite and earth transceiver. Apparently, with Starlink the sats will be much closer to earth and provide much lower round trip time for packets. 600 ms is average for 1 packet of data with today's sats, starlink is touting 25-30 ms.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Being a network engineer, I'll be curious to see the details of the roll out and what the real world performance is like. The biggest challenge with Satellite internet is the latency between satellite and earth transceiver. Apparently, with Starlink the sats will be much closer to earth and provide much lower round trip time for packets. 600 ms is average for 1 packet of data with today's sats, starlink is touting 25-30 ms.
Yeah, LEO is a huge advantage here compared to the other systems. Orbits in the ~200 mile range are much better than those higher up. Of course, that is why he needs so damn many satellites to make it work.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

They also provide an excellent physical shield against space invasion.

Even if that jump is 25-30ms, is that fast enough for more latency intensive things (online gaming in particular). Wouldn’t every other hop it has to make push that into the 50ms range (you’d know better than I)? Most online gamers would not love that being their best possible ping.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
They also provide an excellent physical shield against space invasion.

Even if that jump is 25-30ms, is that fast enough for more latency intensive things (online gaming in particular). Wouldn’t every other hop it has to make push that into the 50ms range (you’d know better than I)? Most online gamers would not love that being their best possible ping.

Several factors, but theoretically if they were able to deliver on initial estimate of 25-30 ms I would think latency for most games would be acceptable especially AAA titles since they'll likely have servers all over the place. I have a fiber connection, and occasionally play games like MW. Typically my ping time is 40-45 ms (for that particular game's servers) and I never experience lag. It's going to depend on where the gateway you're hitting is situated on earth (after it makes the hop over the sat link), and from there what server it hits.

If Musk/SpaceX is serious about making this work, details like this should be factored in. He's a gamer himself actually.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Several factors, but theoretically if they were able to deliver on initial estimate of 25-30 ms I would think latency for most games would be acceptable especially AAA titles since they'll likely have servers all over the place. I have a fiber connection, and occasionally play games like MW. Typically my ping time is 40-45 ms (for that particular game's servers) and I never experience lag. It's going to depend on where the gateway you're hitting is situated on earth (after it makes the hop over the sat link), and from there what server it hits.

If Musk/SpaceX is serious about making this work, details like this should be factored in. He's a gamer himself actually.

I feel like I'm young enough that I should know what you guys are talking about; but I don't....

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A 4 month old that doesn't sleep has put a massive dent in my post count... while at the same time increasing my snarkiness level.

It has gotten a bit boring around here though, it's like the positivity of the team has left the fun posters with less content to post.
I understand this is the usual criticism against Dante's Divina Commedia... Paradiso is the boring part because what's you're going to do expect tell how folks you meet are still even more blissful on the next sphere of Heaven while orbiting to the other direction.

Inferno and Purgatorio is where it's at and where the writer really can let go with sadomasochistic inventiveness while calling out people he doesn't like.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I understand this is the usual criticism against Dante's Divina Commedia... Paradiso is the boring part because what's you're going to do expect tell how folks you meet are still even more blissful on the next sphere of Heaven while orbiting to the other direction.

Inferno and Purgatorio is where it's at and where the writer really can let go with sadomasochistic inventiveness while calling out people he doesn't like.
The English major in me just got a literature bone-r.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
What a bummer. Apparently he'd been sick for a while but kept it mostly private. Put up barriers to keep himself intact.

I knew something was probably up when they announced he was done drumming, but at the time I think they announced it as tendon/nerve issues.

Last edited:

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

What a bummer. Apparently he'd been sick for a while but kept it mostly private. Put up barriers to keep himself intact.

I knew something was probably up when they announced he was done drumming, but at the time I think they announced it as tendon/nerve issues.

That really sucks. One of my favorite musicians.

The wife met Geddy & Neil back in ‘99 while in NYC spending time with her sister & brother-in-law (who’s very good friends with Geddy). It was pretty cool for her. And yes, I was very jealous.

RIP Neil.

Reactions: Unsustainable

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I can't sleep. Tell me a bedtime story.

No, legit, I'm up cuz the country soul food restaurant is up in flames and they're tearing apart a two story, brick building to contain the flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad