Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
So I'm starting a Murphy bed this weekend. We're losing our guest room once our second baby is born in January, so this will let us put people in the play room (formerly my man cave).

Been dabbling in woodworking for the past year or so. It may or may not be the most ambitious project I've taken on, but it's certainly the most expensive and it'll be my first piece of furniture.

:hyper:

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The USMNT just lost to Canada. The last time Canada beat the US was 1985, Canada has a grand total of 1 World Cup appearance. This comes almost 2 years to the day that the squad failed to qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not really a soccer fan but I know many of you are, shouldn't the USMNT be better than this? Perhaps the US should let some other country host the 2026 Cup.

THERE IS GOING TO BE WORLDS IN QATAR IN THE CYCLE BEFORE THAT.

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO DO FINE.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
So I'm starting a Murphy bed this weekend. We're losing our guest room once our second baby is born in January, so this will let us put people in the play room (formerly my man cave).

Been dabbling in woodworking for the past year or so. It may or may not be the most ambitious project I've taken on, but it's certainly the most expensive and it'll be my first piece of furniture.

I want pictures when you're done. I've always wanted to get more into woodworking just can't really justify buying a table and miter saw. Would love to build tables and other furniture.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I want pictures when you're done. I've always wanted to get more into woodworking just can't really justify buying a table and miter saw. Would love to build tables and other furniture.
You got it. I don't think it's going to be done this weekend, but I'm hoping to get all the panels cut down and pre-finished this weekend and then assemble it next weekend.

I justify woodworking tool purchases the same way I justify all my other tools - they pay for themselves upfront in the money you save by not hiring someone to do the job, and then they save you a bunch of money every time you need them after that.

I've got the miter saw I wanted, but not a table saw yet. The deal was if my parents split the cost of it with my wife for my birthday last year, I'd make this Pinterest-y mountainscape for their new place in Banner Elk (they saw something like it at a craft fair and wanted it). That's been my most ambitious project to date, but I have others planned as well.

I still need to build a workbench, but since space is limited, I'm leaning towards one of those flip-top setups that can handle several tools in one unit. So I'm holding off on the bench until I pick out a table saw for it. Also, I have a toddler, so time is just as limited as space.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_140144.jpg
    IMG_20190317_140144.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

That’s great! I’ve been woodworking for over 20 years (as a hobby). Most recently did a bed, dresser and 2 night stands. I also plan on doing a combination Murphy bed / desk for our new home when we downsize in the spring so I’ll be interested in how things went with you.

Will you be doing a natural wood finish? Or a painting finish? Where are you getting the hardware?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I've got the miter saw I wanted, but not a table saw yet. The deal was if my parents split the cost of it with my wife for my birthday last year, I'd make this Pinterest-y mountainscape for their new place in Banner Elk (they saw something like it at a craft fair and wanted it). That's been my most ambitious project to date, but I have others planned as well..

I’m on my 3rd table saw. Bought a cheap contractor saw to start and it was fine for most stuff, but took a lot of fussing. Finally broke down an bought a powermatic cabinet saw 20 years ago and it was great. After a near miss and with me getting older, my wife insisted that I get a sawstop to prevent cutting off my fingers.

I realize it’s expensive, but it’s a fantastic saw and I’ll never go without the safety features again. It is a fantastic saw as well.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So my daughters 5th check up, she’s 6% in height and 11% in weight. She’s a tiny one. But she’s growing, so nothing wrong.

We are going to start her in some therapy thought for anxiety, she witnessed my wifes seizures and other medical issues younger, and has a hard time with separation still.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
That’s great! I’ve been woodworking for over 20 years (as a hobby). Most recently did a bed, dresser and 2 night stands. I also plan on doing a combination Murphy bed / desk for our new home when we downsize in the spring so I’ll be interested in how things went with you.

Will you be doing a natural wood finish? Or a painting finish? Where are you getting the hardware?

Buying our bedroom furniture is actually what planted the seed in my mind. We love the furniture, but as I looked at it and thought about how much it cost us, I started thinking, "what's stopping me from making this?" I'm probably not quite ready to tackle that just yet, but it's something to work towards.

We're still debating what to do with the front panel of the Murphy bed, but I like the desk idea. All of our trim is painted, so I'm going to do a painted finish on this as well. The plan is to put some built-in shelves on either side of it, but that will have to wait for a few weeks. The hardware is from Rockler. I went with the set that includes the frame since we have a lot of people coming to town in a couple of weeks, and it meant less cutting for about the same money.

I’m on my 3rd table saw. Bought a cheap contractor saw to start and it was fine for most stuff, but took a lot of fussing. Finally broke down an bought a powermatic cabinet saw 20 years ago and it was great. After a near miss and with me getting older, my wife insisted that I get a sawstop to prevent cutting off my fingers.

I realize it’s expensive, but it’s a fantastic saw and I’ll never go without the safety features again. It is a fantastic saw as well.

I really might go straight to a SawStop when I'm ready for the table saw. The first time you see that blade spinning face-up on the table really puts the fear of God in you, or at least it did for me. I feel like it's the kind of thing I'll always eventually want, even if I don't have a near miss (or worse) along the way, so I might as well get the right one the first time.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
. All of our trim is painted, so I'm going to do a painted finish on this as well.

I've been doing a lot of painting of furniture and cabinets lately (refinishing furniture and painting and installing kitchen cabinets at our farm) after years of doing more natural finishes. I've learned a lot about what paints work well and which ones don't in terms of durability so if you want any tips, let me know. I've sprayed a lot of them, but also do some brushing/rolling. I have experience with regular latex from various companies, PPG Breakthrough, SW pro-classic Acryilic, General Finishes paints and topcoats, various chalk paints, etc... Murphy beds won't take a lot of abuse, unless there's a desk involved so you probably don't need anything too extravagant.

The plan is to put some built-in shelves on either side of it, but that will have to wait for a few weeks. The hardware is from Rockler. I went with the set that includes the frame since we have a lot of people coming to town in a couple of weeks, and it meant less cutting for about the same money.

Thanks. I'll check out Rockler. I've been looking on Amazon, but hard to really tell what is good and what isn't. Let me know how you like the Rockler hw. Rockler is usually a pretty good company.

I saw these guys designs and like them a lot, although I wasn't planning on doing one that extravagant, but I like a lot of their design features.

http://www.wwbeds.com/alpine-desk

I really might go straight to a SawStop when I'm ready for the table saw. The first time you see that blade spinning face-up on the table really puts the fear of God in you, or at least it did for me. I feel like it's the kind of thing I'll always eventually want, even if I don't have a near miss (or worse) along the way, so I might as well get the right one the first time.

I HIGHLY recommend it if you can afford it. Not only is it safe, it's a fantastic saw (at least the cabinet saw is). Safety features aside, I like it better than my powermatic. After years of woodworking, there are only a couple of tools I would never skimp on, and the table saw is #1 on the list.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I've been doing a lot of painting of furniture and cabinets lately (refinishing furniture and painting and installing kitchen cabinets at our farm) after years of doing more natural finishes. I've learned a lot about what paints work well and which ones don't in terms of durability so if you want any tips, let me know. I've sprayed a lot of them, but also do some brushing/rolling. I have experience with regular latex from various companies, PPG Breakthrough, SW pro-classic Acryilic, General Finishes paints and topcoats, various chalk paints, etc... Murphy beds won't take a lot of abuse, unless there's a desk involved so you probably don't need anything too extravagant.

Thanks. I'll check out Rockler. I've been looking on Amazon, but hard to really tell what is good and what isn't. Let me know how you like the Rockler hw. Rockler is usually a pretty good company.

I saw these guys designs and like them a lot, although I wasn't planning on doing one that extravagant, but I like a lot of their design features.

http://www.wwbeds.com/alpine-desk

I HIGHLY recommend it if you can afford it. Not only is it safe, it's a fantastic saw (at least the cabinet saw is). Safety features aside, I like it better than my powermatic. After years of woodworking, there are only a couple of tools I would never skimp on, and the table saw is #1 on the list.
I've actually never done a painted wood project before, so I'd be curious which paints you've had good luck with. The shelves are going to hold some kids' toys, so they'll need to stand up to some use. I don't have a sprayer so I'm probably looking at brushing & rolling, but was thinking of using some Floetrol to get a smoother finish.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Note to all these Johnny-come-lately places putting chicken and waffles on their menu:

YOU CAN'T JUST PUT SOME PRE-BREADED FROZEN CHICKEN IN THE FRYER, THROW IT ON TOP OF A WAFFLE AND CALL IT CHICKEN AND WAFFLES, YOU HIPSTER DOOFUS. PEOPLE WITH NAMES LIKE ROSCOE, CLARENCE AND MAXINE WORKED HARD TO MAKE THIS A THING AND YOU'RE TOTALLY WRECKING IT NOW. THIS IS EMBARRASSING. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD OR TAKE IT OFF THE MENU.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So an old ex-girlfriend of mine, and also a really good friend friend, got married recently. She lives in the Bay Area now, but we grew up together in Raleigh back in the day, and the old gang gets together here every so often. She and her man eloped because reasons, so none of us got to be at their wedding -- so they came back to Raleigh to have a little wedding party with us.

When we walked in, she said she had a gift for me -- and lo and behold, she presents me with my old 1993 Raleigh Icecaps jersey, in pristine condition.

It seems that she ended up with it when we all went our separate ways sometime in the mid 90s, and she just discovered it while going through all their mutual stuff.

So now I've got a "new" jersey to wear to games. I hope it's lucky. :)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So an old ex-girlfriend of mine, and also a really good friend friend, got married recently. She lives in the Bay Area now, but we grew up together in Raleigh back in the day, and the old gang gets together here every so often. She and her man eloped because reasons, so none of us got to be at their wedding -- so they came back to Raleigh to have a little wedding party with us.

When we walked in, she said she had a gift for me -- and lo and behold, she presents me with my old 1993 Raleigh Icecaps jersey, in pristine condition.

It seems that she ended up with it when we all went our separate ways sometime in the mid 90s, and she just discovered it while going through all their mutual stuff.

So now I've got a "new" jersey to wear to games. I hope it's lucky. :)

Dude, thats awesome! You gotta wear that, not many Icecaps jerseys around anymore sadly.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Dude, thats awesome! You gotta wear that, not many Icecaps jerseys around anymore sadly.

I know. I've been looking on Ebay on and off for years. She could have sold it to me for a couple hundred bucks and I would never have known, LOL -- but she had literally no idea whether I even wanted it. Apparently she came *this* close to just throwing it out.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
All good things must come to an end.

Man, we had some great times though, didn't we?
If by we, you mean those of us NOT driving the trucks under the bridge, then yes.

I saw the news report on the bridge raising, and one of the things they mentioned was that so many of the accidents were rental trucks because the drivers were not use to driving the larger vehicles. They pointed out that the rental agencies in Durham specifically tell their customers that if they hit that bridge, the insurance won't cover the cost of the damages, even if they bought the supplemental insurance. Average cost to fix those box trucks is $15-20K.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If by we, you mean those of us NOT driving the trucks under the bridge, then yes.

Yes, that's definitely what I mean. :)

I saw the news report on the bridge raising, and one of the things they mentioned was that so many of the accidents were rental trucks because the drivers were not use to driving the larger vehicles. They pointed out that the rental agencies in Durham specifically tell their customers that if they hit that bridge, the insurance won't cover the cost of the damages, even if they bought the supplemental insurance. Average cost to fix those box trucks is $15-20K.

I rented a truck literally last weekend from the U-Haul on US 70 in Durham, and there was no such disclaimer... hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad