Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah honestly I don’t really care about whether the eating pattern matters at all (wasn’t doing it for health reasons anyway, just a bonus), all the ketosis stuff has a ton of conflicting studies but there might be something to it. But it is blatantly clear that if I don’t eat two days a week I’m eating 5/7ths of my previous calories (ok, fine, ~6/7ths, I eat like a madman the day after, stomach ache be damned). Humans tend toward extremes, and simply not eating once or twice a week and then living your life the other days is easier (for many) than permanently changing your behavior 7 days a week.

so far the 16/8 has been my norm, trying an extended fast today. My wife has done the best with one meal a day or 40/8 fasts.

BabchukCanon

Jan 18, 2011
Apex, NC
I do Keto and about 4-5 days a week 16/8 Fasting. I've lost about 30-35 pounds since May when I started doing this. I have a while to go, but have felt pretty good about it. I haven't done much more than the 20 hour fasts. I'd like to, just not there yet. Keto for the past month as led to about 20 of the 35 pounds. I'm working to get to a cleaner Keto and try to reduce the dairy, but cheese is just too good.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
weightloss is a side effect of fasting, after 12 hours you are in ketosis (fat burning over drive) after 24 hours you are in autophagy, where you break down proteins that are linked to Alzheimer’s.

the benefits of fasting though are being studied, I think your body needs the rest times to do routine maintenance and clean up bad and weak cells

Are you still on the juice? If so, how's it treating you?

In my last couple blood panels, I've been on the lower range of normal for T...so I've been making changes to naturally boost it including intermittent fasting which supposedly can lead to a boost in T...been doing some other basic stuff like changes in diet and putting a stronger focus on sleep...interested to see how my next blood panel looks.

...one other note, 12 hours of fasting doesn't necessarily lead to ketosis as a general rule...it might for folks who are more metabolically flexible and/or who start the 12 hours with low glycogen.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Are you still on the juice? If so, how's it treating you?

In my last couple blood panels, I've been on the lower range of normal for T...so I've been making changes to naturally boost it including intermittent fasting which supposedly can lead to a boost in T...been doing some other basic stuff like changes in diet and putting a stronger focus on sleep...interested to see how my next blood panel looks.

...one other note, 12 hours of fasting doesn't necessarily lead to ketosis as a general rule...it might for folks who are more metabolically flexible and/or who start the 12 hours with low glycogen.

yup. still on TRT

it’s definitely helped a ton.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
so far the 16/8 has been my norm, trying an extended fast today. My wife has done the best with one meal a day or 40/8 fasts.

Yup. I've been 16/8 for going on three years now. Keeps me comfortably at 175 or under, even when I'm not eating particularly healthy. Skating a couple times a week also helps. Been as low as 168, but that's just too much work.

Was pushing 200 when I made the switch, and on my frame, 200 pounds was a baaaad thing.

And yes, water and soda water and black coffee. Lots of all of it.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In Finland we got an author/filmmaker/member of Parliament/diplomat Jörn Donner, whose film repertoire in 60's/70's was such that 'to jörn' is today popularly used verb for goings-on of copulative nature.

No one in Finland would leave their wife alone with a known jernigan.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah honestly I don’t really care about whether the eating pattern matters at all (wasn’t doing it for health reasons anyway, just a bonus), all the ketosis stuff has a ton of conflicting studies but there might be something to it. But it is blatantly clear that if I don’t eat two days a week I’m eating 5/7ths of my previous calories (ok, fine, ~6/7ths, I eat like a madman the day after, stomach ache be damned). Humans tend toward extremes, and simply not eating once or twice a week and then living your life the other days is easier (for many) than permanently changing your behavior 7 days a week.

I mean, I did the Keto thing earlier this year, and I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I cycled off of it and I only gained 10 back. I didn't do the fasting thing either. I'm about to go back on it, it works, but not something I'd do forever, but a good tool to manage weight.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I mean, I did the Keto thing earlier this year, and I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I cycled off of it and I only gained 10 back. I didn't do the fasting thing either. I'm about to go back on it, it works, but not something I'd do forever, but a good tool to manage weight.

Congrats!

To be clear, I don’t mean the Keto diet. I mean the notion that you can eat the same stuff, but time it differently through fasting to let your body hit “ketosis” and trick it into burning fat. And I’m not saying it’s fake, I’m saying there’s mixed studies, and I think people who do IF tend to put more emphasis on that and less emphasis on the fact that they’re eating less calories.

I think in general losing weight/fat is about being on the right side of the equation of calories in - calories out. And IF is a great way for many people to do that. But undue emphasis on trying to cheat that equation by “tricking” your body into burning more of a certain macro (“ketosis”), for me, kinda misses the mark and the point (even if there’s something to it).

Reactions: Unsustainable

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm drinking a lot of plant juice right now and feeling pretty great.

Don't get me wrong I'm still eating cheeseburgers and fried chicken and ****, not to extremes or anything. But switching from soda to plant juice Monday morning I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days.

I'm drinking alot too, but only because I ate a foul fried oyster at the Froggy Dog tonight, and I started salivating and sweating excessively, so I commenced pounding bourbon in an attempt to kill the bacteria that has entered me. It is a strategy that has worked before, lets hope it works again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->