Not open for further replies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What I learned from this video:

1) Don't go to Arkansas;
2) Some people are dumb enough to come to a pipe fight with just fists;
3) Americans need to stop making fun of British dental hygiene.

There’s an installation company based out of NC that we subcontract from time to time just because there’s no one else available.

They have two foremen I’ve worked with on a few occasions- identical twin brothers Larry and Gary. They’re from West Virginia and between the two of them I don’t think they have a full set of teeth. At first I actually used their teeth to tell them apart but I was too afraid of getting caught looking at them.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
The DOT is installing roundabouts all over Union County, a very scary proposition considering NO ONE here understands the rules. I took a bite out of my seat on Saturday when I had to drive up on the center circular median to avoid getting nailed by an idiot that didn't know they had to yield to traffic already in the roundabout.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There’s an installation company based out of NC that we subcontract from time to time just because there’s no one else available.

They have two foremen I’ve worked with on a few occasions- identical twin brothers Larry and Gary. They’re from West Virginia and between the two of them I don’t think they have a full set of teeth. At first I actually used their teeth to tell them apart but I was too afraid of getting caught looking at them.

Good job not looking because they probably thought you had a purdy mouf :laugh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The DOT is installing roundabouts all over Union County, a very scary proposition considering NO ONE here understands the rules. I took a bite out of my seat on Saturday when I had to drive up on the center circular median to avoid getting nailed by an idiot that didn't know they had to yield to traffic already in the roundabout.

I strongly dislike roundabouts

member 157595

From someone that lives in what I believe to be the rotary (that's what we call them) capital of the USA, I'd like to welcome you to the club.

Consider your first accident to be the initiation. It will come when you least expect it.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Roundabouts are fantastic when everybody follows the rules and absolute mayhem when they don’t. Just yesterday at north hills I saw someone make a LEFT into the one near the movie theater.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
250px-NonUK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

WTF is the green moron doing? I'm not talking about turning back to the same road he came from, but when he leaves it he does it from the inmost line in the roundabout. Are there no legit lines in this roundabout? This is ****ing accident just waiting to happen!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Roundabouts are literally the best. So much better than an intersection. Even big scary multiple lane ones I can do in my sleep these days.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
We have a traffic circle here between our commercial strip and border crossing. There are only two in the entire province of Ontario.

The local government has been fighting for a few years over whether or not to conduct a $250,000 study on turning it into a roundabout. Thankfully it was rejected last fall.

The difference is that in a roundabout you yield to the traffic already in the circle before entering while in a traffic circle you are free to enter but if you want to cross the 12 o’clock or 6 o’clock you have to yield. You can enter freely at either end and drive straight through but you can’t circle around freely if that makes sense.

member 157595

In Ireland, outside of cities stoplights are rare and roads often intersect at roundabouts. While it's admittedly strange to travel clockwise around a roundabout, at least at those people come to a stop. I had no trouble over there except when I ran into the flock of sheep (seriously).

In Massachusetts...we have rotaries. A lot of them. What's the rule? Simple: you floor it and you f***ing pray.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The problem with most American roundabouts is that the diameter is far too small. They are essentially stop signs if you have to stop and wait for the the guy/gal in the roundabout to exit before getting in. The good ones are large.

All the ones in NC are too small.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Used to tell people who asked for advice about riding motorcycles - There are two types of people on the road: One of them, the majority, can't see you at all. The other type CAN see you, and they're trying to kill you.

Boggles my mind when I’m in the USA and see people riding with no helmet.

I’m sure the wind in your hair must feel cool and all but having an intact skull, a functioning brain and being alive are pretty cool, too.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Used to tell people who asked for advice about riding motorcycles - There are two types of people on the road: One of them, the majority, can't see you at all. The other type CAN see you, and they're trying to kill you.

Will never be able to shake the mental image of driving home from a Canes game last year and seeing a motorcyclist lying dead on the side of I-40, like a quarter mile ahead of his bike. Brrrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad