Hurricanes Lounge XXIX: The "Hot and Cold" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Motorcycle Pointers

1) There are two types of motorcycle riders: those that have been down and those that are going to go down...
2) See #1 above and dress for the crash, not the ride.

I wear an armored leather jacket, reinforced gloves, kevlar jeans, and a full face helmet. I laugh and shake my head when I see riders in shorts, a wife beater, and flip flops. Those fools are going to hate it when they bite it.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Motorcycle Pointers

1) There are two types of motorcycle riders: those that have been down and those that are going to go down...
2) See #1 above and dress for the crash, not the ride.

I wear an armored leather jacket, reinforced gloves, kevlar jeans, and a full face helmet. I laugh and shake my head when I see riders in shorts, a wife beater, and flip flops. Those fools are going to hate it when they bite it.

Yep. Full face helmet saved my face and most likely my life. Good jacket and gloves did their job. Kevlar jeans would have been better than denim but if I'd had some armor or padding in my knees it would've gone a long way to reducing the 12 weeks I was out of work.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Have a friend who used to ride, he hit a vulture on the way in to work one morning. He was extremely lucky in that he didn’t die but he had to unwrap the bird from his torso and said he’ll never forget the smell. Not long after his parents bought his bike from him after a family friend lost a leg in an accident. Knew a guy in school whose life was pretty much ruined by medical debt after he wiped out and went spread eagle into a metal pole. I’ve rethought my motorcycle dreams.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Helmets weren't necessary in SC when I lived there. I had an ex whose mother was an ER nurse and she had a nickname for people who rode their bikes without a helmet: organ donors.
Also called squids. Stupid, quick, underdressed, imminently dead.

I had a childhood friend that died a few years ago on his motorcycle through no fault of his own. A guy in a car didn't see him, pulled out in front of him and he t-boned the side of the car. He was a safe rider that wore all the regular safety equipment but that still wasn't enough. You are at the mercy of some very stupid drivers no matter how good of a rider you are and what type of safety equipment you wear. I had always toyed with the idea of getting a motorcycle, even if just to ride casually when not commuting. That went out of the window after hearing the news of what happened to my old friend.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How the **** do you pick up on things like that? How do you have such a solid grasp of the English language? I don't ****ing get you.
Well this one was kind of giveaway and the article writer's joke really; the way they used the term the second time in quotation marks wasn't an accident.

But the whole concept of regularity to me is a specifically American thing, brought to me by continuous usage in the TV entertainment where some old guy tells uninterested people that he's regular. No one in my whereabouts ever boasts about his timely bowel actions. So it kinds of pops up in every English-language presentation they use it in any meaning of the word, to the extent that I can't ever take scuba diving as a hobby.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Well this one was kind of giveaway and the article writer's joke really; the way they used the term the second time in quotation marks wasn't an accident.

But the whole concept of regularity to me is a specifically American thing, brought to me by continuous usage in the TV entertainment where some old guy tells uninterested people that he's regular. No one in my whereabouts ever boasts about his timely bowel actions. So it kinds of pops up in every English-language presentation they use it in any meaning of the word, to the extent that I can't ever take scuba diving as a hobby.

You're a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->